Ideal Dimensions For a CCW FIREARM - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Ideal Dimensions For a CCW FIREARM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 354 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I pocket a cm9 and iwb a cw9

Old 02-25-2012, 03:54 AM   #12

Liked 5017 Times on 2431 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoguy View Post
Not to split hairs, but all of these are over 4" in height. The Kel-Tec P-11 (& PF-9) are close @ 4.3", but the LC9 & Taurus 709 are both 4.5" or better. All are certainly in the ballpark though.
Has anybody here carried or shot the Kel-Tec PF-9? After looking at their web site, I'm actually thinking about one of these.
Roscoguy

I have not shot the Kel Tek P9 but I did own a P11 for several years which I believe is the double stack predecessor to the P9.

I think the P9's are about half the price of the Kahr PM9 at roughly $300 VS $600. Nothing against Kel Tek but thier triggers are very heavy and no where in the same league as the Kahr triggers.

I would suggest you go dry fire the new Kahr CM 9 and a KT P9 side by side. The CM9 is a budget version of the PM. Not quite as fancy but retained the PM lines EXCELLENT trigger.

Do this and I'm confident you'll drop the extra bill on the Kahr.

Good luck

Tack

Old 02-25-2012, 04:39 AM   #13

Likes Given: 1

I am seriously looking at the Kahr CM9 for those reasons. I want to carry in my front pocket.

I sent all my paperwork in last week for my CC, now wait up to 6 weeks. (NM)

Old 02-25-2012, 04:47 AM   #14
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 9992 Times on 5971 Posts
Likes Given: 14106

I noticed most guns mentioned here are 9 mm. What about a .380, like the LCP?

Old 02-25-2012, 05:51 AM   #15

Liked 5017 Times on 2431 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Winds,

Minimum stopping power is subjective and some trust the .380 in this role however I think most of us view this cartridge as more of a "back up" round than a primary defensive round.

For me, the 9 mm is at the bottom of the acceptable power zone for a cc weapon.

I've zero time with the LCP other than holding 1 at my LGS. One of my criteria for any handgun, CCW or not, is that it's got to be large enough to hold in a propper shooting grip. For my hands, the LCR and everyother mouse gun ".380 or smaller" out there fail this test. They are just too small for me and just do not offer enough terminal performance.

Tack

Old 02-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The "PERFECT" concealed carry weapon is the one that you are comfortable enough to wear and have with you where ever it is legal. There are times when I go to the local gun shop and we have this conversation. When I ask them if I can see it, I often hear that it's at home right now because I didn't have time to get it out of the safe and blah blah blah. To me carrying a concealed weapon is a lifestyle. Your gun won't help you one bit sitting at home! I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II and it is on my side whenever I leave the house. If I need to remove it due to legal restrictions, I lock it in my gun safe in the trunk. I agree that the absolute smallest caliber would be a .380, but I carry a .45ACP with +P ammo to maximize the firepower I may need someday. I guess what I'm trying to say is wear it all the time so you have it if you need it. It's far better than needing it and not having it any day! SHOOT STRAIGHT and stay safe!

Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #17

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Actually, there are plenty of the newer round of highly concealable handguns offered in .380 (or smaller) caliber:

Ruger LCP
Diamondback DB380
Kahr P380 (the one I own)
Kel Tel P-3AT
S&W Bodyguard 380
Tarus 738 TCP

There are mixed reviews on ALL of them, naturally, but most of them seem to have some real fans. Nothing wrong with these as a class (to me), but I was looking for something within the size constraints of the OP & since I already have a reliable .380, I was hoping that someone knew of a reliable 9mm or .40.

This thread was about the OP's opinion of the perfect size for a CCW and was NOT meant to be another of the ubiquitous caliber wars, but we've drifted a bit off subject...

Old 02-27-2012, 04:30 AM   #18
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 9992 Times on 5971 Posts
Likes Given: 14106

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoguy View Post
This thread was about the OP's opinion of the perfect size for a CCW and was NOT meant to be another of the ubiquitous caliber wars, but we've drifted a bit off subject...
I'm sorry. I was the one who took this thread of track.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #19

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I'm sorry. I was the one who took this thread of track.
Ouch. I wasn't knocking your question about .380s. It was at least as much on-topic as mine was about 9mm/.40 guns. Ask away; I'm sure many here have actual experience with the ones I listed & many others.

It just seems that whenever a thread about small & highly concealable firearms is posted, people tend to turn it into a discussion about whether they would trust the stopping power of any caliber mentioned. To me, this is a tangent too often taken & not really helpful in light of the actual topic.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Has any one had experience with the new springfield xd 3.8. As far as caliber goes carry what your most accurate with. I would rather have a .22 I could hit with than a .45 that I couldn't. Just my personal opinion.