Ideal size gun to carry - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Ideal size gun to carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 05:21 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by connectegr
Another vote for the P938. This is my pocket setup.
What holster are you using in that photo? Nice looking gun?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben
Admittedly I'm a big guy but I can carry a full size Glock 17 IWB with no real problem so I don't see how the Shield is too big. A good quality holster and belt are the key.

If you are looking at it for pocket carry its probably on the large size for that but the same can be said for the Ruger or Kahr single stack subcompacts. It's the trade off for carrying the 9mm. If you want a smaller, more comfortable pocket gun you need to drop to a .380 or even a .32 - .25 cal mouse gun.
Thanks for your input! You're right about the belt and holster...my buddy has gone through 3 different holsters to get the right one

Old 11-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #23

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I wear jeans all the time. When I simply keep a couple pair of jeans that are a size too large all the time. If only have jeans that fit me very well I cannot conceal a gun in the waist band. I don't have an issue with my cargo shorts. I can conceal a cannon in pants that fit me well.

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #24

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunownerz

What holster are you using in that photo? Nice looking gun?
Bearcreek Custom Holsters. I carry this setup in the front pocket of my jeans. When wearing pants with deeper back pockets, the holster has a cover piece and also conceals nicely in my back pocket.

I also have a Seecamp 32 with a nice pocket holster. I use it with shorts or sweatpants. Not as much firepower, but I never go without.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #25
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5985 Times on 2078 Posts
Likes Given: 1719

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunownerz View Post
The 238 looks good! Do you carry at 4 o'clock position with this gun?

The one above in my post is the XDs and yes at the 4pm.

My P938 in an Uncle George wallet holster.

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who donít like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.

Last edited by Threetango; 11-05-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Shield is very concealable in my opinion. Not the smallest but is my favorite carry at the moment with a IWB hybrid holster.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #27

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

agreed, sig p238 is as good as it gets in terms of size and comfort. very easy to pocket carry or Iwb if you wish.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #28

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Ruger's LCP is more concealable than P238. Thinner - smaller - and that makes a difference in concealment.
I have a number of carry's. The one I always end up taking with me is the LCP. In a back pock holster (mine is a leather Stoner) it is perfect. It goes everywhere.
I have taken larger a few times. I have S&W airweight 438 38 revolver - and Ruger's LCR (Don't know if you realize the LCR is a revolver - it has been suggested in earlier posts here). But the revolvers are wider - not as easy to conceal. But they have the revolver simplicity and reliability.
I also have Ruger's LC9 9mm. I have a very nice Stoner leather fitted IWB holster for it - but I have never actually carried it outside of practicing around the house - because of the size. The LCP is just so easy and workable.

Those little NAA pocket 22's - darn they are small! I have a tough enough time trying to handle one in a non-stressful situation - feel like I need a couple of pair of tweezers - but under high stress - I doubt I could even keep from dropping it - much less shooting it - much less aiming it...

You mentioned in a later post that this gun you are looking for must fit all of your wardrobe. That might be tough. Most people end up with different guns for different dress - because that is the practically of it. People dress differently depending on many factors.

As for safeties... that's another whole subject... and double action only completely avoids it. Every gun I have mentioned above is double action only -with the exception of the Sig 238 - which I will not own. And double action only provides a safe gun - with one in the chamber.
With that statement I have donned my flamesuit.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby
Ruger's LCP is more concealable than P238. Thinner - smaller - and that makes a difference in concealment.
I have a number of carry's. The one I always end up taking with me is the LCP. In a back pock holster (mine is a leather Stoner) it is perfect. It goes everywhere.
I have taken larger a few times. I have S&W airweight 438 38 revolver - and Ruger's LCR (Don't know if you realize the LCR is a revolver - it has been suggested in earlier posts here). But the revolvers are wider - not as easy to conceal. But they have the revolver simplicity and reliability.
I also have Ruger's LC9 9mm. I have a very nice Stoner leather fitted IWB holster for it - but I have never actually carried it outside of practicing around the house - because of the size. The LCP is just so easy and workable.

Those little NAA pocket 22's - darn they are small! I have a tough enough time trying to handle one in a non-stressful situation - feel like I need a couple of pair of tweezers - but under high stress - I doubt I could even keep from dropping it - much less shooting it - much less aiming it...

You mentioned in a later post that this gun you are looking for must fit all of your wardrobe. That might be tough. Most people end up with different guns for different dress - because that is the practically of it. People dress differently depending on many factors.

As for safeties... that's another whole subject... and double action only completely avoids it. Every gun I have mentioned above is double action only -with the exception of the Sig 238 - which I will not own. And double action only provides a safe gun - with one in the chamber.
With that statement I have donned my flamesuit.
Have carried both (well...a keltec P3AT which is pretty much identical to the ruger) in a stoner IWB in the 4:00 position. I saw no discernible difference between the two except the p238 was slightly heavier. They were both extremely comfortable to carry that way and my p938 is my most carried gun in that position.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #30

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmelPaneristi View Post
Have carried both (well...a keltec P3AT which is pretty much identical to the ruger) in a stoner IWB in the 4:00 position. I saw no discernible difference between the two except the p238 was slightly heavier. They were both extremely comfortable to carry that way and my p938 is my most carried gun in that position.
Yeah - I have a Stoner IWB hlster for my LCP, too. I have never worn it outside though. The back pocket holster is just so perfect. I don't even realize the gun is there. It's been my best ever holster purchase - and best conceal gun.

But I like the 238. I've been tempted to buy it. It is heavier - which would make it more pleasant to shoot at the range. Not much heavier - but in that size gun a little extra weight does make a shooting comfort difference. And I could see that inside the waistband you would be able to tell almost no difference.

But - my LCP is so concealable and I like the long double action only trigger pull as the "safety" -- I just wonder if I would carry the 238 if I bought it. I'd have to switch over to thumb safety thinking. But I like the looks of it so much and the slightly larger size and weight - that I might buy it --- you know how the sickness goes....

The safety thing is a concern though - because I want to carry the gun chambered and ready to fire - as I do with the LCP - and the long trigger pull of the LCP with the trigger inside the holster - trigger covered and completely safe from any possible movement - that it is just the right set-up for me.

The thumb safety is something that is possible to get switched accidentally. And it is another step you have to take to get the gun fireable. And in a "situation" you have to be fighting your panic and remember to switch that thing off - or your gun is dead. And it's possible to mix up the safety position - forget that it was "on" or "off".
It just leaves a lot of possibilities that a revolver type trigger doesn't have - and that is the type trigger the LCP has - by design. Perfect for me. Same with my LC9 9mm for that matter... same long trigger pull. I love it for safety.

But the 238 is a fine gun... and I like it. Talk me out of it....

Last edited by Colby; 11-08-2012 at 02:49 PM.