How do you feel about "gun free zones"? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How do you feel about "gun free zones"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 08:01 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

There are a few things that I do or say or choose, whose justification may only come from the US Constitution. Not meaning that I intentionally break the law in a flippant manner or anything of the sort.

But some things are too important to leave to stupid and arbitrary lawmakers. I would sure hate the legal process if I had to fight against illegal prosecution. But for some things I'd be willing to fight if I knew I was in the right and the law was in the wrong.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #32

Liked 93 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
You know the sad part? We make laws for the majority of the people to control a minority of people who don't follow the laws in the first place.

Thaduece,

Just saw your comment for the first time and love it!!!

May I make this small change to the words?

"Our elected or appointed idiots make laws for the majority of the people to control a minority of people who won't follow the laws in the first place!"

Old 07-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #33

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

The original intent of GFZ's was to create a "charge" for thug's, pushers, ect, who hung out close to inner city schools looking to target students.

The unintended consequence with all GFZ's is the creation of DVZ's, "defenseless victim zones".

Hypothetical Question...Say you as an armed CCW holder, unknowingly wandered into a GFZ/DVZ and while you were present encountered a work place shooter hell bent on causing death any mayhem. Let's assume you were able to save not only your life, but dozens of lives gauging by the amount of ammo the "now ventilated" nut job was carrying.

Would you really care about receiving the charge of violating a GFZ or would you be grateful to be alive and able to answer this BS charge?

TACK

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 07-10-2011 at 02:44 PM.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #34

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

I don't care for gun free zones. It has been stated so many times, but they don't prevent crimes from happening. A great example would be Virgina Tech. A supposed gun free zone. Perhaps Cho didn't get the memo.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #35
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3360 Times on 1739 Posts
Likes Given: 354

In Texas, there is no crime for violating the "gun/weapon free zone"

In Texas it is an enhancement. You first have to commit an offense with a gun/weapon (UCW, Felon in possession, Poss. Prohib weapon, etc). THEN it must have occurred w/in 300 feet of a school premis.

Unless you have unregistered NFA items in your home or are a convicted Felon. There is nothing illegal about having a guin in your home next door to a school.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
Thaduece,

Just saw your comment for the first time and love it!!!

May I make this small change to the words?

"Our elected or appointed idiots make laws for the majority of the people to control a minority of people who won't follow the laws in the first place!"
Ray, you can change it however you want provided you spell my name right...
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 2005

Old 07-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #37

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

In Texas, The "Gun Free Zone" only come into play when an offense is committed. If you can legally have the weapon in the area, (read in your residence) you do not have a problem, but if you do something illegally in you residence, within the "weapons free zone" with the weapon, then you may, or may not have a problem, depending on the way the DA and/or LEOs want to handle it.

From the Texas Penal Code:

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a): (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;.......(see Texas Statutes for complete section)

Sec. 46.11. PENALTY IF OFFENSE COMMITTED WITHIN WEAPON-FREE SCHOOL ZONE. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), the punishment prescribed for an offense under this chapter is increased to the punishment prescribed for the next highest category of offense if it is shown beyond a reasonable doubt on the trial of the offense that the actor committed the offense in a place that the actor knew was: (1) within 300 feet of the premises of a school; or(2) on premises where: (A) an official school function is taking place; or(B) an event sponsored or sanctioned by the University Interscholastic League is taking place.(b) This section does not apply to an offense under Section 46.03(a)(1).(c) In this section: (1) "Institution of higher education" and "premises" have the meanings assigned by Section 481.134, Health and Safety Code.(2) "School" means a private or public elementary or secondary school.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

"Gun Free Zones" work. They only work to create a killing area that they have no fear in. Look at how well it worked at Columbine and VA Tech. Here is some of the proof that "GFZ's" do not work:

School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People need to wake up, "GFZ's" do not work. Your state will issue you a permit to carry anywhere in the state expect in government bldgs and others, why can you not carry every where else. They trust you but do not trust you.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #39

Liked 93 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
Ray, you can change it however you want provided you spell my name right...
LOL - I'm sorry. I'll get it right.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:59 AM   #40

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Just to add to this as truevil1313's post says Texas is getting closer to open carry. How will this effect "GFZ"s?