Imminent Threat, What to Carry? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Imminent Threat, What to Carry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #31
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

2 G17's with 33 round clips, that ought to be enough.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:24 AM   #32

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
2 G17's with 33 round clips, that ought to be enough.
No, no

You put one of these on each hip:

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 07-29-2011, 12:27 AM   #33

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
No, no

You put one of these on each hip:

LOL! Yep, nothin' like a good blaster, kid!

Old 07-29-2011, 01:21 AM   #34

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post
Then in a survival situation where you have no alternative... don't hesitate, pull it, shoot straight, shoot to kill!!
I believe you mean "shoot to end the threat" kind sir, thank you for your prayers...

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 07-29-2011, 01:59 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzll View Post
lol, I like how some people act like it's my fault... I live in Vegas. First place I lived here some *******s tried to kick my door in, now this. I lived in Orange County for 29 years and never had a problem....
"What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas," just took on a whole new twist Sorry, I couldn't resist

Serious stuff you got going on there dizzl. Be careful out there!

Prescribed Fire is Mother Nature's plastic surgeon.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:35 AM   #36
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzll View Post
I never said I was planning anything offensively. I work for the government (not LE but important enough) and my character is not an issue. I have made it very clear that I am already afraid for my life and have attempted to de-escalate and ignore the situation. However with a direct threat being made to my life I am simply asking the advice of more experienced gun owning citizens the best armament to protect my life if necessary. Luckily they have zero idea where I live or what I drive. I just don't like the idea of someone looking for me, no matter how small the chances of them finding me. Thank you all for your advice

I expect your ex girlfriend knows your name, with that information, the city you live in there are plenty of online paid services that will fill in the blanks. Include they have your phone number (they sent you text messages) and hit you up on Facebook (they know who your friends are on FB and all the other personal info people on FB tend to share). Lots of information given to assist in finding you. Also considering you dated this girl I expect you talked a bit about what you do for a living and where you live, it's a natural part of getting to know a person you are dating and I expect she has been in your car again something that happens when you date a person. If you didn't give up any personal information or let her in your car it would be odd. Unless you made up a story and it's her big brother looking for you now Or your a "Special Operations" type that has to keep his life on the down low and have a fake back story to keep your personal life away from your work

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #37
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7814 Times on 4690 Posts
Likes Given: 9830

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

In the immortal words of Clint Smith, "The #1 rule of a gun fight is to AVOID IT! The best example of good training is to never get in a fight."

Most folks believe the first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun. That is not correct! Clint Smith would be the first to tell you, "Gunfighting Rule No. 1 is if there is any way possible to avoid a gunfight, do it. Anyone carrying a firearm for self defense who doesn't adhere to this rule needs to re-think the whole aspect of carrying."

If you go hunting for hunters, insist they "call out" a count, because if you miss just one...you will die.
Listen to this man. He knows his stuff.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #38

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Obviously you can't just pick up and move at any given time. Easier said than done. As long as your in contact with the authorities about the situation that could be the biggest help. But...unfortunately they can't be there at the drop of a hat. I'd get real familiar with your G21 or your G19. Practice your draw religiously every day. Wear the right gear. Prepare for the worst. Be very attentive to your daily habits. Don't drive to work the same way every day. Change up your daily routine. You can never be fully prepared for what might happen in this situation, but practice the scenarios in your head to mentally prepare for the worst. There's no shame in retreating. Only draw your weapon if you feel confident you're getting them down. Not every situation is winable no matter the experience......but training your mind and body to be ready could give you the upper hand in a gunfight. REMEMBER TO GET OFF THE X IF A GUNFIGHT DOES OCCUR.
Good luck my friend. God bless

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 AM   #39
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1337 Times on 701 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Default A Truly Ugly Scenario

Dizll, If you are dealing with a group of hardcore ex-cons, they are going to either rush you when you are not expecting it or attack you in your vehicle. Either way, they will try to get you off-guard and away from equipment (shotguns, body armor), support (friends, family, co-workers) and cover (buildings). This means your place of business and home are probably safe unless they have huge numbers and are really well organized. Expect a parking lot attack while carrying groceries, a traffic accident while away from the busier part of your route, and possible car breakdown like car overheating or tire going flat (sabotage).

Your gun will need to be used to hold off rushing attackers while you find cover and call 9-1-1. Chances are they will have planned for police to be at least 10-15 minutes away, if not more. You should have plenty of ammunition and a personal first aid kit that includes quick clot for bullet and knife wounds, should you survive them. I would also suggest a spare battery for your phone or one of the rechargeable batteries that plugs into your phone to charge your cell in case your car is crippled.

As a personal choice, I would go with .357Sig, 9mm or other small profile but capable caliber. Use extended magazines and keep a drop pouch or shoulder bag or brief case with 5-6 extra magazines (you should have 2-4 on you), your personal first aid kit and a spare paid cell phone (if you can afford it) along with you in the car to grab if you have to run. Do not stand and engage; fire at them to stop them or make them seek cover, then retreat to cover. Keep moving-don't give them a stationary target. Get 9-1-1 moving as soon as possible. Leave the line open so they can hear the whole thing - a bluetooth headset allows your hands to remain free for this. Narrate everything that happens - remember, it's all recorded.

Admittedly, this is worst case scenario, but based on my experience with actual convicts. You can modify for your own economy or personal tastes. I hope it helps.

Last edited by TekGreg; 08-01-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #40

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Keep your head on a swivel, know where your exits are, and watch hands. Hands kill. If you see some thugs in your area and their hands are in their pockets or otherwise shady places, be alert.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".