Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > I have a 1911 question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Also, how do you de-cock a 1911 safely?

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 904 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 1254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
See reply #19. To decock it you have to hold the hammer between your thumb and forefinger of your non-shooting hand, pull the trigger with your shooting hand, and CAREFULLY lower the hammer until it rests on the frame. This is dangerous, because if the hammer slips out of your grasp while the trigger is pulled it will fire the gun. That's why condition 2 is dangerous and leaves the possibility of an accident. Also, condition 2 results in lost time when you have to draw and fire, because you can't fire it until you have thumb-cocked the hammer.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
See reply #19. To decock it you have to hold the hammer between your thumb and forefinger of your non-shooting hand, pull the trigger with your shooting hand, and CAREFULLY lower the hammer until it rests on the frame. This is dangerous, because if the hammer slips out of your grasp while the trigger is pulled it will fire the gun. That's why condition 2 is dangerous and leaves the possibility of an accident. Also, condition 2 results in lost time when you have to draw and fire, because you can't fire it until you have thumb-cocked the hammer.
Thank you, so in order to unload/safety check a 1911 you have to pull the mag, and work the action for the round in the tube to come out, then de-cock the firearm?

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

drvsafe Likes This 
Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 210 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
What's the purpose of decocking if there's a manual safety?

I can't opine at all bc I don't own a 1911 (yet) but I have to ask.

My Sig has a decocker and no safety, the beretta has a manual safety that's a decocker and the glock is basically DA only.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post

My Sig has a decocker and no safety, the beretta has a manual safety that's a decocker and the glock is basically DA only.
I'm asking because I have limited experience with this platform and I'm about to grab a SR1911 asap, if I'm to unload and safety to check the weapon to put it away, I was wondering how you de-cock it.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post

I think some people are a little skittish about having a cocked gun in their holster. But it is something you get used to if you carry for awhile. I first carried a 1911 hammer down on an empty chamber as I was taught in the Marine Corps in 1961, but after becoming a "grab-assing civilian", I learned to carry in condition one. In all those years I've never had an accidental discharge with a 1911.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #27
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 210 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
I'm asking because I have limited experience with this platform and I'm about to grab a SR1911 asap, if I'm to unload and safety to check the weapon to put it away, I was wondering how you de-cock it.
O I C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post

What type of holster will you use for carrying?

Old 07-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I have tried several kinds, some expensive leather, some cheap. But I've settled on Uncle Mike's belt slide holsters because they are tough, right-sized, and hug my side well enough to minimize "printing". I carry in the 4 o'clock position because the gun is easy to reach, and doesn't "print" under a loose shirt. I have guns from a 3-inch barreled Para Ordnance Warthog to a full size 1911, and the Uncle Mike's holsters do quite well for me.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #29

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Why doesn't one of our 1911 savvy members make a video of the 1911. Show loading, unloading and the different carry conditions. If more than one member makes them then maybe we could vote on the best, clearest picture, most concise and informative. Then we can take the best of them and mount on a sticky for future reference. I know we are all giving basically the same advice here but 20 people saying basically the same thing is confusing. Plus I think seeing it done will help those new to the 1911. I also thinking it being in house allows use to make sure the one we pick is what we want presented as far as content and safety procedures. Just a thought.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 07-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Sorry, my reply was how to decock a loaded 1911. To store it, remove the magazine first, then shuck the round out of the chamber. At that point, when you KNOW the gun and chamber are empty, simply pull the trigger to decock it.