Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How Do You "DO" Home Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 04:16 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC357 View Post
I have a pet Python.

OC
We're not allowed snakes* here, either

And I can't even train my Axolotyl to bark, let alone attack...

* Yes, I do know he's not referring to an actual snake; I just couldn't resist the joke.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #42

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf1066 View Post
It's the law, here. Bolt, ammo and firearm stored separately under lock and key. The facetious scenario you described is pretty much what I said when being interviewed for my licence renewal and was asked what I thought of using one of my firearms for self-defence.

Told the interviewer I'd be shot 49 times in the process of gearing up.

Here, you can be arrested for having a firearm stored in a state of readiness in your home.

Yeah, ditto. Again lol

When not cleaning/maintaining the gun into the safe it's got to go.

Hey interesting that you have to be interviewed for your license renewal, Wolf. I don't believe that happens in Oz (yet). I've only been licensed since August so yeah I wouldn't know from experience

Quote:
We're not allowed snakes* here, either

And I can't even train my Axolotyl to bark, let alone attack...

Hmm, weaponised snake? First catch your Taipan heh...

Old 01-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #43

I keep a coach gun loaded with 12 gauge 00 buck beside my bed, M&P .45 with gold dots a few feet from that. This guy normally sleeps next to the front window of the house as well. White shepherd/wolf mix.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:31 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
When not cleaning/maintaining the gun into the safe it's got to go.
You see, your honour, at the time I was attacked I was cleaning my firearms and checking my ammo.

At three in the morning.

In the dark.

Quote:
Hey interesting that you have to be interviewed for your license renewal, Wolf.
They interview us and our partners/flatmates to make sure that we haven't become psychotic axe-wielding maniacs since they last checked. They also inspect the storage to ensure it is up to spec - and that's bad enough just for cat A firearms, if you have a cat B (pistol) or cat E/C (military-style semiauto/collector) it really gets exotic. Fort Knox would probably only just pass muster.

Quote:
Hmm, weaponised snake? First catch your Taipan heh...
Now, we're talking. I'll take a matching pair - in Bianchi holsters, natch.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:34 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Adam_ View Post
This guy normally sleeps next to the front window of the house as well. White shepherd/wolf mix.
Very nice. Sadly, I can't have dogs in the place I'm living. I miss having a dog around.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #46

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
You see, your honour, at the time I was attacked I was cleaning my firearms and checking my ammo.

At three in the morning.

In the dark.

Damn, I'll have to remember that one lol

Quote:
They interview us and our partners/flatmates to make sure that we haven't become psychotic axe-wielding maniacs since they last checked. They also inspect the storage to ensure it is up to spec - and that's bad enough just for cat A firearms, if you have a cat B (pistol) or cat E/C (military-style semiauto/collector) it really gets exotic. Fort Knox would probably only just pass muster.

OK, interesting. I guess they take their chances on the psychotic axe-wielding maniac-possibilities here

But your local police can spring a surprise check on our safes at any time here, day or night. (can't wait til I eventually get my pistol; that should be a riot here in Redfern...I'll probably be on their 'must do weekly' list lol)

Pistol safes must be min 6mm steel compared to A/B 3mm, all dyna-bolted to the foundations if less than 150kg. God knows what they'd require for semi autos if we could have them

Old 01-02-2010, 06:23 AM   #47

+10 to having a dog!!! they are the best security system you can have....They have senses that we do not possess.. They can feel danger...When my Chloe Bear starts barking, I jump out of bed with my XD9 or Winchester 1300 to see whats going on(possum on the back porch lol). Also, I carry even when in the house. Someone could kick in your front door while you are eating dinner with your family or watching TV....

kudos to you for keeping your pistol safe from your child's reach...maybe you could get a tall nightstand to keep it by your bed and out of reach of your son/daughter... I have a 4 year old daughter and a 4 month old daughter so I know how it is

ALWAYS BE READY!!!

lolo-n-rose-053.jpg   lolo-n-rose-051.jpg   lolo-n-rose-050.jpg  

Springfield XD-9 Subcompact
Taurus Model 605 .357 Mag
Kel-Tec P32
Ruger 10-22
Winchester 1300 Rifled Deer Slug (Tactical)
Saiga 7.62x39

Last edited by CodyWalkerJr; 01-02-2010 at 06:31 AM.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #48

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hehe he looks suitably badass, Cody

Good backup!

Old 01-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #49

Definitely want to get my pistol licence but in addition to the money, there's the time factor. I already have enough hobbies for 4 people and I'm a working solo dad. I get 1 weekend free a fortnight and I generally have enough to do then as it is, without adding "attend requisite number of pistol club shoots" to the mix...

Old 01-02-2010, 07:54 AM   #50

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Definitely want to get my pistol licence but in addition to the money, there's the time factor. I already have enough hobbies for 4 people and I'm a working solo dad. I get 1 weekend free a fortnight and I generally have enough to do then as it is, without adding "attend requisite number of pistol club shoots" to the mix...

Well you obviously have what's commonly known as 'a life', Wolf

I'm pretty lucky in that the Rifle club I belong to is the only one in Australia which is multi-discipline - we can shoot service rifle, shotgun, IPSC & metallic silhouette (.22) comps. All under one roof (so to speak lol)

And I tend to compete every weekend so no problem getting the requisite no. of shoots in to keep my licence...kills me financially but hey