Imminent Threat, What to Carry? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Imminent Threat, What to Carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Hey guys quick advice. Long story short, I started dating a girl who's ex is a crazy gangmember who has been to prison for attempted murder. I stopped seeing the girl just to avoid the whole situation and never responded to him in any way. I filed a report with police about his threats. He even sent me stuff on Facebook and text (got the number from the girls phone). So here's my question. Having a high likelihood of armed and multiple attackers coming for me, what is my best load-out option til this blows over? I have the following Glocks for consideration. G27,G23,G30,G19,G21.
I'm not sure why we had all the drama and lectures in this thread. The OP seems to be taking the right steps to avoid conflict. He is asking for advice about how he should arm himself in case the fight comes to him, which because of his circumstances seems more likely than many of us who carry everyday already. Yes, it is always best to avoid a fight, but how far should he retreat? Should he sell his home and move to another city? How much should we let the threat of violence impact our liberty?

In answer to the OP's question, if I was equally proficient with all these firearms and decided to carry two handguns, I would choose the Glock 23 & 27. One gun only, I would choose the Glock 19 or 23. The combination of portability and firepower makes these the best choices IMHO.

You could also consider making the Glock 19 or 21 a car gun, placed in such a way that it would be easier to deploy than the firearms concealed on your body. Also the 19 or 21 could become a dedicated house gun, left in a convenient location that is easily accessible.

That said, the likelihood of an true altercation is low, especially if you practice awareness and avoidance. Make yourself familiar with local law enforcement stations, and if you are challenged on the road call 9-1-1 and make your way towards one of these stations. If you are forced into an armed encounter, its hard to paint you as an aggressor when you tried to retreat into the arms of law.

The longer you go without a problem, the more likely your ex-girlfriend will find a new person for her psycho ex to focus on.

Good luck.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 08-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #42

Sorry but this reminds me of a song...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 08-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #43
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1336 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post
Yes, it is always best to avoid a fight, but how far should he retreat? Should he sell his home and move to another city? How much should we let the threat of violence impact our liberty?

You could also consider making the Glock 19 or 21 a car gun, placed in such a way that it would be easier to deploy than the firearms concealed on your body. Also the 19 or 21 could become a dedicated house gun, left in a convenient location that is easily accessible.

That said, the likelihood of an true altercation is low, especially if you practice awareness and avoidance. Make yourself familiar with local law enforcement stations, and if you are challenged on the road call 9-1-1 and make your way towards one of these stations. If you are forced into an armed encounter, its hard to paint you as an aggressor when you tried to retreat into the arms of law.

The longer you go without a problem, the more likely your ex-girlfriend will find a new person for her psycho ex to focus on.

Good luck.
I have to agree; no one should have to absorb the expense of moving because they chose to associate with someone that has a crazed Ex. Moving because of this type of violence is surrendering to it.

The Glock 21 would be a wonderful car gun as the .45 round does a great job of crashing through windshields, side glass, doors and related barriers and retaining enough energy to do damage to the BG. Also, as a car gun, it's not as necessary to hide the 21, simply find a convenient way to mount it.

A printed map of police stations and sub-stations, sheriff's departments, highway patrol and state police offices in your area tacked to your dashboard or kept close in the car would show to a court of law a predisposition for retreat and involvement of law enforcement should there be a problem on the road. Always a good idea to consider liability ahead of time.

Also have to agree with the "longer you go..." statement. As soon as you know she has moved on to someone else seriously, you are most likely off the hook, as long as you have not made an enemy out of this guy personally before that happens.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:06 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Also have to agree with the "longer you go..." statement. As soon as you know she has moved on to someone else seriously, you are most likely off the hook, as long as you have not made an enemy out of this guy personally before that happens.
Perhaps you could turn somebody you don't like on to her? Preferably somebody with herpes.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #45

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Dizll, If you are dealing with a group of hardcore ex-cons, they are going to either rush you when you are not expecting it or attack you in your vehicle. Either way, they will try to get you off-guard and away from equipment (shotguns, body armor), support (friends, family, co-workers) and cover (buildings). This means your place of business and home are probably safe unless they have huge numbers and are really well organized. Expect a parking lot attack while carrying groceries, a traffic accident while away from the busier part of your route, and possible car breakdown like car overheating or tire going flat (sabotage).

Your gun will need to be used to hold off rushing attackers while you find cover and call 9-1-1. Chances are they will have planned for police to be at least 10-15 minutes away, if not more. You should have plenty of ammunition and a personal first aid kit that includes quick clot for bullet and knife wounds, should you survive them. I would also suggest a spare battery for your phone or one of the rechargeable batteries that plugs into your phone to charge your cell in case your car is crippled.

