Ideal size gun to carry - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Ideal size gun to carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #31
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4841 Times on 1655 Posts
Likes Given: 1460

Can't do that, I have the LCP and P238 and the P238 is much better to shoot as it has a good bit less recoil than the Elsie Pea. Just have to get used to carrying that type action.

NSDQ

Last edited by Threetango; 11-11-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: correction

Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby

Yeah - I have a Stoner IWB hlster for my LCP, too. I have never worn it outside though. The back pocket holster is just so perfect. I don't even realize the gun is there. It's been my best ever holster purchase - and best conceal gun.

But I like the 238. I've been tempted to buy it. It is heavier - which would make it more pleasant to shoot at the range. Not much heavier - but in that size gun a little extra weight does make a shooting comfort difference. And I could see that inside the waistband you would be able to tell almost no difference.

But - my LCP is so concealable and I like the long double action only trigger pull as the "safety" -- I just wonder if I would carry the 238 if I bought it. I'd have to switch over to thumb safety thinking. But I like the looks of it so much and the slightly larger size and weight - that I might buy it --- you know how the sickness goes....

The safety thing is a concern though - because I want to carry the gun chambered and ready to fire - as I do with the LCP - and the long trigger pull of the LCP with the trigger inside the holster - trigger covered and completely safe from any possible movement - that it is just the right set-up for me.

The thumb safety is something that is possible to get switched accidentally. And it is another step you have to take to get the gun fireable. And in a "situation" you have to be fighting your panic and remember to switch that thing off - or your gun is dead. And it's possible to mix up the safety position - forget that it was "on" or "off".
It just leaves a lot of possibilities that a revolver type trigger doesn't have - and that is the type trigger the LCP has - by design. Perfect for me. Same with my LC9 9mm for that matter... same long trigger pull. I love it for safety.

But the 238 is a fine gun... and I like it. Talk me out of it....
Here's the other thing I neglected to mention; the 238 is a great and fun range gun also. It is actually fun and comfortable to shoot due to the weight and single action trigger. You can actually see the sights (at night also). You also don't have to worry as much about an FTF from limp wristing it.

I understand what you mean about the safety but Sig does such a phenomenal job of making a strong an positive clicking safety that is not going anywhere without you engaging it. I practice drawing and disengaging it all the time. I just like single action carry.

With that said, I do not have the p238 anymore. The only reason is because they came out with the p938 and I was able to get a practically identical gun in 9mm. More stopping power and cheaper to shoot. Plus the there is an ambi safety which I am constantly able easily check now while carrying IWB.

Anyway, my two cents. Either is a good gun and the best gun to have is the one that is actually with you. The Sig is twice as much also so I get that.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #33

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I usually carry my LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis, or a Tuff Pocket-Roo with a slot for an extra mag. Sometimes a Don Hume IWB if I'm going to be wearing a coat. I'm very happy with the LCP -- it hits where it looks, and I've never noticed the recoil (but then I'm not recoil-sensitive -- used to shoot a 4" S&W .44mag with heavy, hot handloads and never noticed it then, either).

I'd love to carry a .44, but they're about as easy to conceal as a cantaloupe.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 11-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunownerz

I'm pretty slim and 6ft tall. I don't wear really baggy clothes and so it would need to be one that would stay fairly hidden with any outfit.
I'm a lil over 6' and 180lbs, I carry a kahr cm9 in the pocket.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #35

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

For me it's the Colt Light Weight Commander chambered in .45 ACP.

YMMV

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #36

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

I carry a Ruger SR9c and it conceals well IWB N82Tactical Pro holster

Old 11-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #37

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm a slim guy. I carry a Kahr PM9 mostly in small of back IWB but also have ankle holster, works for me most of year. In winter I will sometimes carry S&W M&P 9c in either IWB or OWB. I shoot well with both, have tried a buddies Rugar LCP, definitely smaller than my Kahr but didn't shoot it as well, might be better with practice but I own a lot of 9mm guns and like to try to stay with the same caliber as much as I can.

Albert Einstein "The important thing is not to stop questioning"

Old 11-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #38

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

DrJason ---
That one caliber thing is a very practical - I agree.
And 9mm is excellent!

I should follow your lead and stick to one - 9mm.