How many rounds?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How many rounds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Default How many rounds?

So I shot my Glock 22 for the first time this past Sunday. I put 150 rounds of fmj through it, but only a handful of jhp defensive ammo. I randomly loaded each of the 3 magazines with a couple of rounds of jhp mixed with the fmj, just to see if there was any problems feeding the ammo. I realize that 6 rounds is hardly a good test for the gun, I was wondering how many rounds is? And, what's your opinion regarding randomly loading the mags with defensive ammo? The thought of fully loading each 15 round mag with jhp is making my wallet shudder :/

P.S. I'm not so cheap that I'm willing to risk my life with an untested handgun. I'm just curious. What's your opinions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #2

Liked 280 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When I bought my 1911 a few months ago with intent of it being my carry weapon. I ran 500 rounds of FMJ and almost 200 rounds of random HP through it and picked up a few extra boxes of the most accurate rounds.

And that was before I would even think about using it as my carry weapon. Hope this helps.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 918 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 228

NRA recommends once a month, running a minimum of 100 rounds through a CC weapon, and more often if you can afford it.

Dry fire drills if your weapon can do them, is also recommended. Practice with dummy rounds, clearing jams, double rounds, stovepipe.

Hope, plan, pray you never need your gun, but train like your life depends on it.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk
When I bought my 1911 a few months ago with intent of it being my carry weapon. I ran 500 rounds of FMJ and almost 200 rounds of random HP through it and picked up a few extra boxes of the most accurate rounds.

And that was before I would even think about using it as my carry weapon. Hope this helps.
I personally do this same round count for a CCW, with one caveat: the brand of FMJ doesn't matter, it's simply to shake down the gun for reliability and factory defects. However, you should try 7-10 different brands of factory loads to determine which rounds are most accurate. 2-3 five shot groups are probably enough for comparison, so one box will test 3-5 guns of same caliber.

If possible, do Draw & Fire and Identification & Fire drills so you get double duty: training and gun break-in.

Finally, Include a box of Hornady Critical Defense or Critical Duty in your evaluation - I've had very good performance over several calibers.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I run an absolute minimum of 500 rounds through any handgun I plan to carry for self defense. The first 200 will be FMJ, the next 300 will be 100 rounds each of the top three defense ammo types available locally. If the gun works with 100% reliability I will consider carrying it. Anything less than 100% reliability makes it a range queen or a trade in.

So far my list of carry sidearms works out to be a Glock 27, a Sig 1911 .45 ACP, any of several S&W .357 magnum revolvers, and believe it or not a KelTec PF9. As back-ups I have faith that my Sig P238 and my Ruger LCP will perform as they should. I have a S&W M&P 40, that looks like it might qualify, but the ammo shortage is delaying things.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #6

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

So far my list of carry sidearms works out to be a Glock 27, a Sig 1911 .45 ACP, any of several S&W .357 magnum revolvers, and believe it or not a KelTec PF9.

That's the funny thing about KelTecs. You hear about quite a few people who have problems with them, but then you hear about quite a few who swear by them and trust them with their lives.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanKaz View Post
That's the funny thing about KelTecs. You hear about quite a few people who have problems with them, but then you hear about quite a few who swear by them and trust them with their lives.
I'm not going to say I swear by this one, but the feed and fire problems others have are nonexistent on this one. It does have an issue with a very hard slide release, but it is getting better with use.

Will it work if I ever need it to? Based on my experience with it I would say yes. Is it fun to shoot on range day? No, because of the slide release issue. Other than that, it puts them where I want, when I want, and that's what matters the most to me.