If Concealed carry in Australia was legal, good or bad idea? - Page 8
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

If Concealed carry in Australia was legal, good or bad idea?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
That wasn't an American government putting in firearms controls. I was talking about the present not ancient history.
That may be history, but we STILL have that fighting spirit. Want something a little more recent? A about an armed uprising against a tyrannical government on the local level?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_%281946%29

Quote:
Having to go trough that process is a form of gun control no matter what way you look at it.
Yes, it's still gun control, but things are getting better. Try buying a machine gun in the UK and see where that gets you.

Quote:
So can I .
Without a license?

Quote:
Yes but there is in some states .
But not in most. Even in some states that do have a ban, your allowed to use pre ban magazines.

Quote:
That doesn't apply to all states.
It applies to a few. ALL states at this point allow concealed carry. Many have open carry.

Quote:
I don't think that an American government will be coming after firearms any time soon its not something I would be concerned about if I was living in America.
There's a reason for that. The government knows what would happen if they tried to confiscate guns. They'd get the bullets first.
People Like This 
Old 09-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #72
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 537 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I think you misunderstood me, or perhaps I have misunderstood the descriptions of the current gun control situation in Australia.

I realize some of the posters in this thread are from the UK and some from Australia. It is my understanding that the UK is even more restrictive on firearms than Australia is in some respects. It is also my understanding that there are waiting and training requirements for the "permit to acquire" a firearm in Australia, as well as limitations on the types of firearms that can be owned (no snubnosed revolvers or standard capacity semi-autos, etc.) and requirements for the "safe" storage of Australian firearms including an actual in-home inspection by the authorities.

Much of my understanding is based on the experiences of a forum member as he worked to acquire a semi-auto, center fire pistol for target practice. That member was located in a fairly urban area; that may make a difference . This guy also seemed to be of the opinion that using the firearm for his self-defense would be akin to something like kicking a policeman in the balls with steel-toed boots on, not good for one's love of fresh air. He explained, if I recall correctly, that he had to join a shooting range club for a period of months before he could even apply to acquire a firearm. His description of the requirement for and inspection of a firearms storage safe made me cringe. Perhaps he exaggerated, or I misunderstood his description of the situation.

I guess it is all relative. When I was six years old, I received my first rifle for Christmas. It was purchased by my father for me from a family friend; it had been well used and maintained for many years and was a youth model .22LR bolt-action. It wasn't "registered" to anybody. There was no permit involved that I am aware of. It is in my gun safe now. My gun safe hasn't been inspected by any authorities, wasn't required by any law, and seemed a bit excessive to me when I got it. I own a few firearms that wouldn't be permitted for me in Australia, as I understand it, at least with their standard magazines (XD45, cz-75b, bersa thunder ucp9, SKS rifle). Some of my firearms were purchased without any paperwork from individuals in a used condition, which is legal here. To me, living in a very unrestricted state, the requirements of Australia seem to be too much governmental control. Don't be offended that I find your government overly restrictive, as you personally probably have very little control over what your government does (much like us).

The Vietnam veteran I mentioned had a good opinion of the Australians he met in Vietnam (badass = tough fighter). I was surprised at the tolerance of their countrymen for such controls.

Australia, from the pictures and descriptions available to me, is a beautiful place. It is not a place I plan to visit, but neither is the UK; nothing against them, just not my kind of place. [/QUOTE]

We were able before 1996 to walk into any gun shop and hand over the cash and walk out with just about any gun we wanted ,semi auto's etc but then after Port Arthur(Tasmania) massacre in 1996 and the then PM(John Howard) who hated guns got into action and a heap of restrictive laws came into being that did nothing to curb gun related crime as statistics show that gun crime was already falling but as a vote grabbing little weasel who wanted to be seen to be doing something he bullied the stupid laws through.

There were and still are conspiracy theories abounding that this was a govt. backed massacre to get Howard's laws through as about 12 months before hand a politician or somebody like Police Commissioner said that nothing short of a massacre would get gun laws changed and then Port Arthur happened.
So now we've got our own "JFK shooter on the knoll" type conspiracy theory thing as well. Hard to prove but there's certain bits of info around that make you think it may be possible.

When I was a kid I could ride through town with my BSA Meteor Super air rifle over my shoulder and nobody would say a thing do it now and you'd have a SWAT team on your arse in 20 seconds because now the media and anti crowd have whipped the sheeple(people who are led like sheep by the media and govt.) into a mass hysteria about guns and how those that own them are red necked mass murderers in the making.

When I reply to the papers about who actually owns guns that people don't realise things go quiet as I say that people like doctors, lawyers, policemen,tradies, housewives,bankers people who are generally in charge of your money and lives are also gun owners.

