Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Indiana gun laws (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/indiana-gun-laws-72125/)

redneckdaddy 09-09-2012 03:56 PM

Indiana gun laws

Is it legal to transport a handgun from the gun shop that you buy it from or to the range without any license? What's a firearms owners license and how do you get one and if I get a ccl will that be all I will need?

fmj 09-09-2012 04:45 PM

as of July 2011 you need no license to transport or shoot at a range. But must inaccessable to driver...ammo and gun in different parts of the vehicle.

there are two forms of license,

1) "hunting" license. Must carry open and afield.
2) Concealed Carry license, unlimited carry.

Two forms of Concealed carry license.

A) 4 year
B) Lifetime

http://aries.in.gov/Firearms/Permit.aspx
http://www.usacarry.com/indiana_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

dragunovsks 09-09-2012 04:47 PM

Yes its legal to do so, just unload it and transport it in a case. You don't need a license to own a firearm in Indiana, I own plenty of firearms and have no such license. I do have a handgun permit for carrying but I had my handguns before the license.

redneckdaddy 09-09-2012 05:07 PM

Why does it say in that link that you can only carry a firearm in an automobile with a indiana handgun permit if you do not need one?

firedawg60 09-09-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckdaddy (Post 934308)
Why does it say in that link that you can only carry a firearm in an automobile with a indiana handgun permit if you do not need one?

Probably means loaded.

dragunovsks 09-09-2012 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckdaddy

Carrying a firearm in a vehicle is different than transporting it home from a gunstore or to/from a range.

I carry, on my hip, a loaded and cocked pistol in my truck everyday but I have a handgun permit which allows me to do so. Indiana State Police and lawmakers understand that some people may have to drive thier weapons to a range to shoot provided they don't have the safe means to shoot at home.

To transport it without a permit you should unload it and put the ammo and weapon in seperate spots in the car. It has to be inaccessible to you while driving.

redneckdaddy 09-09-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks

Carrying a firearm in a vehicle is different than transporting it home from a gunstore or to/from a range.

I carry, on my hip, a loaded and cocked pistol in my truck everyday but I have a handgun permit which allows me to do so. Indiana State Police and lawmakers understand that some people may have to drive thier weapons to a range to shoot provided they don't have the safe means to shoot at home.

To transport it without a permit you should unload it and put the ammo and weapon in seperate spots in the car. It has to be inaccessible to you while driving.

So is a ccl going to let me keep a loaded gun on me and in my truck too? Is that a ccl or a firearms carry permit. Is there two different permits and if so what do they permit you to do? Loaded with one chambered or unloaded?

fmj 09-09-2012 06:40 PM

ccl is CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE.

With the CCL or CCW (Concealed carry WEAPON) you can carry vitually ANYWHERE in the state. No schools or building housing courtrooms...all else is fair game.

The Hunting permit or "handgun license" is for hunting only. You MUST open carry and carry only whilst in the field. its for hunting purposes but you CAN carry "cocked and locked" as it were.

Also, the information on the interwebz...the links i posted...may be dated as i stated before, as of 7/2011 some MAJOR changes took place regarding carry law here.

pistolpacker 09-09-2012 06:48 PM

Actually, Indiana does NOT issue a "concealed carry permit". They issue a " LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN". There is no distinction between open or concealed in Indiana. Either one is legal if you have the "license".

As far as transport is concerned, the weapon must be kept in the back of the vehicle. Ammo must be kept in another location in the vehicle but not accessible from the drivers seat

redneckdaddy 09-09-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolpacker
Actually, Indiana does NOT issue a "concealed carry permit". They issue a " LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUN". There is no distinction between open or concealed in Indiana. Either one is legal if you have the "license".

As far as transport is concerned, the weapon must be kept in the back of the vehicle. Ammo must be kept in another location in the vehicle but not accessible from the drivers seat

So you are telling me as long as you are in you automobile you cannot have access to it at all? Even with a ccl witch indiana does issue one of my buddies just got his.