How Do You "DO" Home Defense?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How Do You "DO" Home Defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default How Do You "DO" Home Defense?

I was just wondering what your plan of action is in the event your home is broken into.Mine is that I have a DA/SA 9mm with a magazine in it with the safety off,and the gun is in a closet that has an old holster mounted on the wall.All I need to do is run to the closet and grab the gun,I can do it in the dark too,and pull back the slide if need be.I used to have a revolver and I miss it.Even though the auto is pretty simple,it doesn't give me the sense of security the old .357 did.What is your plan or action you have if you ever hear someone breaking in?

dscf6648.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-29-2009, 10:43 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I have a loaded gun within a few feet of me anywhere I am in the house. On my desk where I'm typing this is a Walther PPK...

Old 12-29-2009, 11:18 PM   #3

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Nightstand, SA XD45 with Surefire X300 flashlight.
Corner of master bedroom, Browning BPS 12-gauge 20" barrel with (7) 3" 00buckshot.
Top dresser drawer, Wilson Combat Tactical Elite .45 ACP 8+1.
Middle dresser drawer, Taurus Judge with size 4 shot shells.
Closet, Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special in .45 ACP, 8+1;
Living room end table (and carry), Nighthawk T3 in .45 ACP, 7+1.

That's about it. Various guns loaded with 52 rounds of ammo. Then, if I go to the car, this changes a little bit.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I was just wondering what your plan of action is in the event your home is broken into.Mine is that I have a DA/SA 9mm with a magazine in it with the safety off,and the gun is in a closet that has an old holster mounted on the wall.All I need to do is run to the closet and grab the gun,I can do it in the dark too,and pull back the slide if need be.I used to have a revolver and I miss it.Even though the auto is pretty simple,it doesn't give me the sense of security the old .357 did.What is your plan or action you have if you ever hear someone breaking in?
Any kids in your place? And why do you think you need to store the pistol with the safety off...possibly in the dark?

Old 12-29-2009, 11:22 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Simple: I race out and confront the armed intruder, laugh maniacally as his ineffectual bullets bounce off my manly chest hairs then use my Mad Ninja Skillz(tm) to wrest the gun from him using only "reasonable force" (gods forfend I harm the poor underprivileged person whom society has forced to turn to a life of crime, his court-appointed lawyer would make me into hamburger) - or I expire messily in a hail of bullets or cower in my bed yelling "my computer and wallet are in the lounge, please don't hurt me"...

These are the only options the law allows me.

I'm not so sure on the efficacy of "Plan A", truth be told...

Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 PM   #6

or that....what he said.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Any kids in your place? And why do you think you need to store the pistol with the safety off...possibly in the dark?
I do have a 3 year old,that's why my gun is up so high in the master bedroom closet,and she can't get past the childproof locks to get into that room anyway,It's the best place I can think of putting it until I get one of those pistol lockboxes.I keep the safety off because it's just one more thing to forget,and I keep the gun unracked in case somehow(one in a million)my kid gets up there,nothing will happen by pulling the trigger.I will be retiring that gun for home defense in about a month because I am getting a GP100 .357 and will use that instead.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:40 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've got 17 rounds in my pants as I type this, 32 more on the way to the front door, and we all sleep right near a Maglite at the end of the day. I just can't see anyone doing a B/E sending an announcement beforehand.
That, and we have that Chihuahua/Jack Russel thing patrolling the compound.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 12-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I do have a 3 year old,that's why my gun is up so high in the master bedroom closet,and she can't get past the childproof locks to get into that room anyway,It's the best place I can think of putting it until I get one of those pistol lockboxes.I keep the safety off because it's just one more thing to forget,and I keep the gun unracked in case somehow(one in a million)my kid gets up there,nothing will happen by pulling the trigger.I will be retiring that gun for home defense in about a month because I am getting a GP100 .357 and will use that instead.
Good answers.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf1066 View Post
Simple: I race out and confront the armed intruder, laugh maniacally as his ineffectual bullets bounce off my manly chest hairs then use my Mad Ninja Skillz(tm) to wrest the gun from him using only "reasonable force" (gods forfend I harm the poor underprivileged person whom society has forced to turn to a life of crime, his court-appointed lawyer would make me into hamburger) - or I expire messily in a hail of bullets or cower in my bed yelling "my computer and wallet are in the lounge, please don't hurt me"...

These are the only options the law allows me.

I'm not so sure on the efficacy of "Plan A", truth be told...
The law where I am allows you to shoot and kill anyone who breaks into your house with no consequences.I did used to think my mad skills would be enough to ward off attackers-but there's a time to retire the numbchucks once reality sets in that without a gun i'm a dead ninja.Sorry to hear about your laws.I heard someone else on another site complain about Newzealand.I guess I should not complain about not getting my pistol carry permit,because I can own whatever firearms I want and use them on my property for defense.