How do you answer to 911 and police in the event you just used you weapon in defense? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How do you answer to 911 and police in the event you just used you weapon in defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

I think I would keep the piece aimed at the threat until the police arrived then place it and myself on the ground and wait for further instruction.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Here's an odd question, but still important:

What to do with your gun after the shooting?

1) Holster it hot. With a huge amount of adrenaline coursing through my veins I'd rather not holster my gun. Without being super careful, this is a possible moment one could shoot themselves.

2) Clear the chamber and holster it. I would never want to clear my gun after a critical incident in case the BG has friends.

3) Set it down hot. At least you don't have the risk of holstering and don't have a paper weight.

4) Clear it and set it down. All the risks of having a gun out when the police arrive, and none of the protection of a hot gun in case the BG's friends come back.

5) Tactical reload. This one really appeals to me.

If I had my wits about me, I am thinking I would strongly consider doing a tactical reload, removing my holster, and placing the hot gun into the holster. Then I'd set the holster near to me. It seems to me that a holstered gun would make arriving police feel a bit more comfortable.

What do y'all think?
curious as well. hopefully Canebrake will see this thread and give some input into what would be the best procedure in this situation.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #33

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris
Here's an odd question, but still important:

What to do with your gun after the shooting?

1) Holster it hot. With a huge amount of adrenaline coursing through my veins I'd rather not holster my gun. Without being super careful, this is a possible moment one could shoot themselves.

2) Clear the chamber and holster it. I would never want to clear my gun after a critical incident in case the BG has friends.

3) Set it down hot. At least you don't have the risk of holstering and don't have a paper weight.

4) Clear it and set it down. All the risks of having a gun out when the police arrive, and none of the protection of a hot gun in case the BG's friends come back.

5) Tactical reload. This one really appeals to me.

If I had my wits about me, I am thinking I would strongly consider doing a tactical reload, removing my holster, and placing the hot gun into the holster. Then I'd set the holster near to me. It seems to me that a holstered gun would make arriving police feel a bit more comfortable.

What do y'all think?
I fully agree with tactical reload if you have an extra mag available. This is just me but I want that gun as close to me as possible and that will be in my holster on my side just in case another BG comes out.

I train everything from the holster and I don't want a situation to happen were I can't defend myself since I left it on the hood or seat.

I do understand your concerns with reholstering and shooting yourself but isn't that why we train? Accidents do happen so I see where some have an issue with it.

Either way you go about it, you are 100% correct to not unload your weapon.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #34

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1482

Situation will dictate but if BG is down, I'd Sweep area for "other" threats...disarm BG by standing on his weapon...reload a fresh mag...and keep my eyes on any bystanders while I'm notifying 911 of a shooting and hanging up.

I'd like to be standing there gun holstered when LEO's roll up but that will depend on the bystanders...remember, thugs have buddies and there all "opportunistic". I feell their a lot less likely to seek payback toward a person who maintains control of the scene and is obviously ready to act again if needed.

I'm certain some will think that this Approach could make you look like a COP to witnesses and create problems later but our job is to survive the encounter. It's the attorneys job to ensure that doing so does not cost us our freedom. Just don't hamper him/her with unnecessary comments to LEO's.

Tack

Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #35

We all stress training but let's be clear. Were not simply talking about marksmanship and safety.

The ability to draw and shoot accurately and safely in only 1 side of the coin.

Command presence, the ability to control "and intimidate" if necessary is equally important.

Again, situation will always dictate but I highly recommend live action aggressor training which teaches people to use there voice as much as there weapon.

Should time or opponent allow...lots of witnesses hearing shout of STOP, DROP THE WEAPON, THAT'S CLOSE ENOUGH, before they hear BANG BANG is not a bad thing.

I know we all imagine the worst case scenario of a thug with a firearm on top of us before we can draw...and it does happen...just ask Zimmerman...

...but my one instance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time was against 3 Agressive teens with no obvious weapons but obvious malicious intent. Fortunately, grasping my holstered 1911 and strong voice commands convinced them that discretion WAS the better part of valor.

Tack

Old 01-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Situation will dictate but if BG is down, I'd Sweep area for "other" threats...disarm BG by standing on his weapon...

Tack
I just flashed back to the story about the naked whacko "attacking" the Rottweiler and LOL'd at the idea of Tack disarming the BG by "standing on his weapon".

I gotta find a headshrinker.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I just flashed back to the story about the naked whacko "attacking" the Rottweiler and LOL'd at the idea of Tack disarming the BG by "standing on his weapon".

I gotta find a headshrinker.
You are TWISTED Gello...TWISTED.