Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How old were you when you decided to get your CCW and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hope to retire like u some day.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #102

22. Had a kid, bought a house, considered it long and hard, and havent looked back since. I would hate for a BG to hurt my family, or for my kid to grow up without a mom or dad. I believe people need to be responsible for their own wellbeing, and I carry everyday.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:06 AM   #103

Liked 861 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynn
22. Had a kid, bought a house, considered it long and hard, and havent looked back since. I would hate for a BG to hurt my family, or for my kid to grow up without a mom or dad. I believe people need to be responsible for their own wellbeing, and I carry everyday.
Yes and your a good patriotic citizen....patriotic by our fore fathers standards that is

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 01-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #104

24. Got married..i myself and the wife went through ccl class. Thay was 5 years ago.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #105

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got mine right after the shootings at VA Tech. That's only 1.5 hrs from my house and I asked myself what would I have done if I were there? The answer was simple, hide or run. Because without a firearm I would have been defenceless. Then I asked what if this happened while we (wife & 4 kids) were at the mall or somewhere? That pretty much summed it up for me. I got my permit and joined a shooting range and try to practice my skills all I can. I may be a victim someday, but I WILL have a fighting chance!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #106

Don't have it yet but hope to have it by May or June. Turn 44 in March (you young-ins just keep the "old guy" comments to yourselves--life begins at 40!).

Why? Well, two reasons really. 1) I can. 2) Had to put the last of our German Shepherds down last March. They were both schutzhunt dogs and the neighborhood (not the safest) knew what they could do and that they were quite responsive to commands. For over 10 years they were a deterrent to the BGs around here. A few weeks ago a guy from just down the street asked about them and commented he hadn't seen them in awhile. I replied with "They're around here someplace." (Their ashes are buried in the back yard.) But that inquiry from someone close by of dubious character made me realize that the deterrent here is gone. I have a responsibility to myself and my family to protect us in the event that the SHTF.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:10 AM   #107

Liked 861 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charyoutree
Don't have it yet but hope to have it by May or June. Turn 44 in March (you young-ins just keep the "old guy" comments to yourselves--life begins at 40!).

Why? Well, two reasons really. 1) I can. 2) Had to put the last of our German Shepherds down last March. They were both schutzhunt dogs and the neighborhood (not the safest) knew what they could do and that they were quite responsive to commands. For over 10 years they were a deterrent to the BGs around here. A few weeks ago a guy from just down the street asked about them and commented he hadn't seen them in awhile. I replied with "They're around here someplace." (Their ashes are buried in the back yard.) But that inquiry from someone close by of dubious character made me realize that the deterrent here is gone. I have a responsibility to myself and my family to protect us in the event that the SHTF.
Be like that old man posted the other day-dont say anything and let the lead speak as a deterrant itself. I dont have that issue since everybody w eyrs that works in my little 2 horse 4 tractor town knows comin into my yard little loan my house is a gamble w my mute around

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #108

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charyoutree View Post

Look into the purchase of a GSD from the army - - - I had to go thru 3 "evaluations" but got a great 6 year old female ( since has died of brest cancer )

I should have several litters available this summer PM me if interested in a great pup at a reasonable price ( I breed for "silver gray" in color but always end up with several traditional black and tans )

Old 02-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667

Look into the purchase of a GSD from the army - - - I had to go thru 3 "evaluations" but got a great 6 year old female ( since has died of brest cancer )

I should have several litters available this summer PM me if interested in a great pup at a reasonable price ( I breed for "silver gray" in color but always end up with several traditional black and tans )
Thanks, but we've decided to stick with small pets for now. One of the big disadvantages of having Blitz and Zelda was that we were tied down more than we really wanted--no such thing as just taking off for the weekend on spur of the moment (both were indoor dogs and boarding is expensive even if you can get a spot).

I miss them a lot but it has been nice to not have to structure life around dog care. If we ever decide to with another big dog, will definitely check out the military options.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 02-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #110
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 319 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I started carrying about 3 years ago when I found myself lookin down the wrong end of a .45, my pistol was in my truck but I wasn't. I didn't have my ccw yet so I didn't have it on me but when that happened I made it a point to not waste anymore time and get it done.