So then it goes on for me to say that those of you accusing me of being a redneck mass murderer in the making are also accusing your next door neighbour,policeman,banker,doctor, lawyer etc of also being the same thing and that seems to get the sound of crickets chirping.

The toys you Yanks can play with makes we Aussies jealous of what you lot have but unlike the USA Australia has never had a civil war or had to kick a foreign country out of Australia.

We have gun safe inspections and a firearms registry both a big WOFTAM and take up police resources and time checking that guns are safely secured and the safe is acceptable but back before 1996 you could leave your guns under the bed if you wanted to.

We were originally a penal colony with the POMS sending the worst of their crims out here as a prison and we developed from there.
We're a reasonably laid back bunch of people probably a bit apathetic at times but we'll fight hard,play sport and party hard and drink just as well as the next bloke and giving people a fair go is part of our culture as well but our politicians have some of the worst cases of jelly back spines in the world requiring a coat hanger to help them stand up properly.

I know what your getting at liberty wise and while we are certainly restricted in some things we're still a lot better off than other country's who are lucky to be able to have a picture of a gun little less own 1.

Mate I'd like to visit the USA just so as I can see how we Aussies can improve the place before we show you lot how to run a b-b-que and brew beer properly and how a pub should be run.
People Like This 
Old 09-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #73

Liked 3401 Times on 1745 Posts
Likes Given: 5240

Quote:
That wasn't an American government putting in firearms controls. I was talking about the present not ancient history.
Having to go trough that process is a form of gun control no matter what way you look at it.

So can I .

Yes but there is in some states .
That doesn't apply to all states.

I don't think that an American government will be coming after firearms any time soon its not something I would be concerned about if I was living in America.
Our 2nd Amendment only survived by 1 vote in the Supreme Court a few yrs ago, and Obama has plenty of time to pack the court with lefty judges...so i AM concerned...But while i've got you, can you call Pierce Morgan, and tell him its time to come home.......
People Like This 
Old 09-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 838 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
Without a license?
With a licence, I can see how that would make some Americans have a fit. Its the way its always being her since I started shooting so its not as big an issue here.

Quote:
But while i've got you, can you call Pierce Morgan, and tell him its time to come home
Sorry have already had that discussion on this forum. From what I hear he loves it so much in America that he is planning to stay there. And you are welcome to him.

Last edited by manta; 09-27-2013 at 10:05 PM.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #75
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 626 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta
With a licence, I can see how that would make some Americans have a fit. Its the way its always being her since I started shooting so its not as big an issue here.

Sorry have already had that discussion on this forum. From what I hear he loves it so much in America that he is planning to stay there. And you are welcome to him.
Is there anyway y'all can make Australia a prison colony again and send him there

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
People Like This 
Old 09-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 838 Times on 526 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
Is there anyway y'all can make Australia a prison colony again and send him there
I never thought of that.
FullautoUSA Likes This 
Old 09-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #77
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 626 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA
Texaswoodworker, while I agree that MA is a liberal hellhole, there is a small possibility that it could turn around- based off the fact that Scott Brown was elected senator (although he did just lose to a true commie) Gabriel Gomez did pretty well against markie, and Charlie Baker has a chance of winning governor. In ny, they are seeing many counties and sheriffs opposing and trying to get rid of the safe act. Nj has Chris Christy as governor. So it's unfair to say that other than these states the country is moving more pro gun. It's more accurate to say that the whole country is moving to a more pro gun position. But there is one exception: ca seems to not be turning around.
Actually, Gabriel Gomez just recently became anti gun. And Charlie Baker isn't that pro gun either. It seems like the only chance ma has is me running for governor, and I'm not even old enough to vote

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Last edited by FullautoUSA; 09-27-2013 at 10:42 PM.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
We're full thanks.....got enough wowsers and wankers here who think they're saving the country from themselves and final damnation.

Another "save the world and handringer denialist" here will overpopulate the already growing population of window lickers so because we're such a giving people we'll let either the POMS or you Yanks keep him.
People Like This 
Old 09-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #79

Quote:
I never thought of that.
GOOD! you keep thinking that way......................not thinking about it.
People Like This 
Old 09-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #80

Liked 211 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 322

A Not my problem, period.

Australia, UK, China, even the UN have no say in my country, and all things being fair, my opinion should mean nothing in those countries or associations of countries. If I did think my opinion was important, and that my Sh** didn't stink, I would be no better than the loud month Peirs Morgan. Fornicate him!

B I don't have a dog in that fight

Please Mr. Moderator, it was an "F" word, but not the, "F" word. Half of us gun nuts don't know what the word means, they will be strong OK? That's a Bible-word

Sorry Australia and the UK. It's your opinion that counts. You need to fix the damage

Last edited by HM2Grunt; 09-28-2013 at 03:29 AM.
People Like This