Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Hypothetical situation for training and discussion: Please play along

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hypothetical situation for training and discussion: Please play along

Here's one for thought:

At a Circle K (convenience store chain) two knuckleheads were "wolfing" at one another. One happened to be open carrying, what appeared to be, a Witness 9mm or 40 in a nylon OWB holster.

I came through the door at the tail end of this, so I do NOT know what precipitated their bruhaha, other than they BOTH looked and acted very much like douchebags.

I heard one say..."If you hit me (expletive deleted) I am gonna (expleteive deleted) shoot you!"

Now....BOTH were within an inch of one another in height, and within a few pounds of one another...pretty well matched physically.

So....knowing that I know the law on this....I am just curious what some opinions are from the members here. It is just a curiosity thing on my part to find out what the spectrum of answers I will get.

The question is: Someone relatiely equally matched with you physically hits you. In your own words, and supporting WHY you will choose your SD option, tell me what you would do.

Shoot
Hit
Run
Stab
Tase

You are NOT limited to the above answers. Remember...the back story to the conflict is unimportant. It is all about this ONE moment and this ONE threat.

Let's have a CIVIL debate and discussion on this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2011, 06:11 PM   #2

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

If i was the one carrying in this situation and the other guy had nothing other than his hands i would assess the situation and use the appropriate action. If the other guy is not armed with anything then my life is not in immediate danger. If the BG makes a violent move towards me then i will use the equal amount of force to stop his actions. NOW, if the altercation got to the point where the other guy had the upperhand and i was in danger of being choked out or incapacitated somehow then i would consider myself in fear of my life and would use deadly force due to the fact tht if im unconscience the BG could use my own weapon to kill me. But im speaking of me just minding my own business and someone showing random violent behavior towards me. In the scenario you r describing it seems tht both gentlemen will b on the losing side because the guy carrying may have instigated the altercation to begin with so he would b liable for anything tht he did.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #3

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I take my my direction from training and the Guru.

I am in Condition Orange;

Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot that person today", focusing on the specific target which has caused the escalation in alert status. In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that person does "X", I will need to stop them". Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #4

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I feel I'm a bad mamajamma but, I'm not the baddest. The other guy may be more of a badass, and I have a gun on me. I would try to remove myself from the situation. Yes, by running like a coward if needed. He could beat me, and then take my gun and shoot me with it, and there's no need to let it go that far.

If he has a gun, has threatened with it or brandished it, or has any other weapon or object that a reasonable person could expect to cause serious bodily injury or death- that is a fear for your life and shoot to stop their action kind of situation.

I like the saying, "Speak softly, but carry a big stick" Roosevelt right?
I try to avoid confrontation whenever possible, and have not had many confrontations because of it. I HAVE walked away from many D-bags trying to start stuff, and I feel like I'm a better man for it.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

But if the situation were a straight up fist fight with no weapons or knives of any type? Fight if you have to, just be prepared to get banged up and be sore in the morning.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
But if the situation were a straight up fist fight with no weapons or knives of any type? Fight if you have to, just be prepared to get banged up and be sore in the morning.
Damned good answer. A mild ass whippin' is just that. NOT death or grave bodily harm.

Just doing some curiosity satisfaction.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
Damned good answer. A mild ass whippin' is just that. NOT death or grave bodily harm.

Just doing some curiosity satisfaction.
It can also be good for the body and soul, if your an arrogant jerk like I have been at times.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:52 PM   #8

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

OK, I assume this turd has some issue with me and is too stupid to realize I'm armed; even though I am open carrying.

First, I will try to defuse the situation and back away to give myself some space.

Second, if he invades that space I will retreat further but be prepared to defend.

Third, if aggression persists against my warnings and retreat, and assuming I've run out of space to retreat into and his aggressiveness is approaching the boiled over point; I feel it is time to introduce him to the business end of Mr. Colt.

As Cane said, awareness is very important. Not knowing the situation or whether he has friends waiting to jump you is a huge issue. You have to have control of the situation and know what and who is around you. So is distance. I want 10 feet or more between me and the aggressor. A man can cover 10 feet in less than a second. I also want him secured, but if he chooses to run, that is OK, too!

Four, you shout over your shoulder to the clerk to call the police, never take you eyes off the douche bag. Order him to his knees and advise there is going to be nor more horseplay....Although my choice of language should and will fit the situation to what ever extent necessary to convey to Mr. Douche that I am serious.

Five, hopefully I haven't had to shoot the tool yet or he has run away and the authorities have arrived. I follow their instructions, insuring that my weapon is empty and in a safe condition before putting it down.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #9

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Unfortunately there r people out there tht r afraid to take an ass whippin and thts y they carry.. Then they end up pulling their firearm in non life threatening situations and find theirself in hot water

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Unfortunately there r people out there tht r afraid to take an ass whippin and thts y they carry.. Then they end up pulling their firearm in non life threatening situations and find theirself in hot water

And those are the ones who need to learn to run like me (i.e. a coward) if the situation calls for it.

Running doesn't solve everything, but it can save a life. Yours or the D-bag.