Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How Often......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 01:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Thanks for the info everyone. Now I just need to go stock up on some 9mm.
Ammoman had 124gr +P Gold Dot for $499 per 1,000, delivered.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 03-30-2011, 01:59 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander View Post
After each one has been chambered twice. I mark them with a marker and if they have been chambered twice they move to the "shootem up pile". I am one of those who has a little concern from rechambering shells too many times and potentially uping the pressure.
You can also manually put the rounds into the chamber and then you'll never have to worry about it. That's what I've always done.

For the GF's p22, since ammo is already pretty inexpensive (500 rounds for $50 for what we actually keep loaded in it), we just take the loaded mags to the range and run through them before loading up practice ammo (so, 21 rounds total).

For centerfire, though, I never really bothered shooting more than was necessary to check function, recoil, POI, etc. With the .44, my handloads are the same weight and velocity of my defensive loads and feel / shoot almost identical, so that isn't a huge deal.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:10 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would like to know how chambering ammo several time runs the risk of over preasure? I'm 72 yrs. young and have been reloading, shooting and hunting a good many years and sure hear some tales. The auto pistols I keep here in the house get their mags rotated every month. Dogwalk

Old 04-05-2011, 02:28 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Every now and then, when the nose of the bullet is shoved into the feedramp, it can cause the bullet to seat deeper into the case ever so slightly. The primary factor that would affect this is how firmly the case is crimped around the bullet. Other factors would include the profile of the bullet combined with how aggressive the angle of the feed ramp is.

One way to check is simply measuring the OAL with a micrometer if you are concerned. As long as it hasn't changed, the round isn't a problem. As I mentioned above, though, simply loading the chambered round by hand, rather than from the magazine, will eliminate the issue altogether.

Newest Threads