How Do You "DO" Home Defense? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

How Do You "DO" Home Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
In Texas, we can shoot an intruder in the house or on your property. So if someone's trying to steal your car or your wheels, as long as it's on your property, you can protect it.
Go back and re-read your Texas Handgun laws Manual. You will discover that you can protect anyone's property, not just your own.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf1066 View Post
It is a pretty heavy thing to contemplate for those of us not raised in an area where such rights are accorded. But it's also rather heavy when you hear of a young Maori bloke sitting at home watching TV with his young wife and infant child, there's a knock on the door and he goes to answer it suspecting nothing - because you do that here - then finds himself shot in the foot with a shotgun and hustled back into the house by an armed attacker.

He, his wife and infant child are then tied together on the couch, he's bleeding profusely and in pain, and the assailant and an accomplice ransack the place looking for drugs, threaten their lives and won't believe they have no drugs.

Seems the previous tenant had been a druggie and these guys thought he still lived there. They terrorised a young couple and threatened the life of their infant child and eventually left them bound on the couch - all because of wrong information.

That sort of sh!t makes you think, "Hmmmm, perhaps we need proper self-defence laws."

I don't know what I'd do if someone invaded my home and threatened the lives of my children, but I'd want to do something, I would not want to feel as helpless as that bloke and his wife bound on the couch with their lives and the life of their infant at the mercy of armed thugs who shoot first then try to determine if they got the right people...

Hey all too true. Similar things have happened here with the Lebanese gangs mistakenly bursting into the wrong people's houses in the western suburbs, after drug deals gone wrong...

But I can't ever see the laws on self defence changing, at least not in Australia (don't know if you ever traditionally had any in NZ).

It's not like we ever had those rights and lost them through capricious political do-goodism...they were never in existence in the first place.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:20 AM   #23

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I at least 1 gun in every room in my house, Ive purchessed several tokarev 7.62x35 and Makarov 9x18s. that i have strategically placed around the house, inexpensive, reliable surplus guns that shoot inexpensive ammo, works good for me... i usually carry my CCW also at my house. Oh yeah and a large collection of other handguns, shotguns and rifles if i need also..

Old 12-31-2009, 03:38 AM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazurd View Post
I at least 1 gun in every room in my house, Ive purchessed several tokarev 7.62x35 and Makarov 9x18s. that i have strategically placed around the house, inexpensive, reliable surplus guns that shoot inexpensive ammo, works good for me... i usually carry my CCW also at my house. Oh yeah and a large collection of other handguns, shotguns and rifles if i need also..

Someone I know does that with knives of various kinds...down the back of lounges, inside innocuous looking cupbaords, under beds etc. And he is a highly trained knife-fighter.

Still would do him bugger-all good up against the courts if he ever used them, I imagine

Old 12-31-2009, 04:28 AM   #25

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I keep a mossberg 590 with birdshot three birdshot rounds in the tube. Chambering a round is the warning, the next step is not gonna end well for them. I live in an apartment and my bedroom door faces my livivng room and can't risk penetration to the next apartment. Also, my barrel will fit under my door so I plan on taking their feet out. Also, I lock my doors religously

Old 12-31-2009, 06:29 AM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A plain ball-topped walking cane and a stout handle from a yard-broom. I tend to grab either of those if I have reason to believe that there's something going around the house.

Should give me an edge against a knife but not much else. I've done a bit of sword and quarterstaff training - enough to wield a stick with a bit more finesse than just waving it about.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts

I keep cocked & locked pistols hidden in every room in my home. Plus I keep a Ruger LCR in my pocket at all times. I also carry a Benchmade AFO in my pocket too.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:53 PM   #28

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
Go back and re-read your Texas Handgun laws Manual. You will discover that you can protect anyone's property, not just your own.
Right, I was talking about MY property.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:32 PM   #29

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

[IMG]How Do You "DO" Home Defense? - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection[/IMG]

And when the dogs are done with him I can put him out of his misery with the 12 gauge

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Last edited by Jo da Plumbr; 12-31-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:38 PM   #30

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

During the day, my XD-40 is on my person in a SuperTuck Deluxe IWB holster. At bedtime, the gun and my cellphone go on a table next to a Surefire 6P flashlight modified with the xenon bulb unit. My wife's XD-9SC w/ Trijicon night sights is two steps away. Our bedroom door is a solid wood door with a deadbolt lock operated with a thumb bolt. We have rehearsed a routine for home invasion, including a cell-call to 911 and retreating to cover, and all force up to and including deadly force will be used against the person or persons that try to break through the door.