As a personal choice, I would go with .357Sig, 9mm or other small profile but capable caliber. Use extended magazines and keep a drop pouch or shoulder bag or brief case with 5-6 extra magazines (you should have 2-4 on you), your personal first aid kit and a spare paid cell phone (if you can afford it) along with you in the car to grab if you have to run. Do not stand and engage; fire at them to stop them or make them seek cover, then retreat to cover. Keep moving-don't give them a stationary target. Get 9-1-1 moving as soon as possible. Leave the line open so they can hear the whole thing - a bluetooth headset allows your hands to remain free for this. Narrate everything that happens - remember, it's all recorded.

Admittedly, this is worst case scenario, but based on my experience with actual convicts. You can modify for your own economy or personal tastes. I hope it helps.
This is intense!

Old 08-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #46

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Just an update... Been EDC the G23 with folding stock Mossberg as a trunk monkey. I haven't heard directly from the dude at all but I heard (thankfully) that a friend of a friend who is Metro gave him some advice that cops don't like peple who mess with badges, even though mine is fire :-)

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 08-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #47

Never heard of premeditated self defense? But i think your headed the right direction.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #48

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzll View Post
Just an update... Been EDC the G23 with folding stock Mossberg as a trunk monkey. I haven't heard directly from the dude at all but I heard (thankfully) that a friend of a friend who is Metro gave him some advice that cops don't like peple who mess with badges, even though mine is fire :-)
Truth...a daggum off-duty smoke eater held my guts together after a stupid rookie mistake almost ended my career when it just got started many many years ago.

I have to give you credit for doing all you can to avoid conflict with this feminine hygeine product (can we call someone a douchebag here?). You have already shown more restraint than I probably would have, given the same situation back in my youth.

The "Kill 'em all" attitude gets you nowhere, as I see you already know and understand. Be safe, remain aware, and remember, if you HAVE to shoot, shoot to stop the imminent and otherwise unavoidable threat of death or grave bodily harm.

The whole "Don't talk to the cops" is misleading too. Never give up too much info...but you have to make it clear on scene that YOU are the victim. Point out any weapons the subject had, or any witnesses that will benefit YOU. All you need to say and then shut up is "Officer, I want to answer all your questions, but I am really shaken up right now and I don't want to make any mistakes. I will cooperate fully once I have a chance to speak to my lawyer, and have him with me." Then....hush.

Remember one thing above all else...When officers arrive on scene DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU, and I mean RIGHT NOW. If they tell you to drop your gun and do a cartwheel...do it. Don't die of stupid after you have survived what is a horrible moment in your life.

"Officer...this man has been threatening me with _______, and I had a restraining order. He and his ______ showed up with _______ weapon. I told them I didn't want trouble, and I tried to leave. They wouldn't let me, and I was FORCED to fire in defense of my life. There is his gun/knife/ball bat right there." That is a statement that clearly shows you as the victim, but doesn't give away any more than that. YOU are the vic, you were forced to fire in self defense. Then you wait for your attorney.

But, I am probably telling you what you already know based upon the way you have handled this situation thus far. Remember to document every contact and every threat. That paper trail paints you as the victim with the subject's own brush.

Be safe, stay safe.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #49

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

Excellent advice Az lawman.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #50
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
Truth...a daggum off-duty smoke eater held my guts together after a stupid rookie mistake almost ended my career when it just got started many many years ago.

I have to give you credit for doing all you can to avoid conflict with this feminine hygeine product (can we call someone a douchebag here?). You have already shown more restraint than I probably would have, given the same situation back in my youth.

The "Kill 'em all" attitude gets you nowhere, as I see you already know and understand. Be safe, remain aware, and remember, if you HAVE to shoot, shoot to stop the imminent and otherwise unavoidable threat of death or grave bodily harm.

The whole "Don't talk to the cops" is misleading too. Never give up too much info...but you have to make it cleawr on scene that YOU are the victim. Point out any weapons the subject had, or any witnesses that will benefit YOU. All you need to say and then shut up is "Officer, I want to answer all your questions, but I am really shaken up right now and I don't want to make any mistakes. I will cooperate fully once I have a chance to speak to my lawyer, and have him with me." Then....hush.

Remember one thing above all else...When officers arrive on scene DO WHAT THEY TELL YOU, and I mean RIGHT NOW. If they tell you to drop your gun and do a cartwheel...do it. Don't die of stupid after you have survived what is a horrible moment in your life.

"Officer...this man has been threatening me with _______, and I had a restraining order. He and his ______ showed up with _______ weapon. I told them I didn't want trouble, and I tried to leave. They wouldn't let me, and I was FORCED to fire in defense of my life. There is his gun/knife/ball bat right there." That is a statement that clearly shows you as the victim, but doesn't give away any more than that. YOU are the vic, you were forced to fire in self defense. Then you wait for your attorney.

But, I am probably telling you what you already know based upon the way you have handled this situation thus far. Remember to document every contact and every threat. That paper trail paints you as the victim with the subject's own brush.

Be safe, stay safe.

Great advice and words to always remember for all of us who do conceal carry. Thank you for posting and take care, Ed