Indiana gun laws - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Indiana gun laws

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dragunovsks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West of Louisville KY,Indiana
Posts: 2,310
Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdaddy

So you are telling me as long as you are in you automobile you cannot have access to it at all? Even with a ccl witch indiana does issue one of my buddies just got his.
No, with an Indiana "license to carry handgun" permit it can be anywhere in your vehicle, including on your hip and loaded.

Without the permit weapon must be unloaded and transported seperate from the ammo, both weapon and ammo must not be accessible from the drivers seat while operating the vehicle.
__________________

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

dragunovsks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
redneckdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdaddy

So you are telling me as long as you are in you automobile you cannot have access to it at all? Even with a ccl witch indiana does issue one of my buddies just got his.
Sorry I take that back its a license to carry permit that he has. But still with that do u have to have it out of your reach and unloaded in vehicle?
__________________
redneckdaddy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dragunovsks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West of Louisville KY,Indiana
Posts: 2,310
Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdaddy

Sorry I take that back its a license to carry permit that he has. But still with that do u have to have it out of your reach and unloaded in vehicle?
No, with the permit its legal to have it on your hip or in the center console, under your leg or wherever else you want.
__________________

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

dragunovsks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pistolpacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 21
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Here's section 1 of the state statue. Talks about vehicles also in its summary

35-47-2-1 Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
(b) Unless the person's right to possess a firearm has been restored under IC 3-7-13-5 or IC 33-28-4-8, a person who has been convicted of domestic battery under IC 35-42-2-1.3 may not possess or carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body in the person's dwelling or on the person's property or fixed place of business.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.326-1987, SEC.1; P.L.195-2003, SEC.6; P.L.98-2004, SEC.155.

__________________
pistolpacker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
redneckdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 36
Default

Ok that is a lot of info. I was under the impression that if I was pulled over with it in my vehicle without a permit even if it is unloaded and out of my reach that I would be breaking the law and could lose the weapon and maybe serve time. This summed up a lot for me and I'm still gonna get the ccl. Just wanting to make sure before I get pulled over with it out of my reach. Thanks all!

__________________
redneckdaddy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dragunovsks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: West of Louisville KY,Indiana
Posts: 2,310
Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdaddy
Ok that is a lot of info. I was under the impression that if I was pulled over with it in my vehicle without a permit even if it is unloaded and out of my reach that I would be breaking the law and could lose the weapon and maybe serve time. This summed up a lot for me and I'm still gonna get the ccl. Just wanting to make sure before I get pulled over with it out of my reach. Thanks all!
It would be in your best interest to get it, that way your bases are covered.

Another tip: Enform police officers you have it if pulled over, you're not legally obligated to but in my experiences if you show the officer you care for his safety and are willing to cooperate it'll most likely enfluence his decision on whether to give you a ticket or send you on your merry way.

What part of Indiana are you from?
__________________

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380


Last edited by dragunovsks; 09-09-2012 at 09:46 PM.
dragunovsks is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 23
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Spend the extra few bucks for the lifetime license. It's the same process but one and done!!

__________________
luckey37 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
redneckdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks

It would be in your best interest to get it, that way your bases are covered.

Another tip: Enform police officers you have it if pulled over, you're not legally obligated to but in my experiences if you show the officer you care for his safety and are willing to cooperate it'll most likely enfluence his decision on whether to give you a ticket or send you on your merry way.

What part of Indiana are you from?
Southern Indiana Vanderburgh,Warrick
__________________
redneckdaddy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
redneckdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckey37
Spend the extra few bucks for the lifetime license. It's the same process but one and done!!
Yea that's my plan. Plus you never know when they are gonna do away with it.
__________________
redneckdaddy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Fathead00's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 2,922
Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdaddy

Yea that's my plan. Plus you never know when they are gonna do away with it.
Yea you have to go with lifetime. Me and ZG bought the lifetime for $136 each in Northwest Indiana.
__________________
Fathead00 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes