Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   How often is a CCW used against it's owner? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/how-often-ccw-used-against-its-owner-87130/)

texaswoodworker 03-22-2013 01:22 AM

How often is a CCW used against it's owner?

Tried searching for this, but couldn't find much.

How often is a gun forcibly taken from a CCL holder, and used against them? I guessing rarely, but would like to see some actual numbers.

Axxe55 03-22-2013 01:23 AM

i am sure it has happened from time to time, but honestly, i can't remember ever hearing about a case like that. sorry, i know, i'm not much help here!:o

shouldazagged 03-22-2013 01:31 AM

That's one of a number of reasons I carry a J-frame EDC. It's much harder to take away if it's in my hand--the barrel is short, and the leverage is mine. But I don't know where you'd find figures on how often it happens.

Rick1967 03-22-2013 01:48 AM

I am sure that number would be directly tied to how often the CCW person trains with their weapon. For some of us that would be almost an imposibility. For others they are simply lucky that it hasn't happend yet.

nitestalker 03-22-2013 02:22 AM

Is it all about training? We have no idea how many people are armed each day? How many times does a civilian use his firearm to stop a crime without firing? We just do not know?
Police however are trained and retrained. Each time an officer is involved with the use of a firearm it is recorded. So we know that 511 officers well trained were killed with their own weapons from 2000-2010.

towboater 03-22-2013 02:27 AM

Thats quite a few. Maybe they would be safer without em. jk

towboater 03-22-2013 02:29 AM

But the bad guy knew the police had a gun. Thats why I prefer Concealed Carry .

trip286 03-22-2013 02:35 AM

I always hear it will happen, must happen, lucky it hadn't happened yet. Yet no one, and I mean absolutely NO ONE has ever been able to provide the answer for me, to the very same question you've asked.

I have heard stories (legit, from newspapers) of robberies resulting in a stored gun being taken, FROM IT'S STORAGE PLACE, i.e. closet, behind the door, etc. etc., and used against their owners, but NEVER have heard of one being snatched from the hands of the owner or from a holster of someone legally open carrying.

That's more a gun storage issue rather than an oc vs cc issue.

texaswoodworker 03-22-2013 03:17 AM

That pretty much the response I expected. Just wanted to make sure. It's interesting that there is almost so data or really anything else on this. I can't really recall ever hearing about something like this happening. Like trip said, you'll hear about stored guns being used, but never concealed guns.

BeyondTheBox 03-22-2013 04:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Found this a while ago, statistic from FBI.

Attachment 92061

Incase you can't read it, it says only 1% of handguns used in self defense are taken by the criminal from the defender... or something like that.