How many rounds does it take to stay proficient? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How many rounds does it take to stay proficient?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 04:12 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I practice aimed shots, but have really become proficient at point shooting.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #22

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

I'm the OP. I practice "instinctive shooting" or "point shooting" (i.e. not using the sights) all the time out to 21 feet. I shoot my bow instinctively (without sights) our to 40 yards. We do lots of things without using any sights. Throwing a baseball, hitting a golf ball, driving a car, etc. It just takes good hand/eye coordination, which must be developed and then practiced religiously. I can hit a target in almost total darkness. You begin very slowly, at a close distance (say 10 feet) and practice looking (with both eyes open) where you want the shot to go. But you're not paying any attention to the sights. Now draw, point and shoot in one continuous, smooth, fluid motion. (Remember, you're doing this very slowly at first. Almost like in slow motion.) You want the shot to break as soon as your arms are fully extended and pointing at the target. Don't hesitate for even a split second to try to make the shot a little better. If you do, you're training yourself to slow down at the last instant. We don't want that. Do this again and again and again and make any necessary adjustments to get the shots to go where you're looking. After awhile, you'll be amazed at how proficient you've become. Then take 2 shots (double tap) and keep practicing until you can get 2 nice hits in quick succession. Again, start slow and build speed little by little. You'll know when you're going to fast. Then move back a couple of feet and try it. From then on, it just takes practice, practice, and more practice to maintain those skills. BUT IT'S FUN !

Just as a side note: In a motorcycle driving course, they teach you to immediately look for an escape route if you're going to be in an accident. Don't focus on the accident. Focus on your escape route. Your body will try to make the motorcycle go wherever you're looking. Just like you body will try to point the gun wherever you're looking.

Semper Fi

Don <><

John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Last edited by genesis; 09-26-2012 at 04:53 AM.
People Like This 
Old 09-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis View Post
I'm the OP. I practice "instinctive shooting" or "point shooting" (i.e. not using the sights) all the time out to 21 feet. I shoot my bow instinctively (without sights) our to 40 yards. We do lots of things without using any sights. Throwing a baseball, hitting a golf ball, driving a car, etc. It just takes good hand/eye coordination, which must be developed and then practiced religiously. I can hit a target in almost total darkness. You begin very slowly, at a close distance (say 10 feet) and practice looking (with both eyes open) where you want the shot to go. But you're not paying any attention to the sights. Now draw, point and shoot in one continuous, smooth, fluid motion. (Remember, you're doing this very slowly at first. Almost like in slow motion.) The you want the shot to break as soon as your arms are fully extended and pointing at the target. Don't hesitate for even a split second to try to make the shot a little better. If you do, you're training yourself to slow down at the last instant. We don't want that. Do this again and again and again and make any necessary adjustments to get the shots to go where you're looking. After awhile, you'll be amazed at how proficient you've become. Then take 2 shots (double tap) and keep practicing until you can get 2 nice hits in quick succession. Again, start slow and build speed little by little. You'll know when you're going to fast. Then move back a couple of feet and try it. From then on, it just takes practice, practice, and more practice to maintain those skills. BUT IT'S FUN !

Just as a side note: In a motorcycle driving course, they teach you to immediately look for an escape route if you're going to be in an accident. Don't focus on the accident. Focus on your escape route. Your body will try to make the motorcycle go wherever you're looking. Just like you body will try to point the gun wherever you're looking.

Semper Fi

Don <><
great post!!!
thanks
I'm going to copy and paste this somewhere I can keep.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 745 Posts
Likes Given: 679

as far as pistols go, whenever i get to go to to range my HD pistol goes with me. at least a box worth of ammo. now i have to say most of my shooting is at 25YARDS. i figure if i can hit the 0-ring at that distance, i can handle close quarters. now if we move on to rifles as a SD/HD weapon... i hvae trained past, and present with my AR-15. if i have my rifle in my hands and you are 50 yards or closer you will have at least 5 bullet holes in your torso before you can blink... b ut i have practived alot with this weapon, and have seen more than one should in combat situations. that being said., i aggree competly that muslce memory and consistanly traing wil be your best benefit. Alongw with real firing i will add that DRY firing is the absolute best thing you could ever do in your spare time. you can randomly select aergets, and situations without ever having to burn ammo.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 09-25-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale
I do not believe that it is quantity of rounds fired, but rather the frequency of it.

We really don't go through too much ammo. Maybe a thousand rounds a year each. But instead of shooting a bunch of rounds once or twice a month, we shoot a handful six or seven times a month.
I agree with you 100%....it's not the quanity but the frequency. I also agree that being able to draw your weapon quickly and accurately is also vital in a life/death situation. Practice practice practice....practice drawing your piece as quickly and accurately as possible. Dry fire helps tremendously....of course making sure your weapon is empty. But practice practice practice.....aiming and shooting and being able to always hit your target is extremely vital in a life/death situation.....drawing your weapon, aiming, shooting, and hitting your target accurately comes with practice. It's all about muscle memory....IMHO

Last edited by chazzy; 09-29-2012 at 02:51 PM.