Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How long can you keep mags loaded?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 04:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

The tension in the spring should be the same loaded or unloaded...it's just the complete opposite when you think about it.

Should be fine fully loaded for years.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Its my understanding that its not the mag being loaded that will wear a spring out it the constant loading and unloding of them that will wear them out the fastest. Thanks Anthony

Old 01-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp_man2003 View Post
Its my understanding that its not the mag being loaded that will wear a spring out it the constant loading and unloding of them that will wear them out the fastest. Thanks Anthony
I was worried about cycling my mags before I read this. (I cycle them every month or two) But now I'm worried that cycling them is doing more harm than good. Thanks man.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #14
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'm no expert on anything, but as a toolmaker for 20 years, it's my opinion, and experience that assuming no rust, or physical damage, a decent quality magazine spring will not be adversely affected by remaining loaded for many years. I won't bore you with personal instances, but I have a couple.

Springs are weakened by loading, and unloading, not static compression.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 04-12-2009, 02:57 AM   #15

amazing info. i was wondering the same thing. i was once told to cycle mags and ammo every month becuz sweat could cause primer problems. since i have never owned a firearm i wouldnt know any better lol

Old 04-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 52

This is just my experiance, so take it for what you will. I had an H&K USP that I kept loaded to 100% for 100% of the time. I sold it to a buddy of mine that keeps it the same way now. It has been 16 years, but the springs were starting to get a little week and would not lock the slide open anymore. We simply opened up the mags, streched the springs and put them back together, and now they are functioning perfect again. When I was in Iraq, we had all of our mags loaded 100% for 100% of the time. My detachment Sergeant would make us all sit down and empty our mags and strech the springs, every 3 months. I have had my Kimber for 5 years now and use Wilson Combat mags. I have had them loaded 100% for 100% of the time, and have had no problems. It is just my opinion that if it is a firearm you are going to use for home/self defense, you should have it ready to go at all times. If it is just a safe quean, leave the mags unloaded until needed.

SGT U.S. Army Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, NC (2002-2006)
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran (2004)

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

All springs take a set if left compressed over time. The question is how much of a "set" can a spring take and still function as designed. The other variable is the quality of the spring. Wolf springs are the best made, and the fact that there are companies that only make springs should tell you something about spring life. I had a .22 rifle fail because it was left cocked for several years, unbeknownst to me until I took it out to shoot. The bolt spring was a coil spring, like in your car suspension, and we all know these become weak after years of sitting around with the weight of the car compressing them, not from use, since a car spends most of it's life just sitting around. The same thing happens to magazine springs left compressed. This is an age old discussion where many people, by virtue of the fact that their mag springs still work after being left loaded for years, will CLAIM that compression doesn't hurt. This is complete BS and runs counter to not only common sense, but metallurgy. Also, stretching a spring in the opposite direction from compression actually weakens it further - it will strengthen the compressive strength temporarily for a very short period of time, and this may be a good thing for a battle scenario, but ultimately a spring which has lost it's tension will need to be replaced. It always amazes me that any kid with a wind-up toy knows this, yet adults who spend hundreds of dollars on their "toys" just don't get it...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 04-12-2009 at 02:43 PM.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy129 View Post
I know keeping mags loaded for long periods of time can wear out the springs. But with a CCW weapon that I will have loaded most of the time, how often should I pop all of the bullets out to give the springs a break? I'd like to keep my high capacity mags intact in case I can't buy them in the near future.
This is a question I was just about to ask. Good to know the anwser but to go along with it and I am sure this has been asked before two. How long can good self defense ammo be kept in a mag. or even just stored in the closet before u just need to pop it off and get some new ammo?

Dave

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Denis Diderot

Old 04-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David26 View Post
This is a question I was just about to ask. Good to know the anwser but to go along with it and I am sure this has been asked before two. How long can good self defense ammo be kept in a mag. or even just stored in the closet before u just need to pop it off and get some new ammo?
Probably not before your life has ended. Remember, much of the surplus ammo being sold today is 20-50 yrs. old and works just fine. Keep it out of rapid temp. changes (Ie. extreme hot to extreme cold), Condensation will ruin ammo, age won't have much of an effect. What can also affect ammo is motion. Powder granules can break down and deterrent coatings can wear off of individual granuals causing pressure increases. This is why it is unwise to tumble loaded ammo to make it nice and shiny.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #20

Liked 269 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I dont keep very many magazines for my firearms that require them. I've had some but not all of my magazines loaded 100% for 100% of time since I've had them. Back in the late '90's a few magazines that were kept this way since the mid and late '70's would fail when used. This would even happen in 5 round magazines. I tried taking the magazines apart and stretching the springs and they would work for awhile. I then ordred replacement springs from Wolf Springs and replaced the weakened springs and the mags were O.K. Also, some of the magazines that were regularly used, eventually would fail due to lost spring tension. I now keep a good number of replacement Wolf Springs that I bought in the late '90's for when I need to "tune up" any magazines I have. I keep a couple of magazines loaded all the time and try to cycle them as much as posible. The rest I leave unloaded. And, when required, changing out springs from time to time is just a fact of life for me. This is the only thing that I know to do that works for me.