Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Hypothetical situation for training and discussion: Please play along

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 66 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree with Arizona and the others. Keep it in the holster if you can.
And if you are on the losing end of an @55 whipping, remember this. God gave man speed bags between his legs so women and desperate men can win.
And in a street fight? You better believe I'll crush some nuts to stop the beating.
(I have taken enough martial arts to be comfortable with my self defense skills, and am large enough that it seems to piss off some people, or they want to 'prove themselves' against the big guy.
And, in my line of work, as an appraiser, I am required to go in some very unsavory neighborhoods. I always stay on the edge of paranoid.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #62

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
It can also be good for the body and soul, if your an arrogant jerk like I have been at times.
Trying to fully grasp the responsibility that comes with carrying a weapon, I must agree with Arizona and others. First I would try to remove myself from this situation, fight if I must (it would not be the first time ), defend myself if in fear of my life. I would much rather take a few bumps and bruises than have to pull the trigger, but if the need be the trigger will be pulled.

I refuse to be a willing victim

Old 09-30-2011, 01:52 PM   #63

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelcross View Post
Trying to fully grasp the responsibility that comes with carrying a weapon, I must agree with Arizona and others. First I would try to remove myself from this situation, fight if I must (it would not be the first time ), defend myself if in fear of my life. I would much rather take a few bumps and bruises than have to pull the trigger, but if the need be the trigger will be pulled.

I refuse to be a willing victim
What I meant by that, is that sometimes we all need to be taken down a notch or 2 on occasion. Just in case there was a misunderstanding.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I do NOT recommend looking up the term "wolfing" in the Urban Dictionary. I seriously hope that isn't what those boys were doing in the store.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #65

Liked 66 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I do NOT recommend looking up the term "wolfing" in the Urban Dictionary. I seriously hope that isn't what those boys were doing in the store.
I seriously hope they meant 'teen wolfing' instead!!! That's just WRONG!!!!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:48 PM   #66

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

When I was about 21 a guy a lot smaller than me sucker punched me. I lost my balance and hit my head on a steel door. I lost concienceness for a few seconds. I was not paying attention and could have avoided the situation. I feel that once someone has hit me, it is too late. I will always back pedal and try to keep away from an agressive person. But I will not wait to see who is going to win before I defend my life. My gun will always be a last resort. But it will definately go "bang" before someone gets the drop on me.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:37 AM   #67

Default Hypothetical situation for training and discussion: Please play along

Avoid any confrontation at all cost only last resort.

Happiness is a Belt Fed Weapon

Old 10-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #68

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 35

One H*ll of a scenerio, and lots of very good answers. But, the biggest question here, is why didn't or hadn't the Store Clerk already called the Cops before this escalated to such a drama? The Clerk has the first shot of protecting the Patrons, and with somebody that already can be seen with an open-carry weapon, it's a situation just waiting for a Lawsuit against the Owner/Clerk of the store. Anyway, with all that being said, if I was by myself or even with my Family, and had I noticed something like this being displayed at the store, I would find a way to keep Myself and my Family at their safest and not walk into it, even if it means going to another store. It's safer to be a Father/Husband/Boyfriend/Coward if you like, for another day, than a dead Hero at that moment. A weapon drawn has to be the last resort, even with Castle Law available, but if a weapon is drawn, and it's their life or mine, you can be sure that I will pull the trigger, and probably do a lot of crying afterwards.
Del

Old 10-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
The question is: Someone relatiely equally matched with you physically hits you. In your own words, and supporting WHY you will choose your SD option, tell me what you would do.

Shoot
Hit
Run
Stab
Tase

You are NOT limited to the above answers. Remember...the back story to the conflict is unimportant. It is all about this ONE moment and this ONE threat.

Let's have a CIVIL debate and discussion on this.
I usually try to avoid confrontations in general. If some lady started yelling at me at the gas station, I'd probably walk away or walk back into the store and not even respond if she was being obnoxious. There is no reasoning with certain people and sometimes it's just better to shut up and walk away. If she punched me, I'd probably loudly ask the clerk to call the police and loudly tell her I don't want to fight and to get away from me (while simultaneously looking for something in my periphery that I could grab if I needed to defend myself from her fists, should she continue to assault me.) I've never been in a fight (except with my brothers as a child), so I would not want to let her get too close to where she could get a hold of the gun, but also would not consider a punch from an average 120 lb. woman to be a deadly threat. Hopefully, at the sight of the clerk and the idea of the police on their way, she would calm down or leave. If I was continued to be hit, I would grab whatever item I identified in the area, hit back with it, and run to the car to call 911 myself.

Also, important to note- we learned in our class that you cannot shoot someone you are involved in a fight with when the fight endangers your life and claim self-defense unless you specifically tell them that you do not want to fight anymore and are ending the fight. If they continue and it reaches the point where you are fearing for your life, then it might be justified. Like I said, I have never been in a fight before and I don't go looking for them, but if I did have to defend myself with non lethal force, I would make darn sure someone heard me saying, "I don't want to fight anymore," if the situation escalated to the point where my life was in immediate danger.

I know some people might think walking/running away might be a wussy thing to do, but at the end of the day I would be going home with only a black eye and no loss of life, guilt, investigation, confiscated weapon, etc. and the other person would be going to jail and obviously at fault.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #70

Liked 1283 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 308

The OP senario was two folks involved in a conflict that had nothing to do with me, in a public space.

Since I am not in law enforcement, I don't give a damn what they do to each other and with what weapon. I would pay for my soda and get in my car and leave or if it was gettin hot, I would just leave. If I thought it might be getting dangerous, I would call 911 from my car, and read about it in the paper.

I would intervene only if the life of an innocent bystander was in obvious, immediate and deadly danger. Then I would shoot the sob and be willing to accept the consequences.

If I were threatened, I would also leave, if possible. If I was assaulted I would shoot the sob. Since I am old, and have a heart condition, the disparity of force issue intervenes on my part. Rare is the cop that would arrest or the jury that would convict an older man, who was legally carrying and who was minding his own business, who had to shoot a punk, to protect his self. In the deep South, where I live, they would probably give you a freaking medal.

One reason you don't pick a fight with an old man is; if he is too old to fight, and too old to run, he might, without warning, just kill you.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan