I Got Checked by the Coast Guard Today - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > I Got Checked by the Coast Guard Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

You sooooooo needed a fake hook hand, like Captain Hook. Arrrrh, i be the Captain matey and this be my booger hook.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #12

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out how asking a question or securing a firearm during a search is violating your rights.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how asking a question or securing a firearm during a search is violating your rights.
Same reason some believe telling a LEO your name is violating your rights, or telling someone to shut up is infringing on their 1A rights. There is a lot of people who do not understand the concept of rights and are so paranoid they think every one in authority is going to trample on their rights. They need to read less soldier of fortune and instead read a book on constitutional law.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:31 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPat View Post
Er. No idea if this has been hashed out here already as it has been on my home board, and I don't know your State's requirements, but "for officer safety" is not a good enough excuse to violate my rights.

I may have to swallow it at that time - obviously, I'm not going to resist - but the officer's agency will be hearing from me shortly thereafter.
Excuse me? You are very mistaken about your "rights". An officer who has lawfully detained you (for a traffic stop or water craft inspection) has every right to ask you if you are armed, disarm you for the duration of the detention and return the firearm to you at the close of the contact.

You are perhaps confusing this with Terry V Ohio that says an officer may not frisk you for weapons unless he/she has a reasonable suspicion that you may be armed and are likely to use the weapon against the officer.

Asking and touching are two very different animals. Step away from the Sovereign Citizen cool-aid.

Feel free to contact the officer's agency after the stop, but do not expect much except a lecture about how wrong your perception of your rights is.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Excuse me? You are very mistaken about your "rights". An officer who has lawfully detained you (for a traffic stop or water craft inspection) has every right to ask you if you are armed, disarm you for the duration of the detention and return the firearm to you at the close of the contact.
Perhaps in Texas that is the case. Not here in GA.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Perhaps in Texas that is the case. Not here in GA.
Sorry, but you'll have to cite a statute or case law to back your belief.

I've been stopped before while driving through Georgia and was asked if I had any weapons or drugs in my car. I've seen dozens of dash videos of Georgia Highway Patrol Officers making traffic stops on I-75 during training seminars and every single one of them asked the driver if there were any drugs or weapons in the vehicle. That was over 10 years ago.

If the Georgia Legislature has passed a law which makes it illegal for a LEO to ask the driver/operator of a vehicle or vessel if there are any drugs or weapons in the vehicle/vessel please post it for us. Even if they have, it would not apply to federal LEOs like the USCG or any other federal LEO.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo45 View Post
Sorry, but you'll have to cite a statute or case law to back your belief.

I've been stopped before while driving through Georgia and was asked if I had any weapons or drugs in my car. I've seen dozens of dash videos of Georgia Highway Patrol Officers making traffic stops on I-75 during training seminars and every single one of them asked the driver if there were any drugs or weapons in the vehicle. That was over 10 years ago.

If the Georgia Legislature has passed a law which makes it illegal for a LEO to ask the driver/operator of a vehicle or vessel if there are any drugs or weapons in the vehicle/vessel please post it for us. Even if they have, it would not apply to federal LEOs like the USCG or any other federal LEO.
A police officer can ask anything he or she wishes. I was specifically replying to the assertion that an officer may sieze my legally carried weapon during a traffic stop without being able to articulate that I am not simply armed, but armed and dangerous.

Quote:
THE STATE v. JONES, 289 Ga. App. 176 (2008)

Georgia decisions agree that in order to justify a search of a vehicle for weapons, some conduct on the part of the occupants such as furtive movements or other indications of danger to the officer must be shown, and the officer must have an "objectively reasonable" belief that the occupants of a vehicle are "potentially dangerous." Silva v. State, 278 Ga. 506, 508 (604 SE2d 171) (2004) (driver leaned under seat as if to conceal weapon and drove recklessly while in that position, then offered implausible explanation for his conduct.) Here, no evidence was presented of furtive movements or danger; in fact, the officer candidly acknowledged that the search was merely his standard procedure because any firearm might be stolen. On its face, as noted by Jones, this policy justifies the search of any vehicle occupied by hunters or sport shooters with their firearms, or any pickup truck with a rifle or shotgun on the rear window rack. This is precisely the danger of "carte blanche authority to `secure' all weapons during a routine traffic stop," noted by the special concurrence in Megesi, supra, 277 Ga. App. at 860.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #18

What happened with "shall inform LEO of having concealed weapon at the beginning of the contact" most jurisdictions require it anyway

Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoglocks View Post
What happened with "shall inform LEO of having concealed weapon at the beginning of the contact" most jurisdictions require it anyway
In Georgia, there is no requirement to inform.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 AM   #20
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
In Georgia, there is no requirement to inform.
Where I live there is no requirement to inform either but I do it anyway. Why not be open and honest and if for some reason you asked to get out of your car and your pistol is exposed it ramps up the stress level of the LEO. With over twenty years of CC it has severed me well to inform the LEO and expect it has gotten me out of a few tickets. Only once was I asked to surrender my firearm for officer safety. We were in a rurual area and I didn't have an issue with the LEO holding my firearm why he ran my info. When he came back to the car he handed me my pistol, the mag and the +1 round. He asked I wait to reload until he went back to his partol car. The officer started to explain why he did what he did and I told him it's not a big deal I understand.

I didn't feel I was being oppressed by the "Man", it was as simple as a LEO alone in a remote area taking what he believed to be safety measure. IMHO LEO's have a tough job most can't or wouldn't do, so when pulled over the best thing I can do is to make the event and mutually simple as possible.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.