How long are my Carry rounds good for? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How long are my Carry rounds good for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 12:47 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I can usually find a way to waste 50 bucks a month on non-essentials. I don't see the thought process on worrying about the cost of SD ammunition when your life could be at stake.

My lands folks. You need to know how you and your gun react to SD ammunition. Restock every month and rest easy! I shoot it clean it and I'm ready again!

Old 06-22-2012, 03:01 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't understand ammo can stay in a house longer than a few days? I must be doing it all wrong I get ammo and its gone almost as fast

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 06-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #23

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseman3 View Post
I don't understand ammo can stay in a house longer than a few days? I must be doing it all wrong I get ammo and its gone almost as fast
You're not buying enuff

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

truevil1313 Likes This 
Old 06-23-2012, 12:40 AM   #24

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Funny timing on this thread. Just sent all my SD ammo down range and replenished the stock. My take on this is, If you carry HP as your SD round, you better practice with it. It flies different than target ammo no matter the cost.

Old 06-26-2012, 12:07 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1294 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I cycle my defense ammo once a year, and do not have a problem with it. I am due to do it though, and that is as good an excuse as any to go to the range.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:38 AM   #26
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2394 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2512

[quote=Jpyle;837851]moisture and humidity would be the major cause of damage to a round. There is no magic time frame but 6 months would seem to make sense as long as there is no visible corrosion, etc. One thing to keep in mind however is the effect of chambering the same round over and over...it will eventually seat the bullet further down in the casing, leading potentially to a FTF or a KABOOM. Not a good thing in a carry gun. Rotate the top round in the mag and be sure to verify the COL against a new in box round.

Quote:
Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns

The following bulletin
was received from the New Jersey State Police -
Officer Safety Division

Date: February 23, 2007

Continuous reloading an chambering of
the same round may cause
catastrophic failure in semiautomatic handguns.
Agree with what you have said. Moisture/humidity is the worst enemy. Setback of the bullet in a cartridge after repeated chamberings is a real possiblity. Refer to the thread Chambering same round... and also a recent article on the subject.

Multiple chamberings does not always lead to a problem. Some cartridges are designed to resist setback. But rotating your stock to minimize number of chamberings is probably wisdom.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 06-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #27
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2394 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 2512

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Whats the shelf life of a Twinkie?
A lot longer than you should probably keep your SD ammo !!! Got a Twinkie in the machine at work that doesn't get carded in the bar any more...

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/