Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   How do you move? got tips? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/how-do-you-move-got-tips-71429/)

70cuda383 08-30-2012 12:15 PM

How do you move? got tips?

Just got my permit, but before going out in public, I wanted to practice wearing it around the house to make sure I'm not showing/flashing it in my normal movements. I'll be carrying a full size semi-auto IWB.

so far, I can carry it and have it be very comfortable, I don't notice the weight, and for the most part it does not show. (I might re-consider the skateboard grips though, or modify the holster to get some leather between the grip and my skin! otherwise I'm going to rub through and start bleeding all over my weapon:eek:)

but, the only time I notice that I need to be VERY careful with having it slip out of concealment, is if I sit down in a chair, like at the dinner table, or when I bend over to pick something up.

From those of you who carry IWB at 4-5 o'clock, what are your tips or tricks to keep from showing when in these situations? If I am sitting at a "floor table" at a restaurant, I don't want to show. in a booth would probably be much better, but you don't always get a choice when going out. or if I'm at the grocery store and bend over to get something off the bottom shelf...again, don't want my shirt to hike up and uncover the weapon.

so, what do you guys do?

Rick1967 08-30-2012 12:37 PM

Whatever shirt you wear should be long enough to hold your arms strait out to your sides without you gun showing from any direction. You should look like a t when you look in the mirror. If you can see your gun at all your shirt is too short. As far as sitting on the floor. I probalby would need help getting up anyway. LOL. Sometimes you simply have to be careful. The biggest thing to make people notice you are packing is...you messing with it.

70cuda383 08-30-2012 12:53 PM

Yea, that's going to be my biggest trouble in the warmer months. I'm 6'4" and "all torso" so a lot of my shirts are too short, and I'll have to make sure I start getting longer shirts, even if that means stepping up to a XXL. Cooler weather is no problem, sweat shirts, sweaters, etc. are always big/baggy.

and I didn't mean sitting on the floor, but on like, an open back wooden chair, at a round table, in the middle of the floor, vs in one of the booths with the big wide bench seat back up against a wall. I'm used to sitting about half way onto the chair and leaning forward to the table, but might have to get used to sitting all the way back, resting against the back of the chair a little bit, and sliding the chair further in.

treehugger49 08-30-2012 01:27 PM

First of all, it's normal for folks new to conceal carry to think you're going to stand out from the crowd just because you're carrying. Believe me, even if you print slightly, only other conceal-carry people will probably notice, so relax!

I carry a full-size XD-40 service in a CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe IWB holster, which has the leather backing to which you allude, and I've found it to be mostly comfortable and it conceals well. I say "mostly" comfortable because it is almost impossible to carry a full-sized pistol around all day and not notice it in some configurations, but I've become accustomed to it sitting (even in a car seat with seat belt) and lying down, and am only minimally aware of it.

If you're going to add any grip material to your gun, I'd stay away from the granular material - it tends to print more, wear on your clothing, and may add to your discomfort. I have Talon Grips in Rubber Texture applied to my XD and haven't noticed any more tendency to print, yet they add considerably to a good grip.

If you're going to bend over, bend at the knees rather than the waist.

Printed shirts conceal better than solids.

Get a good, stiff gun belt.

Congrats on your decision to carry. Stay safe.

mountainman13 08-30-2012 01:58 PM

As was said don't worry about it so much. If you're worried about it you'll develop tells that will give you away such as the occasional mindless gun check. I generally have minimal coverage and I'm a small guy with a big gun (pics below). Your time will be better spent thinking about what to say when/if an anti does notice. I've had anti's make remarks about my NRA hat and not notice I was carrying a thinly veiled glock 30.

mountainman13 08-30-2012 02:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sorry droid fail. Here's the pics. Btw I also have a gun in that pants pocket.

silverado113 08-30-2012 02:02 PM

DON'T GO INTO THE LIGHT...lol

mountainman13 08-30-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverado113
DON'T GO INTO THE LIGHT...lol

Lmfao. Only mirror that would work was in the bedroom. Woman's still sleeping. (lazy)

70cuda383 08-30-2012 02:23 PM

I was able to wear around the house all last night and my wife didn't even notice. I figure if I can wear without her knowing, then I should be ok in public. :D

I didn't add any matrial to the grips, but they are custom grips that are made out of a rough textured material like skateboard tape. But as mentioned, if I can't find a way to carry without rubbing my skin off, then I'll put the factory hard plastic grips back on.

JD1969 08-30-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cuda383 (Post 921359)
I figure if I can wear without her knowing, then I should be ok in public. :D

HA! Don't be too sure, my wife pretty much ignores me around the house.