How hard was it to get your CWL? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How hard was it to get your CWL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 03:15 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have Washington State and Nevada.

Wa....$60, fingerprints and it was home in a week.
Nv.....$100, 8hr class ( half for me since I was a range officer @ the store). It took them 2 months and 2 weeks to get my license. 3 hrs at the sherriff department just to pay and fingerprint. All good for 5 yrs.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #22

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 237

Here in Oregon I took a three hour class from a former Desert Storm/Blackwater vet (very good instructor for incite as to shooting situations). Shot two six round loaded mags to make sure we knew how to handle a firearm, NRA firearms class probably should be a requirement because too many newbe's were putting their finger on their triggers ( to which the instructor got rather upset). To the county sheriffs office for FBI fingerprints and photo. That was $65 plus $15 for an extra set of fingerprints to sent to Utah. Utah needed passport pick as well as fingerprints and proof of CCW class and instructor info, cost $65.25. Got Oregon CCW in two weeks and Utah CCW took two months and a week. Combined, CCW's cover around 40 states however Nevada dropped Utah due to lack of shooting training. We were told to always check with state CCW laws before going there due to frequent changes in laws. My wife and I don't go into California any more than the Redwood forests just across the border because they have become pretty much a third world country, even less so due to the fact they don't honor out of state CCW licenses. Just press "1" for english. The nice thing about Nevada is that OC is pretty common, at least in the Northern two thirds, Las Vegas area might be far less tolerant.

Last edited by Viking; 11-07-2009 at 07:54 PM.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #23

Applied for a Utah CC permit in mid-Oct. through Front Sight training school. They provided the printing, photo and training cert. I brought it home and added the check! Check cashed, awaiting the permit! Utah permit will allow me to carry in 33 states. Here in central CA it's hard to get a CC permit. As rifleman said, it can be almost impossible in some areas of CA! The Sheriff in a county near LA is revoking permits because she thought there were too many!

NRA - JPFO - FRONT SIGHT - USCCA - GOA

USAF 1955 - 1975

Μολὼν λαβέ

Old 11-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #24

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 237

That's whats good about most all of Oregon is that the sheriffs are generally highly supportive of CWW especially the SW half and all of the Eastern part. Our only problems come from the area of Eugene to Portland where the voting block is extremely liberal. Oregon is a must issue for those who are qualified, I really feel sorry for Californians that have to deal with idiot "law enforcement" people like Majharv talked about.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock30Owner View Post
I did mine in Tennessee at the same time I got my armed guard license. We call them Handgun Carry Permits (HCP).

$30 extra for the 3 day class (armed guard training is more extensive than the HCP and my trainer doesn't believe in state minimums), 50 rounds at a target. Trip to the DMV to submit certificate, pay $110, and get picture taken. Trip to get fingerprinted (included in HCP cost). Wait at the mailbox for 87 days (state law requires you to be denied in 10 days or be issued in 90 days). HCP good for 4 years.

My understanding is that Tennessee is now issuing in 30 days or less in most cases, currently.
I'm in TN and it seems that it's more about the money. The HCP class is a joke. The one that I took was $50 but some places charge as much as $125 and I don't think that there is much difference in the cheap class or the higher ones. They have a video from the state that is outdated but they still require that it be shown. As long as you don't sleep during the classroom part you can pass that and people that never shot before can pass the range section. We got 48 shots at an upper torso target. We shot 12 @ 9ft, 24 @ 21ft and 12 @ 45ft. You only had to hit the torso with 36 shots so you could completely miss them all at 45 ft and still pass.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:41 AM   #26

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Colorado requires proof of a handgun safety class, but isn't very specific about what that means. Then you take that proof to the Sheriffs Office and get fingerprinted 9 ways to Sunday, get your mug shots, and write a check for $50 the the Sheriff. You also need a cashier's check or postal money order for $52.50 for the CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigations) to run your background check. When I did mine I was told to expect it in 8-12 weeks, it showed in about 6.

FWIW, there are classes offered around here from 3 hours to 3 days, and everything in between. They all seem to get accepted.

Last edited by russ; 11-09-2009 at 06:51 AM.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:50 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm in Pennsylvania . Go into sheriffs office , get picture taken , give them 25 dollars and walk out with LTCF in about 15 minutes .

Any gun owner that voted for obama is a gun owner I don't trust with a gun !

Old 11-09-2009, 05:16 AM   #28
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

WA consealed license is accepted in 20 states. Pass the background check with finger prints and your good to go for less than $60 and your license is available in a few weeks. Good for five years.

To check your state requirements and where your license/premit is good for check this site. USA Carry - Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #29

Maine here. And I'm starting to wonder. Hubs and I took the required NRA pistol safety course, $60 each. Now we are supposed to apply to the state for our CCL. If you live in an unincorporated area, you simply print the web application and send it in. If you live in a city, you must apply with your local police department. I live in a tiny town where the police keep their building locked. The chief (the only one who hands out the applications) is either rarely there or unavailable. I've made five attempts so far - went to the police building two times between 8:00 and 2:00 pm, no one there, and called three times to be told that only the chief handles this and he'll be in the 'next day'.

I called again today at 11:30 am - no answer at the police station. No answering machine, either.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #30

In Wyoming you go to the Sheriffs office, fill out a page application, Show them my drivers license and hunters safety card, pay 81 dollars, get fingerprinted at the detention center, go to the DMV for the picture and wait about 90 days. Hopefully it wont take that long...

Smith&Wesson M&P .45
Beretta 92fs

NRA member since November 16, 2009

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."-V

Last edited by Kage0113; 11-16-2009 at 07:48 AM.