Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How do you move? got tips?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383
I did try up front, but it's nowhere near as mobile. I cant bend over for crap with it up front.

And right now I am using the $15 Nylon blackhawk while a custom leather one is being made. seems nobody else is dumb enough to try to conceal a Beretta Elite with the thicker Brigadier style slide

I might give the "butt forward" a try. I used to tuck my water guns in that way as a kid
Most important is what you feel comfortable with, what you can conceal best on your body. Give it some time, you get used to it an your confidence goes up that nobody can see your carrying.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #22

Liked 515 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 952

I had my g27 concealed (owb) under my shirt and my wife was unaware.

Jeremy

Member: NRA

The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!” – Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 09-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #23

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

I flipped the weapon around for a butt forward carry. 1000 times better! (even did a few practice draws, and with it carried that way, my natural tendency is to rotate the barrel down and clear of my thigh/leg before bringing it forward, so no worries about sweeping myself on draw)

I didn't even change the holster! using the cheap nylon blackhawk size 2 special for $12, I flipped the gun in the holster, so that the slide passes through the trigger guard area, and the trigger is in the slide area. it gave the weapon a LOT more cant, which I specified a lot of cant in the custom leather holster I ordered, but this $12 holster is "straight up" when the pistol is in the "correct" way.

I wore it around all day that way yesterday it it feels much tighter against my body, and I wore it that way out to dinner last night, then to Wal-mart afterwards. (neither place had "no weapons" signs...not looking to cause trouble in the first week of having the permit, should I accidentally reveal while in a place that has the 'no weapons' sign)

and so far, my wife hasn't even noticed that I've been wearing it around the house all week, or that I had it last night at dinner. She even offered me her last Margarita from the pitcher, and I kept saying no. she was giving me the crap about wasting money on alcohol, and put it right in front of me and said "I can't drink any more, you need to finish it"

(we were out with friends, and the 2 ladies ordered a pitcher of Mararita, of which, my tiny 120 lb wife couldn't finish)

Old 09-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #24

Liked 348 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Cuda, at some point down the road you're probably gonna break down and get something a little smaller, easier to conceal. When I got my CPL, I figured I'd carry one of my full sized 1911's. That didn't last long. Packing an M&P Shield as I type.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #25

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

Good job cuda, it's a little trial and error on finding what suits you. Glad your getting used to it. Be safe bud.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #26

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm 6' 210 lbs so take that into effect when reading this. I carry my XDm in the waist 3 o'clock with a galco king tuk I believe they are called. It is easily concealable with a t shirt. I now buy my tshirts xxl or xl long at least to the crotch if I pin it to my shoulders without trying it on. The most important purchase besides a holster is your belt.

I wear a wilderness 5 stitch (about $50) and the belt made such a huge difference I cannot emphasize the purchase enough. If your belt drops and you have to adjust every 5 minutes it not only wears on you but you are much more likely to be noticed screwing with your rig.

It will take you about 3 months to truly become comfortable with carrying. Every one I actually show the fact that I am concealed to (not very many) is shocked that they didn't see a full size pistol under my shirt. Printed shirts help tremendously also as what distracts the eye conceals amazingly. Happy carrying and welcome to the club!

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson
NTD Likes This 
Old 09-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #27

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Cuda, at some point down the road you're probably gonna break down and get something a little smaller, easier to conceal. When I got my CPL, I figured I'd carry one of my full sized 1911's. That didn't last long. Packing an M&P Shield as I type.
yeah......

Old 09-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
HA! Don't be too sure, my wife pretty much ignores me around the house.
How did you get so lucky?

Old 09-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #29

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Same here about the wife. 75% of th time I carry in a Milt Sparks VM-II IWB holster. It makes for a better ccw. Your not so worried about the barrel and he bottom of your holster sticking out.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #30

Liked 1721 Times on 1106 Posts
Likes Given: 874

Yep, longer shirts or you may find yourself dressing up a bit more.
After a while, I figured a sport jacket works very well at concealment if you'
re going to dinner or just around town. You can wear one with anything now (thank you Sonny Crockett).
Just be aware that you will probably start unconciensly start putting your hand on the butt of the gun when getting out of your car, bending over in stores, etc. You'll have to break yourself of this habit, as well as walking lopsided, constantly hitching up your pants, and suddenly moving your carry side away from others for no reason.