How much difference would it make?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How much difference would it make?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How much difference would it make?

I carry a Kel Tec P32. I have been thinking of getting a Taurus .38 snubnose. How much difference do you think that would make if I had to use it. The reliability of a revolver appeals to me. I know a .357 would pack more punch than the .38 but it seems like it would be a lot to handle in a snub nose and make follow up shots hard.

I love my Kel Tec and will still carry it some too because it is so easy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think it would make a big difference. I know having a gun on hand is better then not having one at all but personally I wouldn't go any smaller then a 38. You're shooting a bigger, heavier bullet at the same speed or faster for typically over twice the energy. If you decide to go with 357, it's not even a debate anymore. The typical 125gr 357 has over 4 times the energy of a 32 and twice that of a 38.
A 357 can be had in many of the same platforms as the 38 such as a Ruger SP101, S&W 686 or model 60 so it's something to concider. Currently the only 38 I would concider buying is a Ruger LCR, anything else will be a 357 that a feed 38s. I have an SP101 and when shooting magnums there is some recoil but it is controlable and with good ammo muzzle flash isn't bad. My follow up shots are faster with my Kimber but I practice more with it. If I were you I would take a hard look at some 357s, the caliber gives you more options then almost anything else.

yeah yeah, I know you smarties the 460 S&W gives you more but do you carry yours to social events?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-05-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I can't carry here in CA, but I like the idea of the power of the .38/.357 over the .32 ACP.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I would most definitely advise you to get something that you can use both .38 and .357 with. That way you can play around with what type of load you would want to use in a self defense situation. If .357 is too much for you, try a .38+p or .38+p+. Either way you will be getting a more effective weapon than those little pistols will offer. Also consider purchasing a Ruger rather than a Taurus. I know people swear by the Taurus and I'm sure they function just fine, but The Ruger SP101 is great for shooting and carry and built like a tank. It will out live you. It is also comparable in price to a Taurus.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:55 PM   #5

I know the 32 is a small round and many think it is inadequate. I like it though. I can carry it anywhere and keep it hid. I am fairly accurate with it. One shot may not be enough but I can make follow up shots with it quickly. With cold weather though it is easier to hide a larger gun.

Do you think a .38 snub nose has more stopping power than a .380 pistol?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

With colder weather, a bullet has to penetrate heavier and/or more layers of clothing. The .32 is underpowered for that. A .380 is better, but a .38 or .357 is way better IMHO.

BTW, I truly like .380's and would consider carrying one, but bigger really is better. If we ever move out of CA and back to the States, I plan on carrying a .38 at minimum.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #7

North Carolina has that much right anyway....

Old 12-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You're a lucky man.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
North Carolina has that much right anyway....
I've probably already asked you this but where are you in NC?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I've probably already asked you this but where are you in NC?
Lenoir, not too far from you. We probably have both been to the gun show in Hickory.