Illinois carry/transportation laws...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Illinois carry/transportation laws...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Illinois carry/transportation laws...

So I live in KY and am planning on visiting some friends that live in St. Louis MO. To do so we have to travel though Illinois... since IL doesn't allow US citizens to carry firearms to protect themselves, I assume that in order to be legal I need to keep mine in a box in the trunk while going through IL?

MO recognizes KY permits, so no worries there. God I hate liberal bastards that don't recognize our constitutional rights to protect ourselves. That's why I'll never live in a state that doesn't let me carry...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #2

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Carry Concealed

Old 12-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #3

Default Liberal Bastards

You said it!

I am currently serving in the U.S. Navy in Chicago. Talk about being in enemy territory.

Anyway, a circuit court decision just came out stating that a glove box is a legal place to store a concealed weapon as long as it's unloaded. You can still have access to it, but the guy with his gun in your face (who may or may not be a cop...hey...it's Illinois after all...) probably gets the jump on you.

I'd say you have two options: Carry it on your body and don't get pulled over, or store it with the ammunition OUT OF THE GUN in your glove box. If you store it in your glove box, make sure your license and registration (and proof of insurance specifically in Illinois) are sitting on top so that if you do get pulled over, you can grab the stuff and close the box before the cop walks up. It's not illegal, but a problem you should avoid non-the-less, because not all cops know the law.

What I always say in Illinois (I suppose this applies to pretty much anywhere) is this: "they can't deny your rights if they don't know you're using them." Keep that in mind.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:57 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopps402 View Post
What I always say in Illinois (I suppose this applies to pretty much anywhere) is this: "they can't deny your rights if they don't know you're using them." Keep that in mind.
Advocating breaking the law isn't a very good idea. Just think, if you commit a felony you can never, ever, own a gun again!

Old 12-29-2009, 02:56 PM   #5

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
MO recognizes KY permits, so no worries there.
Small correction...... MO recognizes ALL states permits.

I sometimes attend gun shows across the river, and never bring a firearm with me. If I do purchase anything at a show in Ill-annoy, it goes into a locked case in the trunk - any any ammunition goes into a separate (also locked) container in the trunk.

IL Troopers = Cook County politics. Bad Juju......

MO Troopers have a simple rule: Don't show me yours, and I won't show you mine!

Enjoy your protected stay in our fine state.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #6

Liked 134 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 245

yeah, i live in chicago,, so i've been reading up on the various illinois and local gun laws and ordinances...

thankfully i have an office in an outlying suburb, that doesn'y have an ordinance with restrictions above and beyond the state law, and that is where i keep my goods, safely locked away.

it is actually illegal to possess a "laser sight accessory" in the city of chicago.....figure that one out.

i'm not suggesting anyone do anything illegal but i also know folks who have kept their entire collections in their chicago residence, handguns included, for well over ten years, unregistered, discretely ofcourse but without incident or problems.

either way i found this link to be helpful with the lawful verbage in and about illinois

Municipal Ordinances Relating To Firearms Public Act 92-0238

Old 01-03-2010, 05:36 AM   #7
cbw

Default Former commard from IL

Now living in AZ and loving it! While in IL you have the 6 sec rule. It has kinda been covered here. You must have your weapon unloaded, cased (hard or soft) and the magazine in an area that is accessible in 6 seconds.

Or you can just keep in unloaded in a case with no chance of getting to any ammo. I inserted the letter you can carry in your glove box to give to police to CYA but most of them are not aware of this right and can and will take your gun(s) from you. Good Luck!

I respectfully do not consent to any search of my person, premises, vehicle or belongings. My Firearms Owners ID Card number is: ________. The following information is provided regarding the legal carrying and transportation of unloaded firearms in Illinois:
What is Unlawful Use of Firearms?
Section 24-1 of the Criminal Code of 1961:
"(a) a person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
*** (4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun, taser or other firearm." 720 ILCS 5/24-1(a)(4)(West 1994).
The Code also provides for certain situations in which section 24-1(a)(4) does not apply. Section 24-2(i) provides:
"nothing in this Article shall prohibit, apply to, or affect the transportation, carrying, or possession of any pistol, revolver, stun gun, taser, or other firearm which is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container, by the possessor of a valid Firearms Owners Identification Card." 720 ILCS 5/24-2(i)(West 1994).

Excerpt from Public Act 91-0690 (Safe Neighborhoods Act)
(720 ILCS 5/24-1) (from Ch. 38, par. 24-1)
Sec. 24-1. Unlawful Use of Weapons.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons when he knowingly:
(4) Carries or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode or fixed place of business any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's identification Card;

The Illinois State Police pamphlet titled "Transport Your Gun Legally - Commonly asked questions on transporting firearms” George H. Ryan, Governor; Illinois State Police, Sam W. Nolen, Director; Dept. of Natural Resources, Brent Manning, Director states:

Three statutory codes regulate the possession, transfer, and transportation of firearms- the Criminal Code, the Wildlife Code, and the Firearm Owner's Identification Act. Under Unlawful Use of Weapons (UUW) in the Criminal Code, persons who have been issued a valid FOID card may transport a firearm anywhere in their vehicle or on their person as long as the firearm is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container. Firearms that are not immediately accessible or are broken down in a non-functioning state may also be carried or transported under the Criminal Code. The Wildlife Code, however, is more restrictive. It requires that all firearms transported in or on any vehicle be unloaded and in a case. Because of this, it is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, all firearms be transported:

1. Unloaded and,
2. Enclosed in a case, and
3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.

I am not violating any firearm laws and am providing the above information as a public service to police officers that I may have contact with. Please consider that ignoring current Illinois law and proceeding with an arrest of an innocent person may result in civil liability for any arresting officers, their supervisors and / or their departments.

My Attorney’s Name Is: _____________________________ Attorney Phone Number: __________________
SIGNED: __________________________________ PRINTED NAME: __ _______________

[The odds are always 50/50

Old 01-03-2010, 06:22 AM   #8

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I would never condone anyone carrying concealed in I'll, but I do it everytime I go.

As for MO carry. In a vehicle, as long as you are 18 and legally allowed to own a gun, you may lawfully conceal a loaded handgun in the vehicle.

Another great thing about MO. Say you walk up to dingdongs construction supply house, and he has one of those ignorant assed "no guns" sign. You maye lawfully carry past that sign, into the business. And you are not unlawful until asked to leave and you refuse.

**directly from a Logan County Illinois sherrifs deputy.

While it may be illegal to "carry a concealed loaded handgun in this state, you could somewhat circuimvent the law by having an unloaded pistol in the right pocket and a loaded magazine in the left.

He was not recommending that I do it, but assured me it was lawful.

Bottom line, IL sucks ass, avoid at all costs.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-03-2010, 07:34 AM   #9

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

So, from what I see here is the verbal 'do not disobey the law' but confessions of doing so? Am I missing something?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-04-2010, 12:57 AM   #10
cbw

If you use the goofy form I posted, filled in your CCW # instead of the IL FOID # and cased your gun unloaded and cased it separate form the clip by 6 seconds.... then you would be legal if the officer knows of, or is willing to accept what the Illinois Superme court ruled which is the "6 second " rule.

I also would think that a large rock at the ready would be of more assistance

So do people tend to follow the laws that that believe in, I think that some do! But I do not support breaking any laws.

[The odds are always 50/50