Hypothetical "what should you do" scenario - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Hypothetical "what should you do" scenario

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
C3 is being the realist about these scenario based posts. There is never enough full information to give you a true answer, and too many variables to really answer the question definitively. We could "what if" the scenario a thousand ways or more.

Some words the Cheif of the Boat used to say frequently may apply best here in dealing with scenarios. "Remain fluid because flexible is entirely too rigid".
Yeah, I thought about it, and it's not a black and white scenario like most defense scenarios are. There really is a lot that can play into any defense scenario, if ya think about it.
I guess there is no right or wrong here.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

"Hey buddy, that's my bag."

If he tries to run: its on.

If he smiles and says oh I thought somebody left it here shake his hand tell him thanks and go on about your day.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
People Like This 
Old 10-19-2013, 04:36 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
"Hey buddy, that's my bag."

If he tries to run: its on.

If he smiles and says oh I thought somebody left it here shake his hand tell him thanks and go on about your day.
This would be my approach.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post
Ok, earlier I was eating at my university's cafeteria, and got up to get some dessert. I left my bag with my $450 tablet and $80 case in it. I usually NEVER leave any of my stuff laying around (I take it with me no matter how short of a distance), but I was walking about 30 ft away, so I could still see my bag.
I thought of a scenario that isn't really self defense, but more of a protection of property. Just note, this is a "what if" scenario, and I have no intention of being Billy Badass and escalating straight to potentially lethal force, if necessary.
But what if I was in a public place and witnessed the theft of my property, like someone walking up and picking up my bag and starting to walk off.
What would be the best approach to this scenario:

F. Now I do not advocate this, because it would be a use of excessive force and could cause MAJOR legal reprocussions, but what if you approached them, pulled a weapon, and demanded they return your property (again, I do not advocate this)?

I mean if they intentionally stole your stuff, like they knew you were there.
Also would work with car theft/car break in.
I believe OJ tried option F a few yrs. ago. He's still in prison. Just sayn'...
Old 10-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 888 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Tell them, Hey "sport" I think you picked up my laptop by mistake.

But also be aware of the rules of engagement!!

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

People Like This 
Old 10-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 971 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

The situation is going to determine the response. Believe it or not, they're are still plenty of good people around that try to do the right thing. In essence you really have to lean that way at the start. However your instinct will put your response in context rather quickly.

We have a right to keep possession of our property, verbally, then with physical force if necessary. In some sates IE Texas you can go to guns to do so under certain instances. But really is a laptop worth the coming drama

He may also rolling with a crew that might not be detected at the start of the feud. Remember righteousness doesn't always guarantee coming out unscathed / on top.

As for my response in bad situation is be first to initiate violence of action. I'm always good with getting my share of hamburger from his azz even if I don't win the steak.

Best advice...Don't leave your laptop and bag unattended. Grow old and keep your version of paradise calm/centered. Bushido.......

To note... I'm not as spry as I use to be lol. I'm headed for a wheelchair somewhere down the line. But I'm still good for a mad minute or two,never without out a force multiplier or my fighting cane.

Become steel or get cut.

Last edited by Steel_Talon; 10-26-2013 at 01:17 AM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 11-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If the person finger banging your stuff has an undeniable intent to steal it, he is going to get it no matter what. Or at least try to.
If you walk away and not ten seconds later the perp has hands on ur property then that person has already decided you were his mark. You have been eyballed already whilst you munched away at your soy burger..
Perhaps if the criminal knew his potential mark was packing heat or ascertained as much by catching a subtle glimpse of bluing he may re evaluate his thinking..

Old 11-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #18

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
And if I find a bag unattended in public places I might just call security and let them get the bomb squad to blow up the owners tablet, and toys with a water jet.
Go go R2D2!!! Goooo.... with your little package of C4 you suicidal bastard you!!!

Old 12-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #19

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

[QUOTE=Gizord1;1405833]Ok, earlier I was eating at my university's cafeteria, and got up to get some dessert. I left my bag with my $450 tablet and $80 case in it..[/QUOTE]

Forrest Gump once said "stupid is as stupid does". Do you leave you vehicle running with the doors unlocked?

The right thing to do is to be aware of what you do. People get killed for $2 everyday...why push your luck?

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #20
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

When I was assigned overseas, one of the things drilled in my head was "Don't disturb an abandoned bag."
This was before the phrase IED came out and the Baader-Meinhof gang was running in Germany.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Army_Faction
I would keep an eye on it and let security know.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 12-11-2013 at 10:47 AM.