How Do You "DO" Home Defense? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How Do You "DO" Home Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I do have a 3 year old,that's why my gun is up so high in the master bedroom closet,and she can't get past the childproof locks to get into that room anyway,It's the best place I can think of putting it until I get one of those pistol lockboxes.I keep the safety off because it's just one more thing to forget,and I keep the gun unracked in case somehow(one in a million)my kid gets up there,nothing will happen by pulling the trigger.I will be retiring that gun for home defense in about a month because I am getting a GP100 .357 and will use that instead.
This is somethng you will learn with time. Child locks only make it hard for you to get in, not kids.

A few months ago our youngest son wanted his candy that we had hidden at the top of the hallway closet. It has one of those interior locking doorknobs. My wife and two girls and other son were outside. The boy got a toothpick from the kitchen. To it he had to stand a chair on top of a rubbermade bin and a barstool ontop of the chair. Then he used the tooth pick to pick the lock on the hallway closet and did the same thing to get his candy. He was only in the house alone for maybe five minutes.

Our youngest is about your kids age. But he is a very small boy because he was born so early.

When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it. No taxes, no debt, women did all the work. White man thought he could improve on a system like this.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
In Texas, we can shoot an intruder in the house or on your property. So if someone's trying to steal your car or your wheels, as long as it's on your property, you can protect it.
I love Texas.....and its laws allowing me to protect my family

Pistol grip 12 guage in between my computer desk and couch (i am usually sitting in the computer chair or by the arm of the couch) another 12 guage mounted above the mirror in the bathroom, my colt 1911 by the head of my bed and a raging bull at the foot, all loaded and ready to unload

Last edited by Jusselin; 12-31-2009 at 04:44 PM.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:10 PM   #33
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 699 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 729

I have a hidden finger open safe with a mixture of handguns.

Also dogs and an alarm system.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #34

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm married to a woman who can hear a mouse fart in a dead sleep!! We have a plan for nearly every scenario and practice it when ever she hears a mouse fart!

Tactical lights and firearms are readily available in nearly every room and I have been known to carry concealed!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #35

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I live alone with my dog, that makes things simple. When I'm awake I've always have a handgun on my hip or within arms reach when I'm working out.

At night I keep my S&W 686 loaded with .357s and my Remington 870 by the bed (in holsters mounted on the wall).

My house is very easy to defend, my bedroom is higher than the other rooms, I've got line of sight to my front door and excellent cover. Plus my bedroom door is the same size and thickness as my front door, the only difference is that instead of regular locks I just installed a few thick deadbolts.

If the alarm doesn't go off and the dog doesn't bark, a burglar would still need to go through two heavy duty doors without making noise to catch me off guard.

Luckily, home invasions is the one area where we've got good laws in Argentina. If a guy so much as pokes his head through my window I can blow it clean off without fear of legal problems.

As I said before, living by myself makes things really easy. Whenever I spend the night at my girlfriend's house (she's got a young kid) I wake up with every little noise and rush to the door.

Her house's been broken into twice already (they weren't there) and the layout is horrible from my admitedly paranoid point of view. The kid's room is too close to the front door, both bedroom doors can be seen clearly from the front door and the bloody walls are paper thin. I much prefer my nice old house with its thick double layer brick walls and high ceillings.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 12-31-2009, 11:29 PM   #36

I have small kids so I have to be careful about where I leave my weapons. If not for that I would probably have stuff stored around the house in strategic places. I just got a Mossberg 835 for Christmas and plan to make it the primary weapon in my home defense plan....

Old 12-31-2009, 11:59 PM   #37

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have my EDC gun on me at all times awake.

4" HK USP 9mm loaded with 124gr Gold dots and 124gr Ranger bonded.

My house gun is a Taurus 92AFS loaded with WCC 90gr+P Sinterfire frangible.

The first will get me to the latter, and both will allow me access to every gun in my safes, which are loaded to max cap and ready.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-01-2010, 12:07 AM   #38

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

It's funny how Hunter's ed preaches to keep all guns and ammo separate,and so does gun companies and others,but us mall ninja's can't help but think that's stupid and load our guns up anyways.I guess they expect us to grab our gun when we hear a noise-tell the intruder"hold on",go to a separate location to get a box of ammo-tell the intruder again"hold on,got to fill my clip",the say"i'm ready,come on in!"-then a bad guy with a gun misses me and I take him down with one shot of .22!Wait,back to reality-how about I got my gun ready and hope he goes down with 15 rounds of 9mm as i'm terrified he will kill my family,and keep my gun loaded always.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:17 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
It's funny how Hunter's ed preaches to keep all guns and ammo separate,and so does gun companies and others,but us mall ninja's can't help but think that's stupid and load our guns up anyways.I guess they expect us to grab our gun when we hear a noise-tell the intruder"hold on",go to a separate location to get a box of ammo-tell the intruder again"hold on,got to fill my clip",the say"i'm ready,come on in!"-then a bad guy with a gun misses me and I take him down with one shot of .22!
It's the law, here. Bolt, ammo and firearm stored separately under lock and key. The facetious scenario you described is pretty much what I said when being interviewed for my licence renewal and was asked what I thought of using one of my firearms for self-defence.

Told the interviewer I'd be shot 49 times in the process of gearing up.

Here, you can be arrested for having a firearm stored in a state of readiness in your home.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:36 AM   #40

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a pet Python.

OC

"magbum"