How do you feel about "gun free zones"? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

How do you feel about "gun free zones"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

This brings to light an issue that I've been thinking about. Should you break the law knowingly (carry in an unlawful place) to be sure that you can provide yourself and those around you with protection from the people who would do evil? Obviously this doesn't apply to LEOs.
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 2005

Old 07-11-2011, 11:13 PM   #42

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
The original intent of GFZ's was to create a "charge" for thug's, pushers, ect, who hung out close to inner city schools looking to target students.

The unintended consequence with all GFZ's is the creation of DVZ's, "defenseless victim zones".

Hypothetical Question...Say you as an armed CCW holder, unknowingly wandered into a GFZ/DVZ and while you were present encountered a work place shooter hell bent on causing death any mayhem. Let's assume you were able to save not only your life, but dozens of lives gauging by the amount of ammo the "now ventilated" nut job was carrying.

Would you really care about receiving the charge of violating a GFZ or would you be grateful to be alive and able to answer this BS charge?

TACK
In Alabama a CHL license holder (or LEO of course) may legally CC on K-12 school campuses, but strangely enough not college/university campuses.

The assistant principal (a USMC veteran whose name escapes me) of Pearl (Mississippi) High School had to run 6 blocks to get to his pick-up truck to retrieve his 1911 .45 (he couldn't park on school grounds due to the idiotic GFZ law Mississippi had at the time to stop Luke Woodham when Woodham came into the school shooting students armed with a 30/30 rifle. Woodham surrendered immediately when confronted by the assistant principal pointing his .45 at him.

The Mississippi Legislature changed their GFZ law to exempt CCW holders from the law very shortly thereafter (according to the the Mississippi AG at a training seminar on school violence in Birmingham, AL in 1998 (or 99) sponsored by the Alabama AG I attended).

Old 07-12-2011, 01:46 AM   #43
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4 View Post
Just to add to this as truevil1313's post says Texas is getting closer to open carry. How will this effect "GFZ"s?
in wisconsin we dealt with in that permit holders are exempt from crime victim zone law. unfortunately cant go in buildings but the 1000foot rule doesnt apply.

there is a reason most mass killings take place in gun free work places and schools.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #44

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post
I think they are bull****, I would very willingly pay to take a safety course get a license what ever, just to have no gun laws. I'm talking no full auto ban, no gun free zones.... I hate that we need to live in a world where we accommodate for the minority.
We do need to stop catering to criminals...

Old 07-13-2011, 02:30 PM   #45

i agree, which is why i moved out of California for good years ago.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #46
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3466 Times on 1787 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
We do need to stop catering to criminals...
Who is doing the catering? The Legislators. Does that make them enablers or criminals?

Old 07-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #47

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I herd on the news here in milwaukee even though open carry is legalo here
a man ON HIS OWN LAND was arested in madison! the charge....disordly
conduct! but madison is full of WACKOS LEFTYS.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #48

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How do you feel about "gun free zones"? - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection

Old 07-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #49

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
I herd on the news here in milwaukee even though open carry is legalo here
a man ON HIS OWN LAND was arested in madison! the charge....disordly
conduct! but madison is full of WACKOS LEFTYS.
If I were him I would be suing the crap out of someone.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:25 AM   #50

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Gun Free Zones are a welcome mat for gun violence. The criminal with intent isn't going to obey the damned signage or the laws!! The laws do not protect anyone!!