Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > "I Have A Gun!" - Things Not To Say To A Cop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Wow Jared, I live in the same state and never had an encounter like that with the WSP or any other LEO's, I always hand my CPL with my DL and only once in a lot of years did an officer ask for me to produce my firearm "for officer safety", he had me remove it from the holster and hand it to him. He cleared the firearm and (I also carry +1). When he returned my firearm the mag was out and the +1 was with it. Call WSP and let them know you are short your +1, I expect it was at best an oversight as the LEO isn't out collecting +1's for range time.
Yeah. I have dealt with LEOs before and had good experiences, but in my area it all depends on the officer. When I was 16 me and my friend were out in my pasture shooting BB guns (pistols). when we were done we were walking to his house when we were stopped for "looking suspicious", Officer asked if we have any weapons we both tell the officer we have BB guns on us. As soon as the words BB guns come out we are both at gunpoint proned out in the street. We both got charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, luckily the judge dismissed the case. the arrest still sometimes causes problems like when I enlisted and when I got my Security Guard license. Due to my work I deal with city LEOs alot and am on first name basis with most of them so I can honestly say most the officers are not like the two I have described, But they are out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
I'd wager paws to perdition that officer jacked your +1 onto the ground,

sent you on your way, and proceeded to the nearest bathroom to change his

shorts...
That is pretty much what I was thinking It was night time and I figure He dropped the round and didn't want to look for it. I just threw the "robbed by WA state Patrol" at the end for dramatic effect.

All in all it was not that bad I could have been proned out on the ground and all that embarrassing stuff....Again

Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #22

I was talking to a Officer about what to do if you get pulled over, since I will be getting my CCW here this summer. He told me you could have a whole car full of loaded weapons, and he would be alright with it, because you took the time and responsibilty to actually get the permit. What scares him is most people where he works probaly have weapons and he never knows, He works in Youngstown, Oh. Not the best place to be a cop.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #23

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolly4503 View Post
I was talking to a Officer about what to do if you get pulled over, since I will be getting my CCW here this summer. He told me you could have a whole car full of loaded weapons, and he would be alright with it, because you took the time and responsibilty to actually get the permit. What scares him is most people where he works probaly have weapons and he never knows, He works in Youngstown, Oh. Not the best place to be a cop.
+1. It's not the CCW permit holders I worry about, either... (Cleveland cop)

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 04-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #24

Liked 111 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 36

When My friend and myself were 15,a police car went by where we were standing in front of a store payphone,my friend shouted out-but not too loudly-"I have a gun" trying to show off to me and our friends,we thought the cops didn't hear him and we laughed.About 10 seconds later that same police car came from nowhere around the back of that same little store,my friend was carrying a dowel rod and they ripped it out of his hands and searched him in front of us.I think my buddy was embarrassed,and they warned him to never say that again.The cops knew who we were but I think they were more or less teaching him a lesson.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 05-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #25

Liked 2392 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

Funny thing, Georgia.

I've been driving up and down the east coast 35 years, a majority

of it in NJ, never got a speeding ticket.

45 minutes was all it took in Georgia. They have speed limit signs on the roads

that go 25 Mph, 35Mph, 45Mph 55Mph, then 25 MPH again. Unless you

pretty much void the warranty on your brakes, and constantly watch

these signs, to the exclusion of all else, cops riding the "sweet spot"

between the 55Mph and 25Mph signs are going to bag you.

They also have "Construction Zone" signs posted in many places with nary a

Jersey barrier, piece of construction

equipment, and no supplies, just small posters. But even without any

evidence of any construction whatever, they use that as an excuse to inflate

your "speeding ticket"...

What's up with all that?

Last edited by therewolf; 05-19-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #26

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
they use that as an excuse to inflate your "speeding ticket"...

