Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Hypothetical situation for training and discussion: Please play along

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

And those are the ones who need to learn to run like me (i.e. a coward) if the situation calls for it.

Running doesn't solve everything, but it can save a life. Yours or the D-bag.
U r correct IMO, if the situation dictates to let u walk away then its the best thing to do. Its healthier for everyone, especially the SB.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #12

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That works if you have the physical ability. I'm nearly 62 and going toe to toe with someone when I am carrying a weapon isn't what I would call a great idea. All they have to do is get desperate during the fight and grab for my weapon. Happens to LEO's, it can happen with you, too!

How many times has an azz whoopin turned into attempted murder or the death of the wooped because the woopee didn't know when to stop.

Or, are you just stiring the pot.......

People get the government they deserve.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:28 PM   #13

First, you are not going to get within an inch of me before we get started. With that said, you are armed and the legal deck is stacked against you if you unholdster without cause. Back away. If they continue to approach a round house to the knee and jab to the throat will do the trick. As others have said, if it takes a turn for the worst and I feel my life is in danger, hollow points will be discharged.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #14

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

As Clint Smith says, "The best gunfight is the one you don't have!"

Rule 23. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Avoidance, or as trip286 said, "I would try to remove myself from the situation." isn't cowardice, it's intelligence.

Besides, there's not a douche-bag worth spending the rest of my life and money defending against a wrongful death suit! The cruelest thing to do is let the DB live out his miserable life.

But.......as Col. Cooper said; "...(but you do not drop your six)."

Situational Awareness, if you don't have it you may miss your death! - cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 09-23-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:00 PM   #15

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Dunerunner, I ran into a guy at the local Wallyworld and I couldn't help but giggle a bit. This guy was way taller than me and I'm 6 foot even, but he was freakin built. I mean he looked like he could stand a chance against Ahnold in the body builder contests when he was in his prime. And on his hip (barely covered by his shirt tail) with a license holder showing his permit, was the cutest tinyest little gun, about the size of a JA .22. The license was bigger than the gun!

It wasn't you was it?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #16

As has been pointed out, the fact that someone is equal in height, weight, and build, doesn't mean "jack"!

My son is a 5' 6" very lean, well conditioned young man. A lot of people throughout is Jr High and High School years thought it would be fun to pick on the little guy. The jocks were the worst. He still runs into occasionally as an adult. But, my son has an ace up his sleeve that a number of people didn't count on. He's a 6th degree black belt. And the has the ability to take care of himself, even when the odds appear to be stacked against him. A number of high school jocks found this out the hard way.

What I'm getting at here is simply that the other guy may be a martial arts expert and could do a hell of lot more than an ass whoopin', and quickly.

I'm 66 years old, bad back, bad feet, bad knees, and arthritis in my hands. I don't fight very well anymore. So, as far as I'm concerned, if the "jack ass" comes on to me with any indication that he's a martial artist, I'm going to equalize the situation with a drawn gun.

When I was a Federal Agent many years ago in the U.S. Air Force (AFOSI), I had more than one instructor from other law enforcement agencies, federal and local, state that if a subject became the least bit belligerent, and, showed any indication of using martial arts, shoot him.

It's a hard decision, but for many of us who are starting into our "golden (rust)" years, the option of mixing it up just isn't there anymore. That's one of the reasons a lot of elders carry. To equalize the playing field. As we all know, often the mere presents of the gun in a threatening manner, ends the threat. Shots don't have to be fired, only the immediate potential to do so.

Yes, retreat is my first order of defense. If I'm allowed to do so, I really don't give a crap what the punk, or anyone else thinks. I'm alive and well. Don't let me retreat and, well, I just might ruin someone's day.

Well, that's my take, my measly $0.02 on this issue.

SgtSam
Take Care, God Bless, And WATCH Your Back

Last edited by SgtSam; 09-23-2011 at 08:05 PM.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
That works if you have the physical ability. I'm nearly 62 and going toe to toe with someone when I am carrying a weapon isn't what I would call a great idea. All they have to do is get desperate during the fight and grab for my weapon. Happens to LEO's, it can happen with you, too!

How many times has an azz whoopin turned into attempted murder or the death of the wooped because the woopee didn't know when to stop.

Or, are you just stiring the pot.......
Not stirring the pot at all. I am just satisfying curiosity. The whole thing is purely for my own getting the pulse of how people are feeling. I use these opinions and hypotheticals (though much more detailed and even role-played in my defensive handgun classes)...your responses help me think up new ways to present actions/reactions.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Whip it out & pee on his feet. After that, you should have an opportunity to leave during his confusion.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #19

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Whip it out & pee on his feet. After that, you should have an opportunity to leave during his confusion.
Don't know about that, I've seen more than one fight start as a pee meets foot incident.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5333 Times on 2784 Posts
Likes Given: 339

a situation in which you are a participant in a 2-way argument may not rise to self defense. just depends on your DA. if you are participating in a verbal fight and then the argument turns to weapons thats manslaughter as you were aiding in provoking a fight.

ive had situations where goblins have accosted me. i just pull out the cell phone and tell them im armed (whether i am or not doesnt matter what the goblin believes) please leave me alone. dial 911 and tell the police there is a individual threatening my safety please send a patrol car.

so far its worked in 3 different encounters.

rule #1 goblins are cowards
rule #2 goblins are stupid (or they wouldnt be gobins)
rule #3 lying to a goblin is allowed
rule #4 the police wont arrest you for calling 911 for help when threatened

knowing that its not cowardice to call for help. its the very first step in justifiable self defense if its possible to do so.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...