How hard was it to get your CWL? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How hard was it to get your CWL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Maine here. And I'm starting to wonder. Hubs and I took the required NRA pistol safety course, $60 each. Now we are supposed to apply to the state for our CCL. If you live in an unincorporated area, you simply print the web application and send it in. If you live in a city, you must apply with your local police department. I live in a tiny town where the police keep their building locked. The chief (the only one who hands out the applications) is either rarely there or unavailable. I've made five attempts so far - went to the police building two times between 8:00 and 2:00 pm, no one there, and called three times to be told that only the chief handles this and he'll be in the 'next day'.

I called again today at 11:30 am - no answer at the police station. No answering machine, either.
According to the info on handgunlaw.us http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maine.pdf
[quote]Carrying concealed firearms: A permit is required to carry a concealed firearm in Maine, except that licensed hunters and trappers are exempt while engaged in these activities; the latter provision does not
authorize the carrying of a concealed or loaded firearm in a motor vehicle. Some town offices or city halls issue these permits to residents. If not, contact Maine State Police. Non-residents may obtain concealed
weapons permits from the chief of the Maine State Police: (207) 624-7210.[/url]

It sounds like your town office or city hall is not one of those issuing. If I were you, I'd call the number listed above for the State Police and ask them how you can go about applying.

More information, booklets, contact numbers, etc. can be found at State Police: Licenses & Permits: Weapons Permits & Professional Licensing. I recommend contacting the number at the bottom of that page and asking what you can do. If your police chief is supposed to be the issuing officer and is making him/herself unavailable, thus making it impossible to apply, then you are being deprived of equal protection under the law compared to your neighbors outside that incorporated area. Maybe you could consider filing a small claims court lawsuit. Or try printing off the web application, filling it out, and submitting it to your local chief via registered mail.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #32

Thanks for all that. It has been inconvenient. I should have been able to just walk into my local police station and pick up an application. However, you do not make waves in a little town forgotten in time as I live in - yes, there are still places like this. Sometimes that is good, sometimes that is bad.

I have found out that I can call city hall and they can send out a dispatch to find the chief if he is working that day so perhaps he can meet me. That will be my next attempt when I have the time later this week.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #33

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for all that. It has been inconvenient. I should have been able to just walk into my local police station and pick up an application. However, you do not make waves in a little town forgotten in time as I live in - yes, there are still places like this. Sometimes that is good, sometimes that is bad.

I have found out that I can call city hall and they can send out a dispatch to find the chief if he is working that day so perhaps he can meet me. That will be my next attempt when I have the time later this week.
I know what you mean about small rural communities. Where I live in Missouri is something like that. Some years ago I had reason to visit the sheriff in the neighboring county, population 8,500 whose county seat, Alton, has a population of 668. At that time, Missouri still required that a "permit to acquire a concealable firearm" be obtained from one's local sheriff for each handgun purchase/acquisition. The young man ahead of me in line was there to apply for such a permit. When the sheriff told him that he couldn't issue the permit without the gun's make, model, and serial number I blurted out, "that's not what the law says."

After I quoted the law, the sheriff replied, "That may be the way the law reads but that's not how we do it here in Oregon county." He continued to make up his own rules, irritating the residents of the county, for another ten years before finally being voted out. None of the long-time residents had the courage to run against him because they knew that if he won they and their relatives would be harassed and hounded from then on. It took a newcomer, a retired peace officer who'd moved from outside that area, to successfully challenge that sheriff and get voted into office to replace him.

It's a good thing I didn't live in that county or I'd have been taking that sheriff to small claims court on a fairly frequent basis. I don't like small town "authorities" who think that they are above the law, or, even worse ARE the law.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #34

Absolutely, I see you do understand. I live in a town of about 1700 people. One of the police officers I spoke with before about this said the Chief is very detailed about this (that's why he's the only one who handles it) and even has the applications numbered. ?? The state doesn't do that, wth?!! It's all nepotism in this town as far as the politics go, including the police. Heh, let's just hope he's reasonable when he finally does get my application.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Absolutely, I see you do understand. I live in a town of about 1700 people. One of the police officers I spoke with before about this said the Chief is very detailed about this (that's why he's the only one who handles it) and even has the applications numbered. ?? The state doesn't do that, wth?!! It's all nepotism in this town as far as the politics go, including the police. Heh, let's just hope he's reasonable when he finally does get my application.
Oh yeah, I understand. I also understand that if one accepts that sort of abuse one is essentially living under a police state. One fights back or one submits to tyranny. In the case of the sheriff I described, he started obeying the law about a year before being voted out of office. Between the new CCW law causing many long time locals to realize how he was abusing them and newcomers to "his" county who wouldn't tolerate his abuse he decided at the last to obey the law he was charged with enforcing.

