Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Ideal size gun to carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/ideal-size-gun-carry-75419/)

gunownerz 10-31-2012 11:51 PM

Ideal size gun to carry

I'm looking at the M&P shield 9mm - it seems too big to carry. I don't want it sitting on my hip...concealed is the keyword. What do you guys think?

Any other similar style guns that may be better?

AsSeenOnTV 10-31-2012 11:54 PM

gunownerz 11-01-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV
A good holster makes a huge difference in how the gun feels. Back in my dads day, everyone carried 1911s behind their back.

Ruger makes a small 9 mm that is a big seller for carrying concealed. And they make a holster for the LC9 Ruger that is shaped like a wallet.

Thanks! I'll checking it out right now

Axxe55 11-01-2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunownerz (Post 997503)
Thanks! I'll checking it out right now

check out Longballer71 (Dave) he makes handmade custom holster and is a member here on the forum. his work is awesome and several members have bought from him and many more are lined up to.

Donn 11-01-2012 12:13 PM

The Shield too big to carry? Maybe compared to a derringer. With the short mag it conceals as well as anything out there. I carry mine in either an Old Faithful or Kusiak Leather IWB. They both do the job.

canebrake 11-01-2012 12:30 PM

The one you are proficient with.

You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight.

You can make a compromise for concealment.......you CAN NOT make accession to your skill!

SatoriNoir 11-01-2012 12:36 PM

The question is extremely relative to your own physical size in height or weight, and based upon your apparel requirements from either the weather conditions or the social situation at hand (like during winter with a coat or at a formal party with a suit).

BeyondTheBox 11-01-2012 06:29 PM

I wont carry anywhere other then in pocket and I wear Levi 505s so there's little room for anything large. For me ideal is very small and light, like a derringer or low cal mousegun. I don't wear loose or bagy clothing and my skin is very sensitive so I can't have anything metal against it. I literally can't carry anywhere but pocket and have a gun concealed.

Now, when I open carry, I do so on belt and drop leg and as large as I've got, because I'm doing so in the woods where bobcats and mountainlion and bears can cross my path. I've usually got at least two guns on me in these situations, upwards of five. Some are just for plinking fun if I find a spot or a squirrel looks at me sideways and I hafta bust a cap in his arse, and the belt and dropleg are for protection against something large and nasty that doesn't just keep walking.

phildenton 11-01-2012 06:59 PM

From the sounds of it, maybe a ruger lcr or lcp, or a beretta tomcat (3032) 32 auto. There are other choices along those lines that im sure someone else will mention before long.

BeyondTheBox 11-01-2012 07:40 PM

Sig p238 or 938

LCP is nice but too light for recoil and I loathe DAO guns and will never recommend one to anyone unless they say specifically that they're weirdos whom prefer DAO triggers for some godawful reason.