What's up with all that?
You've never dealt with a ticket writer in NYC I take it? Quotas

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 05-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #27

Liked 668 Times on 410 Posts
Likes Given: 1662

In my public accounting days, I was auditing a small NW Georgia city government, when I noticed that for the first several months of the previous year, there was a lot of ticket revenue, then it suddenly dropped WAY off for the rest of the year. When I asked the city clerk about it, she said there was one city cop (out of maybe 3 in the whole 'city') who set up a speed trap at the edge of town, on a fairly busy highway that passed through the town. All was hunky-dory, and he was generating lots of tickets, until he stopped the wrong driver - the wife of the local Superior Court judge.
Judge was NOT amused by the little revenue-mill, and the cop was told he was NOT ALLOWED to write ANY more traffic tickets along that highway, EVER.
My fellow auditors and I LOL'd at that.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #28

Liked 2392 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest50 View Post
Yeah, they're a little anal retentive about speed limits down here, but there's a law on the books that says they can't use radar/vascar to ticket you for 10 mph or less over the speed limit on the highways. You must've been flying.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that they "ride the sweet spot". Law enforcement officers these days aren't "officers of the peace", they're revenue collection officers.
Actually, I wasn't "flying" I was driving. And I hope that 165$ "revenue" they

collected is going to offset the thousands of $$$ I would have spent camping,

fishing, and dining in Georgia, over the years, because I vote with my wallet, and I

will never return.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:24 AM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Yeah. I have dealt with LEOs before and had good experiences, but in my area it all depends on the officer. When I was 16 me and my friend were out in my pasture shooting BB guns (pistols). when we were done we were walking to his house when we were stopped for "looking suspicious", Officer asked if we have any weapons we both tell the officer we have BB guns on us. As soon as the words BB guns come out we are both at gunpoint proned out in the street. We both got charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, luckily the judge dismissed the case. the arrest still sometimes causes problems like when I enlisted and when I got my Security Guard license. Due to my work I deal with city LEOs alot and am on first name basis with most of them so I can honestly say most the officers are not like the two I have described, But they are out there.
This post reminded me of something that had happened to me when I was in 5th or 6th grade...as I typed it out I thought just how unbelievable this story sounds, but I swear to God it's true (or at least it's the way I truthfully remember it happening)...

I walked in one of those March of Dimes Walk-a-thon. They had it on a nature trail in the woods. All the volunteers were walking in a group with one guy guiding us. There were about four people (adults) walking ahead of the guide. When we got to a fork in the trail, the guide some how determined the people ahead of him had not taken the fork and were now 'lost'.

Up until this point they had Jr. Sheriff posse walking with us (they were younger than me, so they couldn't have been more than about 10 years old because I was only about 12). Apparently the Jr. Sheriff posse was allowed to carry side arms for some reason and this was in California. I'm assuming for snakes maybe?

The Jr. Sheriff posse radioed in that these four people were lost, and we continued down the correct trail (without Jr. Sheriff posse). We got to the halfway point where we were suppose to eat lunch and walk back. While we were eating lunch the four 'lost' people found us. Then the guide announced that it was only a little ways farther down the trial to the highway where they had vans waiting to shuttle us back, so we didn't really have to walk back (even though the sponsors were donating money by the mile and we were claiming to walk the whole way).

Anyway, the four people who had been reported lost decided they were walking back anyway, and I decided to go with them. This would be a good time to mention that since the Jr. Sheriff posse only went with us as far as the fork in the trail, and we had no radio, they were still out looking for these people because they didn't know they were found already.

OK here's the funny/scary part...The five of us are walking back down the trail shooting the $hit and all of a sudden, from behind a bush, this f-ing 10 year old Jr. Sheriff posse jumps out in to the middle of the trail with a radio in one hand yelling, "Bingo! I found them! I found them!" and in his other hand he has his gun drawn and pointed right at us!

Scared the crap out of all of us, but the adults got him to put the gun away. Then he was trying to make us stay and wait for his buddy (another 10 year old) to show up. We ignored him and kept walking. When his buddy caught up to us they did there best to try to get us to walk with one of them behind us and one in front of us, which really amounted to one of them running to stay in front of us since we were just laughing at them and going at our own pace at this point.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Last edited by Jesse17; 05-21-2011 at 04:30 AM.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:14 AM   #30

Liked 4421 Times on 2144 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

I've been stopped once in Oregon and 3 times in Washington. Armed every time but the officer never asked so I saw no reason to volunteer the info. Had they asked me to exit the vehicle I would have handed over my CCW before doing so. I was active duty Army when I got both state permits and as such did not have to attend any class. A simple letter from my CO stating that I had qualified with the M9 was enough to waive that requirement in Oregon and I don't think Washington required any class at that time, "this was 15 years ago".

I would be interested to hear from any Oregon or Washington LEO's on this matter.

Tack