Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Indiana gun laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Indiana gun laws

Is it legal to transport a handgun from the gun shop that you buy it from or to the range without any license? What's a firearms owners license and how do you get one and if I get a ccl will that be all I will need?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

as of July 2011 you need no license to transport or shoot at a range. But must inaccessable to driver...ammo and gun in different parts of the vehicle.

there are two forms of license,

1) "hunting" license. Must carry open and afield.
2) Concealed Carry license, unlimited carry.

Two forms of Concealed carry license.

A) 4 year
B) Lifetime

http://aries.in.gov/Firearms/Permit.aspx
http://www.usacarry.com/indiana_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #3

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

Yes its legal to do so, just unload it and transport it in a case. You don't need a license to own a firearm in Indiana, I own plenty of firearms and have no such license. I do have a handgun permit for carrying but I had my handguns before the license.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 09-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #4

Why does it say in that link that you can only carry a firearm in an automobile with a indiana handgun permit if you do not need one?

Old 09-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdaddy View Post
Why does it say in that link that you can only carry a firearm in an automobile with a indiana handgun permit if you do not need one?
Probably means loaded.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #6

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckdaddy
Carrying a firearm in a vehicle is different than transporting it home from a gunstore or to/from a range.

I carry, on my hip, a loaded and cocked pistol in my truck everyday but I have a handgun permit which allows me to do so. Indiana State Police and lawmakers understand that some people may have to drive thier weapons to a range to shoot provided they don't have the safe means to shoot at home.

To transport it without a permit you should unload it and put the ammo and weapon in seperate spots in the car. It has to be inaccessible to you while driving.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 09-09-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks

Carrying a firearm in a vehicle is different than transporting it home from a gunstore or to/from a range.

I carry, on my hip, a loaded and cocked pistol in my truck everyday but I have a handgun permit which allows me to do so. Indiana State Police and lawmakers understand that some people may have to drive thier weapons to a range to shoot provided they don't have the safe means to shoot at home.

To transport it without a permit you should unload it and put the ammo and weapon in seperate spots in the car. It has to be inaccessible to you while driving.
So is a ccl going to let me keep a loaded gun on me and in my truck too? Is that a ccl or a firearms carry permit. Is there two different permits and if so what do they permit you to do? Loaded with one chambered or unloaded?

Old 09-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

ccl is CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE.

With the CCL or CCW (Concealed carry WEAPON) you can carry vitually ANYWHERE in the state. No schools or building housing courtrooms...all else is fair game.

The Hunting permit or "handgun license" is for hunting only. You MUST open carry and carry only whilst in the field. its for hunting purposes but you CAN carry "cocked and locked" as it were.

Also, the information on the interwebz...the links i posted...may be dated as i stated before, as of 7/2011 some MAJOR changes took place regarding carry law here.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually, Indiana does NOT issue a "concealed carry permit". They issue a " LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN". There is no distinction between open or concealed in Indiana. Either one is legal if you have the "license".

As far as transport is concerned, the weapon must be kept in the back of the vehicle. Ammo must be kept in another location in the vehicle but not accessible from the drivers seat

Old 09-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpacker
Actually, Indiana does NOT issue a "concealed carry permit". They issue a " LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN". There is no distinction between open or concealed in Indiana. Either one is legal if you have the "license".

As far as transport is concerned, the weapon must be kept in the back of the vehicle. Ammo must be kept in another location in the vehicle but not accessible from the drivers seat
So you are telling me as long as you are in you automobile you cannot have access to it at all? Even with a ccl witch indiana does issue one of my buddies just got his.