How many rounds does it take to stay proficient? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How many rounds does it take to stay proficient?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I do not believe that it is quantity of rounds fired, but rather the frequency of it.

We really don't go through too much ammo. Maybe a thousand rounds a year each. But instead of shooting a bunch of rounds once or twice a month, we shoot a handful six or seven times a month.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

People Like This 
Old 09-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

We met an NRA firearms instructor today at an event that we went to. We are going to spend a day shooting with him to help with proficiency. I can't wait to see what we can learn from him. . Once we work with him, I'll pass along any good tips.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I agree with the op on everything he said!
me being a new handgun owner...user I need to get out there and train all I can.
each time I go to the range I suck at the the first mag (well maybe not the whole mag)then I finally get the hang of it.

and I agree with what gollygee said as well.

seems for me I have a bad at first,then it gets better,than after ahile it seems to go back to bad again.

I know that I have a lot to learn,and my body control is one of the reasons I mess up some shots.
but thats why I like to get out to the range once a week and shoot.
and I dry fire a lot at home to try and help my shots.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #14

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1028 View Post
I agree with the op on everything he said!
me being a new handgun owner...user I need to get out there and train all I can.
each time I go to the range I suck at the the first mag (well maybe not the whole mag)then I finally get the hang of it.

and I agree with what gollygee said as well.

seems for me I have a bad at first,then it gets better,than after ahile it seems to go back to bad again.

I know that I have a lot to learn,and my body control is one of the reasons I mess up some shots.
but thats why I like to get out to the range once a week and shoot.
and I dry fire a lot at home to try and help my shots.
The whole idea is the "first two shots on target in the vitals". If you use your handgun for self defense and/or concealed carry, it is the first shot or two under duress which will decide whether you are going to survive the encounter. Practice, practice and more practice will develop the mind set and muscle memory needed to survive.

Situational awareness and quick reactions without having to think about it, is what will save your life in a situation that might require the use of deadly force. There are no alternatives for practice to develop the muscle memory and mindset required for it to become second nature.

Fast and accurate shooting is a perishable skill and must be maintained through practice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim..........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Last edited by masterPsmith; 09-23-2012 at 10:51 PM.
CA357 Likes This 
Old 09-23-2012, 11:53 PM   #15

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

I don't care what anyone says, as far as I'm concerned you can't practice for a do or die situation, there is no comparison. The only thing one can do is to desensitize and detach theirself from the concept of living, or at least a fear of death. A cool head is the only thing that will prevail in every situation. From there, sure, target practice "can" help, but a lucid mind beats muscle memory hands down, every time!

Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #16

A cool mind comes from experience. Going to the range and throwing a millions at the target while calm and collected does little to help you survive IMHO.

Experience breeds confidence.

Yes, its pretty hard to gain experience in regards to life and death situations without actually being in one. But the military has been training people for that for centuries. One of the keys is learning how to handle stress and preform while your body and mind are stressed.

Is it as good as having been in one of those situations? No, but it is better than going to the range and casually drawing, pointing and pulling the trigger.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

CA357 Likes This 
Old 09-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #17

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Being retired LEO and having been involved in shooting situations, I do vary my practice situations. When I practice with someone else or when I train others, I add stress and distractions to the sessions which is also needed in training.

Jim..

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks
CA357 Likes This 
Old 09-24-2012, 02:29 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

as much practice as one can reasonably afford. im more a proponent of aimed accurate fire being the most important focus. being able to get rounds on target is more important than speed drawing, gun manipulation or any fancy jon-woo mojo.

once a person has the basics of marksmanship at hand then other areas can be focused on. many many many people with alarming regularity and little to no training or practice defend their own lives with first time recently purchased handguns, rifles and shotguns.

just starting out does not equate with being inept. first rule of self defense is to have a firearm. extreme proficiency is not required, it just gives one a very strong edge

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

CA357 Likes This 
Old 09-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #19

Im sorry Jon. I have to disagree with you to a point. Being able to keyhole a thousand rounds at fifty yards from a snubby means nothing if it takes you forty five minutes to get the gun out of the holster and pointed at the bad guy.

Fundamentals do come first. But there are many more aspects that come into it, and many more than being able to keyhole. No I am not saying that being able to aim is not important. Not at all. Accuracy goes right out the window when you think you are about to die. So you do need to learn to be accurate in practice, because the more accurate you are in practice, the more accurate you will be when you think you're going to die. But it is far from the most important thing. Rather it is the balance between all things that is important.

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 09-24-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Speed and accuracy must be balanced. I went through the academy (reserve) with 4 guys on the pistol team who shot nice tight groups with their PPC revolvers (none of them carried revolvers on duty but semi-auto pistols). During the "Low Light/Night Fire" course, not a one of them even hit the target! Why? Simple, they couldn't see their sights and didn't have night sights.

They all shot 100 with nearly all of their rounds in the "X" ring as long as they could see their sights and were shooting on a linear range. I shot in the 90s consistently (100 once) and was the only trainee in the academy's history to qualify with a revolver, as well as single and double action pistols.

The vast majority (85%) of defensive shootings occur within 10 feet! That's true for police as well as civilians. Do some occur at longer distances? Yep. I do most of my pistol shooting at 5-10' and less at 25' to 100 yards. I also vary my training sessions up spending more time and ammo on 50-100 yard shooting on occasion. Are essentials important? Yep at longer distances, not so much at close quarters.

In my opinion anyone carrying a defensive pistol should be able to draw it from concealment and place 3-4 rounds into the center-of-mass at 5 -10 feet without using the sights within 2 seconds, 4 seconds for beginners gaining speed as they gain confidence. To paraphrase General Nathan Bedford Forrest, "You've got to be first with the most" When you've mastered engaging one target start engaging two then three adding no more than 2 seconds per target. I find that Air Soft pistols help tremendously in developing/maintaining shooting skills especially since you can shoot in your own back yard.