Ideal Dimensions For a CCW FIREARM
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Ideal Dimensions For a CCW FIREARM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4785 Times on 2314 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Default Ideal Dimensions For a CCW FIREARM

The purpose of this post is to share my personal experience with just about every size and caliber type of handgun over my 16 years of carrying a concealed firearm on a daily basis.

It is not meant to endorse or deride any platform or manufacturer and in no way will my experience be shared by all due to numerous factors such as body type, size, and mode of dress.

I am not big or small, I'd say average at 70" and 180 lbs. I have at one time or another chosen carry guns with sizes ranging from my S&W 629 6 shot .44 Magnum, "Big Gun", to my NAA Guardian .32 ACP, Tiny Gun, and about everything in between to include 4" and 5" 1911's, Sig 226, XD .45 Service, CZ 75 B, Ruger SP 101 .357, and my latest, the Kahr PM 9.

What I've learned in my 16 years and several THOUSAND dollars spent on guns and holsters is that the ideal CCW weapon does NOT need to be Quick Draw fast, knock down a Grizzly powerful, or shoot the eye out of bird in flight accurate.

What it DOES need to be is "no BS concealabe" yet, large enough draw with a proper shooting grip, powerful enough to stop a violent attacker with multiple hits to the thoracic cavity, and accurate enough to do all of this at a distance of 7 to 10 yards.

Given my experience I've come to the conclusion that ideal size CCW weapon FOR ME is a reliable auto pistol no taller than 4" from top of slide to bottom of mag well AND no wider than 1" measured at the thickest part of the slide.

Most readers will take issue with the 1" dimension because yes, this does relegate the choices to single stack guns only but that OK by me. I'm not looking to be the guy who saves the day during the next LA Shootout so I don't need 16 + rounds in my gun.I am the guy, who like most of you, would only draw and fire if cornered and only if life was at stake.

As you can fell from my list of past carry guns, I'm no stranger to high capacity or hi power cartridges. They all have there place and I adore each of them for thief own virtue, however, for those of us who work in an office and can have no chance of our CCW being noticed, well these dimensions WORK. The Kahr PM 9 has been my daily office carry gun for 4 of the last 16 years and I don't see it being replaced anytime soon but to each his own. There a few single stack autos in both 9pm and .40 S&W out there that fit within this profile.

Good Luck and I hope this helps someone spend less on guns and more on practice ammo.

Tack

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

Thank you for the input. I seem to be along the same thoughts.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I agree with you regarding size of CCW, but that doesn't allow a whole lot of choices beyond Kahr PM9/40. Any others worth considering in 9mm or greater?

Old 02-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #4

Kel-tech p-11

Old 02-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #5

I switch between a ruger lc9 and a Taurus 709 slim. Both are about equally comfortable and similar in size.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:57 AM   #6

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

GREAT post Tack, thank you!!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoguy View Post
I agree with you regarding size of CCW, but that doesn't allow a whole lot of choices beyond Kahr PM9/40. Any others worth considering in 9mm or greater?
4 years ago when I reached these conclusions the only viable options "for me" were either the Kahr PM9 or the Rohrbaugh 9. I chose Kahr for two reasons. I did not like the Euro mag release on the Rohrbaugh or the $1000.00 price tag.

The last 3 years have seen uber compact 9mm offerings from Taurus, Kimber, Ruger, Kel Tech, and many many others. Honestly, I have mine so I've not compared dimensions on the newer offerings but I'm sure some comparison shopping would reveal several options in the $300 to $400 range which is a dramatic improvement to the short list of $600 to $1000 option limitations of just 4 years ago.

Happy Shoping

Tack

Old 02-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #8

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Good Luck and I hope this helps someone spend less on guns and more on practice ammo.
That and good training will take you further than any firearm.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
That and good training will take you further than any firearm.
Very True

Tack

Old 02-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaker View Post
Kel-tech p-11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeekhof View Post
I switch between a ruger lc9 and a Taurus 709 slim. Both are about equally comfortable and similar in size.
Not to split hairs, but all of these are over 4" in height. The Kel-Tec P-11 (& PF-9) are close @ 4.3", but the LC9 & Taurus 709 are both 4.5" or better. All are certainly in the ballpark though.
Has anybody here carried or shot the Kel-Tec PF-9? After looking at their web site, I'm actually thinking about one of these.