Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > If Concealed carry in Australia was legal, good or bad idea?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't see why it would be a bad thing, unless you consider your fellow citizens to be unworthy of the natural right to an armed self defense.

I seldom here of a legal concealed carry person murdering somebody with their carry gun. I'm sure it has happened, but I don't hear about it often and suspect the liberal U.S. media would be shouting it from on high were such to occur.

I live in Mississippi in the Southern part of the U.S. This state recently clarified its open carry regulations to allow for open carry without a permit. MS has had "car carry" or concealed/unconcealed carry in resident's car, home, or business for many years (must be over 18 years old, "business" seems to refer to one owned by you); I don't hear about many problems with misuse of those firearms. MS also offers a concealed carry permit to carry a concealed firearm or a "enhanced" concealed carry permit with a training requirement and fewer restrictions on where the permit holder can go with their firearm. Both of my brothers-in-law have their enhanced permits and carry daily; neither has had to use their firearm on a person (one did for a snake the other day). I think they spent about $200 on their training class and photos and such for the permit and will have to renew it in a few years for another $100ish.

The only people I can think of who don't have a firearm in their car would be my 70 year old parents. I keep a little lockbox cabled to my seat supports to hold my firearm while I go away from my car. I don't open carry myself, though I may in the future Open Carry my replica of an 1858 Remington revolver, cowboy style.

The pepper spray or taser would be better than nothing, especially with a group attack; pepper spray can put a tight bunch of rowdy's in serious pain pretty quickly. I was sprayed at a concert years ago as a group in front of me tried to crash the gate, NOT fun.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 09-26-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6765 Times on 4088 Posts
Likes Given: 8099

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwye7 View Post
Lets just say my local area is where you would see at least 5 things that would make u uncomfortable on a daily basis, i recently got jumped by 15 people for no reason at all. (keep in mind this didnt trigger me to think about carrying guns in auzzie, just always a thought) I generally would feel more comfortable knowing i am safe whenever i leave the place. Theres people who commit crimes out there and the only thing that deters them other than law enforcment would be people whom carry publicly in my opinion. therefore a lower crime rate
You seem in pretty good shape for recently being jumped by FIFTEEN people. Damn.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #13

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

The thing is that we cannot even carry a tool with a blade without a reasonable excuse such as a job that has you carry it as a requirement, and no, we cant carry a tazer or pepper spray, we have nothing and there are many of us still whom have their rights taken from us. we barely have the freedom to to something without breaking some kind of law, and is it legal to carry a replica of a firearm over there?

Old 09-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change
You seem in pretty good shape for recently being jumped by FIFTEEN people. Damn.
Yeah lets say i got lucky, but i did break my nose, stitches in my lower lip, and alot of facial bruising at the time, it was thought that i may have had internal bleeding but for some reason that was never found out. i feel alright now though besides my back which hasnt stopped aching for ages.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20073 Times on 11419 Posts
Likes Given: 50632

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwye7 View Post
The thing is that we cannot even carry a tool with a blade without a reasonable excuse such as a job that has you carry it as a requirement, and no, we cant carry a tazer or pepper spray, we have nothing and there are many of us still whom have their rights taken from us. we barely have the freedom to to something without breaking some kind of law, and is it legal to carry a replica of a firearm over there?
it may be legal to carry a replica, but probably not smart. kind of like if the BG calls your bluff! what then? well, you're probably going to end up dead or very hurt!
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe you could get away with carrying a hefty walking stick?

The replica I mentioned is a functioning black powder revolver that fires .44 caliber lead balls. I just think it would be more handsome to carry than the same old Glock, XD, or Beretta 92 everybody else has. http://www.pietta.us/products/Muzzleloadinguns/Remington/index.html

edit* the only time I currently use the OC law is when I fuel up my car; I like the fuel at a gas station in a not-great area.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 09-26-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #17

Liked 366 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Are you sure you don't live in the UK sounds very similar to here. You will probably find the same problem as here, most people have no interest in firearms. So there is little pressure on the government when they put in place strict firearms laws.

Last edited by manta; 09-26-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #18

Good to be different once in a while, and no deff not uk. australia is prob one of the most strict countries around

Old 09-26-2013, 08:52 PM   #19

Liked 746 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Why would you carry a replica??? Good way to get killed IMHO---Get a big stick

Old 09-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #20

Liked 746 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Marlin Man Down Under? I think so.