I Got Checked by the Coast Guard Today - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > I Got Checked by the Coast Guard Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramer
Being new to law enforcement, I'm going to continue to ask if there are weapons in the vehicle, and if a driver hands me a CHL and is armed, he going to get asked to step out. If there are other people in the vehicle, I'm going to have the driver step out and I'm going to secure the weapon while I have the vehicle stopped. If you don't like it, then you can complain all you want. I wont stop you. I guarantee most agencies will stand by there officers especially when it's a safety issue. Yes you're legally carrying a concealed weapon, but like Davo45 stated earlier, he had a friend who was shot and killed by a legally carrying man for a speeding ticket. No traffic stop is routine, anything can happen. Im not taking chances.
Bravo!! I think it's great you do this and I hope you always do even when your not "new". Take my advice. Don't give Fatty there the time of day. He's nothing but someone who wants to complaining about everything someone says. You could tell him the sky was blue and he'd argue. He's probably the freakin president of the ACLU!! Always saying someone is violating his rights.....

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 08-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramer View Post
Im in the great State of Texas. If a person had the weapon on his hip, its as simple as asking him to keep his hands on the steering wheel while he stepped out and once he was out asking him to keep his hands on his head and asking for both his and my safety if I could secure the weapon from him momentarily. Simply asking and him consenting does not violate any constitutional rights or my oath. I would return the firearm to the holder empty. I'd give him all his ammo and magazines back, and wait until he gets down the road to reload.
In the State of Texas, CHL holders are required to display their CHL with their ID if asked for ID by a Peace Officer or Magistrate. Once that step is done, the Texas Department of Public Safety says I have every right to secure the weapon if I believe it to be a safety risk.
Maybe thats not the case for Georgia residents and peace officers, and I never said it was.
I understand what you are saying and your need for safety, but you surely realize that this kind of attitude towards licensed, legal concealed carry and this type of response to licensed, legal concealed carry is the justification that many people use when they decide not to inform officers that they are carrying unless it will be discovered otherwise.

Might i suggest that you consider leaving a properly holstered firearm holstered when doing so won't increase your personal risk, for example when the suspect/driver is in your clear view with hands purposefully in clear view for your safety & properly illuminated.

In MS, i don't need a permit to legally carry concealed "in part or in whole" in my car or home. I would immediately inform an officer in a traffic stop that my XD45 was on the passenger seat, while holding my hands conspicuously on a well-lit steering wheel, unless the firearm was fully concealed under the seat or in the glovebox. I would only discuss a fully concealed firearm if specifically asked if there was such a firearm or weapon present or if the officer needed to frisk the passenger compartment for "officer safety". Your response to a licensed, legally armed citizen is an example of why i would not bring up a concealed firearm unless specifically asked & such. Firearms Permit Unit - > § 97-37-1. Deadly weapons; carrying while concealed; use or attempt to use; penalties. 97-37-1(2) Exercising authority to its very limit can result in citizens responding to such authority to their absolute minimal requirement under the law, works both ways.

Conversely, if it were my understanding that most officers in my area responded to being handed a CCW card with ID during a traffic stop by asking the holder to "keep all hands in clear view until the end of the stop, for officer safety or something similar" responses might be more favorable and equally safe for the officer.

Last edited by orangello; 08-16-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I understand what you are saying and your need for safety, but you surely realize that this kind of attitude towards licensed, legal concealed carry and this type of response to licensed, legal concealed carry is the justification that many people use when they decide not to inform officers that they are carrying unless it will be discovered otherwise.
That individual would be wrong because he just broke the law by the decision he made not to inform......

Old 08-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1316 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Several of us were fishing off of Port Canaveral and were safety checked by the Coast Guard. They asked about weapons and two of us were carrying. We showed them the safely holstered pistols, our CCWs, passed the safety check, were wished good fishing by the Coasties and they were on their way.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:00 AM   #55

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

Might i suggest that you consider leaving a properly holstered firearm holstered when doing so won't increase your personal risk, for example when the suspect/driver is in your clear view with hands purposefully in clear view for your safety & properly illuminated.

In MS, i don't need a permit to legally carry concealed "in part or in whole" in my car or home. I would immediately inform an officer in a traffic stop that my XD45 was on the passenger seat, while holding my hands conspicuously on a well-lit steering wheel, unless the firearm was fully concealed under the seat or in the glovebox. I would only discuss a fully concealed firearm if specifically asked if there was such a firearm or weapon present or if the officer needed to frisk the passenger compartment for "officer safety". Your response to a licensed, legally armed citizen is an example of why i would not bring up a concealed firearm unless specifically asked & such. Firearms Permit Unit - > § 97-37-1. Deadly weapons; carrying while concealed; use or attempt to use; penalties. 97-37-1(2) Exercising authority to its very limit can result in citizens responding to such authority to their absolute minimal requirement under the law, works both ways.

Conversely, if it were my understanding that most officers in my area responded to being handed a CCW card with ID during a traffic stop by asking the holder to "keep all hands in clear view until the end of the stop, for officer safety or something similar" responses might be more favorable and equally safe for the officer.
I get what you're saying, but leaving a gun on a violator is not what I prefer to do. I don't do it to bully anyone. In Texas CHL holders are required to display CHL when ID is requested by a peace officer or magistrate. Failure to provide the license is a class B misdemeanor.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1AG30 View Post
That individual would be wrong because he just broke the law by the decision he made not to inform......
That depends on the state in question.

As i mentioned, MS doesn't require a permit for car carry, no requirement to inform that you don't have a permit and no requirement that i am currently aware of to inform of the presence in my car unless asked.

Last edited by orangello; 08-17-2011 at 06:49 PM.