How do you get your wife thinking about home/personal protection?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How do you get your wife thinking about home/personal protection?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default How do you get your wife thinking about home/personal protection?

I work odd hours and am away from home overnight three days a week. Aside from a dog, and a monitored alarm system, I've also bought various guns for home and personal protection. I've shown my wife the handguns and explained how to use them. We've also shot numerous times together, and she is actually a good shot, but she felt the 9mm had to much kick, and no way is she going to go for the shotgun. I bought a .380, but she has yet to shoot it, and with only 6+1, I don't know what kind of protection that would give. I've asked her before what she would do if one of the doors was kicked in, or if the motion detector in the basement sounded; would she go get a gun or would she go get our kids. Her answer was she would go get them first. Scary.
I also always tell her she needs to be sure and pay attention to her surroundings when shes out. There are times when I see her pull into the driveway at night, and shes paying more attention to the conversation on her cellphone as she walks up to the house, than anything going on around her. There was a time when I came in the door and she didn't know it was me, and just heard someone walking down the hallway. I found her frozen, standing in the bedroom as if she didn't move she would blend in with the wall or something. She said she heard something moving around, but wasn't sure what it was. Again, scary.
I've thought about self defense classes, there are some locally. Also I have my CC, and so does her whole family, but the way she leaves her purse open and unattended, it scares me.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her thinking about protection more?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

With you being a member of the NRA, keep the monthly magazine open to that section in your "library".

Combat Handguns has a section of "It happened to me..." and you can do the same with that.

Discuss articles in the newspaper (like "I didn't think such things happened so close to home.")

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-22-2011, 01:45 AM   #3

Get an invisable fence around your house and get a big dog that barks when people come around.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:55 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 690

im in the same boat. my wife is one day okay with guns the next not so much. we recently had a bunch of break ins and we live in a tiny 1000 people town. after we discussed the events one of the nights soon there after she asked me to show her how to use my pistol that i have next to the bed. ofcourse i immediatly gave her a lesson... that was a couple weeks ago.. over the weekend she mentioned how she pulled the pistol out of the holster easier. and i gave her a sideways look sayng were you actually getting acquainted with it while i wasnt home? she then started joking about how it fell and blah blah.. but i was very impressed at her taking some time to hold it and such when i was working... im thinking her permit might be in the works soon if we can find a pistol shes comfortable with.. she says my .40 xd slide is to hard to chamber a round for her.. since then its had one in the tube

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:01 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i would recomment the body gaurd its small packs a punch and has a laser on it already

Old 11-22-2011, 02:04 AM   #6

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Unfortunately, I feel the only way for her to truly understand and respect it, is to experience it first hand.

Signing out, Alpha1victor.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:11 AM   #7

Good idea on the magazines. I love the stories about the BG's getting what they deserve. Got the dog- he barks when the wind blows, so thats good. The alarm system was installed professionally, and there are only a few small issues I've noticed on it where it could be compromised, but nothing that anyone else would notice. What worries me is that she's naive, and would rather open the door to someone selling something instead of possibly hurting their feelings by talking through a closed door. I'm 6'2", 200 lbs., and I don't open the door to anyone unless its a neighborhood kid selling cookies or wrapping paper.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:26 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

i took my wife out shooting the ar15. she liked the rifle so we went to a gunshow and let her try a lot of different configs. she ended up with a m4 dpms panther. she shoots it enough to know how to use it in a crisis.

i would say get her comfy with shooting. i made it a shooting and dinner nite once a month then eased her into once a week.

try going at it instead from a have to or be a victim into something fun to do together and the rest will follow in time.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 AM   #9

I really like the SW Bodyguard, but again I wouldn't trust her carrying one in her purse. Of the two, I'd rather she had the revolver, but from what I've seen it doesn't have a safety, or am I wrong on that? I know my Keltec .380 doesn't have one so thats unloaded and in the safe unless I'm carrying it.

AlphaVictor, I'm afraid your right, but I want to do what I can to keep something from happening. I don't want to seem paranoid or that everyone is out to kill. I just feel like you have nobody else to blame if you have the opportunity to learn how to protect yourself and you don't do it and just live on the idea that no one is going to hurt you.

Last edited by dborns; 11-22-2011 at 03:17 AM.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:37 AM   #10

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Mine was never really interested until we had someone try to break in the crappy little trailer we were renting while I was away on the pipeline. She pulled out the 12 Gauge and let 'er rip.

Some one was trying to snatch the door open that was being held by the flimsy little security chain, so she grabbed the 500 out of the closet and jacked a round in the chamber. She heard someone yell "Oh FU&%!" and saw them take off running down the street. She said heck with it, jammed the barrel through the cracked door and popped one off.

Before that happened she didn't really like having guns around, now she's pretty adamant that while she doesn't really like guns, I'd better have one.

Thinking about the other thread, "Have you ever had to draw on someone?", I realize that I haven't had to draw on anyone as a civilian, but my wife has. Wow. That just never dawned on me.