But he served a good purpose in spite of himself. I used that story three times testifying before the state's House Firearms, Safety, and Sportsmanship committee on why a.) the new CCW law must be non-discretionary, and b.) why the state should repeal the permit to acquire a concealable firearm (PTA). (It's fun to watch lawmakers cringe at testimony of LEO abuse of citizens.) We got our "shall issue" CCW law and the PTA was repealed.

The requirement to issue once you've applied may be why your local chief is making it so hard for you to submit the application. His "reasonableness" appears to be rather strictly defined by law once you manage to submit that application. IANAL, but I did find the appropriate statues Title 25, §2003: Permits to carry concealed firearms online. They very clearly state that once you submit the application he has 30 days to issue or deny in writing that permit.

The MRSA also states that the state Attorney General shall provide model application forms. Those forms are available from the State Police in their application packets. The law does not say that your issuing authority has to provide you with the application (well, actually, it does but it doesn't say that you're limited to getting the application there.) But the law does say that the thirty day time limit starts once you submit the application and that absent any finding that you're disqualified due to your background, your issuing officer (police chief) MUST issue within thirty days of receiving your completed application.

Again, IANAL, just someone capable of reading plain English and who hates abusive authority. But, if it were me, I would send a registered letter to this elusive police chief stating that I wish to apply for a CCW and requesting an appointment for such application within a reasonable period of time, say sometime in the next two weeks. At the same time, I would contact the State Police and request the application packet sent to those living in unincorporated areas. I would fill out the form(s) in that packet. If, or when, the police chief fails to respond in a timely fashion, I would send him that application by registered, return receipt requested, mail. Then follow up in the appropriate court when/if he refuses to obey the law and issue the permit as required.

You may even wish to contact your state's Attorney General's office. Down here in southern Missouri, the A.G. actually removed two or three sheriffs for nepotism and failure to perform their statutory duties within the last ten years or so.

In the Nebraska town where I lived previous to this, pop. 130, the town board thought they had free reign since they were all part of the three largest families and were guaranteed reelection for life. I complained, in writing, to the state A.G. that the board was routinely violating the state's open meetings law. I was not exactly loved when the village clerk was subsequently charged and fined for failing to publish board agendas and minutes as required by law. But the board followed the law after that. To paraphrase Machiavelli, it is better to be feared than loved. <wink>

Last edited by brolin_1911a1; 11-16-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #36

I really appreciate your information and recommendations, brolin_1911a1. I'm going to actively pursue this within the next few days and then I'll post an update.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #37

Here in Indiana, you head down to your local law enforcement (whether city or county) pay $50 for the app and fingerprints.(they do a local background check) 10 days later head back to pick up your app get a money order for $75, send it down state (Indy) 8 weeks later....you get a lifetime lic. (provided you pass a Fed background check)
How's that for painless?

Gun control means having good placement

Old 11-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroutlaw_ View Post
Here in Indiana, you head down to your local law enforcement (whether city or county) pay $50 for the app and fingerprints.(they do a local background check) 10 days later head back to pick up your app get a money order for $75, send it down state (Indy) 8 weeks later....you get a lifetime lic. (provided you pass a Fed background check)
How's that for painless?
Lifetime license?!!!!!! Lucky SOB, ours is only good for 5 years, then we need to pay a renewal fee of $50.

Smith&Wesson M&P .45
Beretta 92fs

NRA member since November 16, 2009

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."-V

Old 11-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #39

Well just a little update, several days ago I had posted about my frustration in getting my CWW app in to our local police dept. I called City Hall (as someone local suggested), left a message for the Chief of Police, and he returned my call within a few hours. As it turns out, the policemen who gave me the earlier information about applying for my CWW were quite wrong and misinformed about their own procedures. The Chief was very polite and laid-back and told me I could simply print my application (available online) and drop it off at City Hall for him to pick up. As soon as I got off the phone, I printed my and my husband's applications, filled them out and signed them and drove them over to City Hall. The app said it takes 30 days, we'll see! I better get back with this guy: Gun Leather, Concealment and Cowboy holsters, Azle, TX. , he is able to make a nice MOB holster for my SR9.