How hard was it to get your CWL?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How hard was it to get your CWL?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How hard was it to get your CWL?

I ask this because i have seen in some threads people say it was a pain in the neck. And i want to see how different it is from here. So what state are you in and how hard was it to get it? And how long did it take to get the actual license?

For me i had to go to a concealed weapons course load a gun fire 50 rounds at a target fill out the target fill out the application go to the jailhouse and get the fingerprint card filled out get a passport photo put all that in the envelope along with a money order and mail it all in. the fingerprints were 35 dollars i think, the class was 35 and the license was 70 or so. and about 3-4 months later my license came in the mail. i live in Florida.

How about you guys? easier or harder?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Mine was much easier.
I went to my county probate office, filled out the paperwork, then they sent me across the street to the sheriffs office to get finger printed.
I then went back to the probate office, paid about $40, and after about a month or so, my card came in the mail.
I live in Georgia.

Last edited by General_lee; 10-17-2009 at 06:08 PM.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have taken the classes and paid all the fees. It may take up to 120 days to receive my chl, but it is not hard.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9167 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Virginia, in a nice quiet podunk little rural county. Went to the Clerk's office (Circuit Court) filled out the one page form (same questions as when buying a gun) Cleark asked if I had ever had weapons training. They made a Xerox of my retired military ID, and my driver's license, wrote them a check for $30. 4 days later, letter from Clerk- I needed to come pick up my license and sign it at the Clerk's Office. No prints (optional at Judge's call here) no photo (your CHL must be presented together with a photo ID).

And for those in states that take 4 months, or make you jump thru 25 hoops- real estate is still reasonable in many areas here, taxes are not bad, and I have friends in the real estate business. C'mon down.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:41 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

In Argentina, it's a royal pain in the a$$ to get a carry license.

After taking a physical fitness test with a doctor and being cleared by a psicologist (a psichiatrist can run both tests), you need to take a handgun proficiency test, get a certificate of good behaviour from the police and prove that you're up to date on your taxes. This is the easy part, since passing all the tests is within your control, as long as you don't tell the doc that you plan on shooting your family and you don't do anything stupid at the range, you're good to go.

After all the above is dealt with, you need to file a license request with the justice department, explaining why you need to carry a gun. A board of anti-gun SOBs will evaluate your request and decide whether you should get a permit or not. They are NOT required to justify their deicision, they can just refuse your permit and there's nothing you can do about it.

All the tests and paperwork (which you've got to pay for even if your request is denied) cost over $200, which is a decent chunk of cash down here (it's a month's worth of groceries!).

Oh, and if you do get the permit, it's only good for a year after which you've got to go through the whole process again. Usually the license is only good for one specific weapon, you can get multiple licenses to carry different weapons or a permit that allows you to carry anything you want, but it costs even more.

I'm ashamed to say that I only got my permit because my dad is a judge and he pulled some strings. I passed all the tests with flying colours (they are rather basic), my police record is pristine and I pay my taxes religiously, but still I was refused my license three times (that's over $600 wasted, by the way). Even though I'd been robbed at gun point half a dozen times this year and had been held hostage twice, the government still thought that the police could look after me. The precinct is half a block away from my store where this happened, and I'm pretty sure I was robbed by policemen at least twice, at least the cars they were driving looked an awful lot like squad cars...

Anyway, I envy you guys! Even the ones that have to wait 4 months to get your permits! At least you know that if you comply with certain rules, it's your right to get a permit. Down here we're screwed, the lady in charge of the final ruling on who deserves to get a license belongs to one of the biggest anti-gun lobby groups in the country, her son was shot by a criminal and now she thinks that my legaly owned gun is somehow to blame.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 10-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #6

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
I ask this because i have seen in some threads people say it was a pain in the neck. And i want to see how different it is from here. So what state are you in and how hard was it to get it? And how long did it take to get the actual license?

For me i had to go to a concealed weapons course load a gun fire 50 rounds at a target fill out the target fill out the application go to the jailhouse and get the fingerprint card filled out get a passport photo put all that in the envelope along with a money order and mail it all in. the fingerprints were 35 dollars i think, the class was 35 and the license was 70 or so. and about 3-4 months later my license came in the mail. i live in Florida.

How about you guys? easier or harder?
I got mine in Texas about four years ago. At that time, it was a 10-hour course, including firing 50 rounds on the range. It ran about $300. Now, I see you can get your CHL in Texas for less than $100 and WAY less than 10 hours.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:29 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Pretty much the same story as C3Shooters. I did submit a copy of my old Ma Deuce qual, as it was the only small-arms paperwork that I had left in my training jacket.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #8

I did mine in Tennessee at the same time I got my armed guard license. We call them Handgun Carry Permits (HCP).

$30 extra for the 3 day class (armed guard training is more extensive than the HCP and my trainer doesn't believe in state minimums), 50 rounds at a target. Trip to the DMV to submit certificate, pay $110, and get picture taken. Trip to get fingerprinted (included in HCP cost). Wait at the mailbox for 87 days (state law requires you to be denied in 10 days or be issued in 90 days). HCP good for 4 years.

My understanding is that Tennessee is now issuing in 30 days or less in most cases, currently.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:12 PM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

An all day class with a multiple choice test and demonstration of proficiency with the weapon. Then a trip to the sheriff's office, a check for $50, finger prints and a photo and two weeks later a permit in the mail.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:18 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I paid $120 for the 10 hour class. That included range time(50 rounds), fingerprints, passport photo, notarized affidavits, and instruction.

The state gets $140, but I paid $70 as a veteran. I waited 3 months after my class to get my CHL, which is good for 4 years after my next birthday. After that renewals are good for 5 years and I think the renewal fee is 1/2 of the initial state fee.