Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How long are my Carry rounds good for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Default How long are my Carry rounds good for?

Ive had many answers in this so please give me your $.02. Is there a point where my carry rounds are no longer any good? Can i carry the same 15 rounds for 6 months? A year? 2 years? I do switch out mags occasionally. I rotate between 3 mags, each is a different type of HP or JHP. I live in south Texas, lots of heat and humidty, what effects can this have?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just would go to the range and rotate through your carry ammo with new rounds. I don't have that problem, can't seem to keep enough fresh rounds much less have them a couple of years....

Old 06-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade View Post
Ive had many answers in this so please give me your $.02. Is there a point where my carry rounds are no longer any good? Can i carry the same 15 rounds for 6 months? A year? 2 years? I do switch out mags occasionally. I rotate between 3 mags, each is a different type of HP or JHP. I live in south Texas, lots of heat and humidty, what effects can this have?
moisture and humidity would be the major cause of damage to a round. There is no magic time frame but 6 months would seem to make sense as long as there is no visible corrosion, etc. One thing to keep in mind however is the effect of chambering the same round over and over...it will eventually seat the bullet further down in the casing, leading potentially to a FTF or a KABOOM. Not a good thing in a carry gun. Rotate the top round in the mag and be sure to verify the COL against a new in box round.

[quote]Catastrophic Failure of Semiautomatic Handguns

The following bulletin
was received from the New Jersey State Police -
Officer Safety Division

Date: February 23, 2007

Continuous reloading an chambering of
the same round may cause
catastrophic failure in semiautomatic handguns.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 06-16-2012 at 02:20 AM.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I shoot my firearm often, when I shoot my firearm I shoot the ammunition that I have been carrying and I buy the same exact type of ammunition to continue to carry.. this keeps my ammunition fresh and my skill level high in case 1 day god forbid I need it

Old 06-16-2012, 02:55 AM   #5

Liked 694 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 224

In theory the ammo will last 100 years(I've shot alot of ammo over 50 years old). But why take a chance. Rotate your ammo. I assume shoot fairly often anyway. So shoot it up.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:40 AM   #6

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

I have heard of bullet setback so I dont chamber the same round more than 3 times. I do usually shoot a few of them off at the range. But these are HPs and JHPs. Kinda pricey to replace every time. Great feedback tho guys appreciate it.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #7

Liked 694 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I would rather carry target ammo that I knew would fire instead of some super duper ammo that had been in the gun for a couple years.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:10 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade
I have heard of bullet setback so I dont chamber the same round more than 3 times. I do usually shoot a few of them off at the range. But these are HPs and JHPs. Kinda pricey to replace every time. Great feedback tho guys appreciate it.
Well I didn't mean that I shoot loads of it my first couple shots and last couple shots, I shoot my cary ammo..so I burn a box every 4 months or so..and it does shoot about 2 inches lower, even though I guess that doesn't really matter with practical accuracy.. I reload my plinking ammo..and hey I have to replenish my brass cases some how :-)

Old 06-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2611 Times on 1520 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

Going through my storage area, I found a 9mm that had been loaded for a couple of years.

Took that ammo and fresh (never loaded in a mag, but also a couple of years old) to the range.

The ammo that was in the gun fired as if they were black powder. Delayed ignition after hammer struck. I don't know why. It could have been oil or something. The rounds that were never loaded shot great.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

Old 06-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't rechamber my carry rounds and do a complete rreplacement about 2x year.