Hypothetical situation for training and discussion: Please play along - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Hypothetical situation for training and discussion: Please play along

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Long time ago when I wasn't armed, if I got into a pissing contest, I would fight for sure, after I got armed, I've avoided confrontations on many occasions, just walked away no matter what they called me or threatened to do, some buddies of mine say I got soft, I reply that I got smart, it's not wise to fight while you're armed, it may go against you in court, remember that as a CCW license holder you're held to higher standards than the unarmed civilian.

Carrying a firearm made me aware that getting into fights is a silly thing to do so I leave whenever the arguments start getting hotter, I just apologize for any misunderstanding and go on my way, IMO it's better to pass as a coward than to kill a man for being a douche bag.

On the other hand, if I get cornered and I'm not allowed to retreat, then I'll fight my way with anything I can grab, hit to make an exit and leave, my gun is only coming out if I'm down and as a last resort or if I'm being threatened with a lethal weapon, but if you retreat and deescalate, the gun shouldn't be even a factor to think about, just don't get to the point where you need to defend yourself.

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Last edited by Mandy; 10-03-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #72

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry, but at 66 years old, I'm not going to take a beating if I can help it...up to and including "deadly force".

Those who live by the sword will be shot by those who don't!

Old 10-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #73

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgerunner View Post
Sorry, but at 66 years old, I'm not going to take a beating if I can help it...up to and including "deadly force".
No reason you should....you, at 66, are a senior citizen. You are already cloaked with a "disparity of force" situation IF your attacker is younger, bigger, and stronger.

The overall question though is two men of relatively equal age, size, strength though. I would fully expect to get shot if I, as 23 years your junior and probably larger and stronger, were to threaten you in a manner that a reasonable person would believe was intended to inflict harm.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #74

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Since I've been carrying I've been far more tolerant of everyday BS and will not intentionally put myself in a confrontatonal situation but...if I get hit, well, he'd better knock me out. Fist on fist I'm NOT drawing on him, I've taken my fair share of a** whompins and I always get up, win or lose, never once feeling like my life was in danger. He gets a blast of pepper spray followed by a right cross in quick sucession. (I've actually visualized that same situation dozens of times) Trust me, the last thing I need is a donnybrook at the Circle K. I've sprayed myself with what I carry and it's no picnic. I know it might not work on all people but it might just distract him just long enough to land at least one, if not several blows until the situation is over. Was approached by a drunk one night looking for trouble, he saw my hand in my pocket (on my spray) and thought better of it. Long story short, someone who goes out looking for trouble isn't half as dangerous as someone who's prepared for it

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting