I need some advice
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

I need some advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2015, 02:37 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 493 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 975

Default I need some advice

First of all, I apologize if this topic is not going to be allowed. I just really need some advice from you fine people.

I'm a active duty Marine. I'm going home in 2 weeks for leave. I currently do not have a CCW, although I am going to apply for one while I am home. FL law does not allow open carry unless you are fishing or hunting. Here's where my problem is.

With everything going on in the world, they have told us (military personnel) to be aware. The shooting in Tennessee shows how we are being targeted. Just yesterday the CVS right by my house had shots fired inside during a armed robbery. So do I carry concealed, even though that would be against the law, or just take my chances and hope that I don't need my firearm.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-17-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 8883 Times on 5314 Posts
Likes Given: 11879

I understand your dilemma. Should you be caught breaking the law with a firearm, I would guess that might be the end of your military career. Are you obligated to wear your uniform while on leave? If you can dress in civilian clothes, you would be less of a target. What is the area like where you will be on leave? Big city? Small local town where people know you?
Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8166 Times on 4467 Posts
Likes Given: 7951

In many states a district judge can order the immediate issuance of a temporary permit. Of course, that will cost you a lawyer's fee.

Other than that, just be damned careful where you go, and who you hang out with. And wear civilian clothing.

It's a damned shame and disgrace when an active duty military member who puts his life on the line every day can't move around freely and safely IN HIS OWN COUNTRY, PROUDLY WEARING HIS UNIFORM.
People Like This 
Old 07-17-2015, 03:31 PM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I believe all active duty armed forces should be required to conceal carry..... Extra protection for us

always remember when you own a gun, shoot a gun or carry a gun you are representing all of the gun community! always be respectful and be SAFE! it is our RIGHT and OUR RESPONSIBILITY!

Last edited by Ross82; 07-18-2015 at 06:49 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-17-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 493 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 975

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I understand your dilemma. Should you be caught breaking the law with a firearm, I would guess that might be the end of your military career. Are you obligated to wear your uniform while on leave? If you can dress in civilian clothes, you would be less of a target. What is the area like where you will be on leave? Big city? Small local town where people know you?
I will be in civilian clothes, but that doesn't make a difference. I was walking around Hollywood in civies and people were trying to give me military discounts. They can tell from my haircut and how I carry myself.

I'll be in the suburbs, so not a place where I know everyone.

I know that if I get caught with a pistol, it could be the end of my career. But if I get caught without one, it could be the end of my life.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 589 Times on 392 Posts
Likes Given: 673

Franklin, We for the most part understand the situation and each will have their opinion, BUT if you expect us to openly advise you to break the law, we will not do that. Because it is unwise to advise so in a public read forum AND we would be booted from the forum and that would be bad.
People Like This 
Old 07-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #7

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbrownsr View Post
Franklin, We for the most part understand the situation and each will have their opinion, BUT if you expect us to openly advise you to break the law, we will not do that. Because it is unwise to advise so in a public read forum AND we would be booted from the forum and that would be bad.

What he said. We don't condone it, but I do understand your dilemma brother, you and your brothers in arms are in my prayers, get your ccw asap
Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1367 Times on 760 Posts
Likes Given: 598

Franklin,

First of all, thank you for your service to our country.

Second, although most, if not all, of us here think that having our service members go around unarmed is patently stupid, seeing as how we are in a shooting war with armed terrorists who have global influence, but the law is what it is.

The best advice I can give you is to be aware of your surroundings and the people near you. I know that you should be able to come home, relax, and enjoy your leave. Unfortunately, that's not the world we live in today. Our so-called leadership has elected not to treat this issue of domestic terrorism with the seriousness that it deserves and we're all aware of what the results are.

Just as I'm sure you would do in a foreign country, observe what's going on wherever you happen to be. If you don't like the situation or the people in it, just leave.

As soon as you get home, get your CCW paperwork started. It may not help you in this particular situation, but there's generally a "next time" when you need it. I have a feeling that unless our elected officials are taken to task over this issue, there will most definitely be a "next time".

Finally, the law is the law, in all its spectacular stupidity. Don't be on the wrong side of it.
People Like This 
Old 07-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #9

Liked 134 Times on 86 Posts

As a former Marine. It's no easy choice. Keep a rifle in your truck. If you get busted carrying without a permit, stick a fork in it cause you're done. If your worried about being targeted wear a cover to hide the haircut. Or just stick to places you know.
People Like This 
Old 07-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3524 Times on 2022 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

One unexpected flash of a holster can ruin what military career you have.

There are other items that can be used (wasp spray) that is not identified in FL Statutes 790 area as weapons.

Learn what can be used. Get your CWP. And review the hunting regulations.

If you lived in the Northwest, camos are daily wear.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 07-17-2015 at 06:31 PM.
People Like This