Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How do you get your wife thinking about home/personal protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #21
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1617 Times on 845 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Some one was trying to snatch the door open that was being held by the flimsy little security chain, so she grabbed the 500 out of the closet and jacked a round in the chamber. She heard someone yell "Oh FU&%!" and saw them take off running down the street. She said heck with it, jammed the barrel through the cracked door and popped one off.
!!! The guy was running away? Did she she what she was shooting at?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #22

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

DANG!! I would never recommend randomly shooting a gun through a cracked door. I think some lessons in safety and knowing who and where your target is in order. The last thing you want to do is accidentally hit an innocent bystander or a neighbor's house. In my opinion, even if you live out in the middle of nowhere, one should not be shooting blindly into the night.
Your correct and I let her know about it when I talked to her then. Before this happened she had only minimal training in how to operate the gun. It was a safe lane of fire though, no one was on the street except for the guy who tried to break in, no houses in the lane of fire at all. And it was way out in the country. The cop who responded also let her know not to do it again. I don't condone that action at all, which is why she's had much more in depth safety training since then, that was 2007.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #23

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
!!! The guy was running away? Did she she what she was shooting at?
She was a scared 21 year old woman at home alone with an infant baby. See the other post where I replied to WoC.

That situation has been rectified.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5324 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

I belive the sig p226 in 22lr converts to a 9mm. Why not get her the p226 in 22lr let her get used to it then later on get her the 9mm conversion.

The smaller the gun the more unpleasent it is to shoot. The gun industry markets small "lady" guns to women and those abortions have done more to hurt getting women into shooting than the liberal media has. Giving a new shooter a small gun is a sure way to turn them into gunhaters for life.

Im not talking about small as in caliber but small as in the physical size of the gun. A new shooter should be experiencing full sized firearms whatever the caliber rather than some small pink unpleasent to shoot pocket pistol labeled as a lady's gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #25
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6761 Times on 4085 Posts
Likes Given: 8090

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Your correct and I let her know about it when I talked to her then. Before this happened she had only minimal training in how to operate the gun. It was a safe lane of fire though, no one was on the street except for the guy who tried to break in, no houses in the lane of fire at all. And it was way out in the country. The cop who responded also let her know not to do it again. I don't condone that action at all, which is why she's had much more in depth safety training since then, that was 2007.
That's good to know you don't condone that and she was taught that it wasn't right. I was not judging, I am learning every step of the way and that is one thing I learned here. I also know we do things in high stress situations that, when we look back, we realize was very wrong.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #26

Likes Given: 1

All good suggestions, thanks! As far as her being comfortable around guns, she has no issues with the guns we have in the house, or the fact that I do carry. Shes handled guns in the past, and we've gone shooting a few times, so its not the fact that she doesn't like them, its her lack of self/ home/ family protection that would be the issue if there is ever a break in, or someone attacks her when shes getting in the car. I'm not paranoid, or think that there' s a BG hanging out outside our home waiting to hurt us, but I know how things go down. I've tried to explain to her to watch her surroundings when walking to her car, always wait in the locked car until the garage door is down before getting out, etc.
Her family has all taken CCW classes, and started getting interested in guns due to them living in a secluded area and her father traveling for work, so carrying and protection are topics that come up quite a bit in conversations. As I mentioned, I think the biggest part is naivety, and not having anything happen in her past to make her feel like she needs to worry about it. Self defense classes are available, and again thats been talked about with her mom and sister, but its one of those discussions, "We really need to do something like that", and then its not brought up again. Maybe Thanksgiving dinner is the place to bring that up again and actually get them enrolled.
As far as any of her friends that carry or shoot regularly, I didn't think any did until I found out recently that one I wouldn't expect has her CCW and carries all the time. Its the younger daughter of our marriage mentors; we became friends with her and her fiance and recently went out to dinner. The topic of guns came up and she mentioned she carries a pistol on her all the time. I thought she was joking because she's this tiny little sweet Christian girl that would be the last person to do so. She carries and practices shooting weekly, so I feel bad for the first person that thinks she would be an easy target, (not really). Her fiance is a LEO, so I think she has more knowledge of the evils in the world, so shes decided to carry.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #27

Likes Given: 1

I think the defense classes will be the first step, and hitting the LGS more for practice also needs to be done. I used to sit down with her every few months and hand her the 9, and ask her to show me how to use it, but we've not done that lately either.

Also, maybe talking more about what to do if the alarm sounds, or its obvious someone is in the house. As I stated earlier, her idea would be to go to the kids room and get them, (unarmed), which in my mind would be the worst option. Yeah, a BG getting ahold of a child is very bad, but a BG cornering the whole family, (again unarmed), in a room isn't going to have a good ending either.

I'm not trying to scare her, make her paranoid, or turn her into a person that doesn't want to go anywhere because shes scared, I just obviously care about her safety along with the safety of our kids, and if I can do anything to educate her, I want to do it.

Last edited by dborns; 11-23-2011 at 03:34 PM.