How do you answer to 911 and police in the event you just used you weapon in defense? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How do you answer to 911 and police in the event you just used you weapon in defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Wait, so we couldn't keep a trophy, maybe an ear? Dern [kicks dirt]
Lol that's good!

Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #22

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Here's my take, take it or leave it, agree or dis-.

Just like in everything, I approach each situation individually and as it comes. I prepare for nothing in any specific way, all I do is try to be the best human being I can and/or allow myself to be. If this finds me legally liable for something then so be it. I will not set myself or anyone else up for failure by assuming. I believe in truth and honesty as sole righteousness and I want to believe a jury will to, if it should come to that. I know that's naive, but I don't consider naivety such a bad thing.
It is naive and could cost you A lot...

I think of having a "script" the same way a stage actor looks at it. Thinking you know how you'll react before you've been involved in a shooting then actually dealing with it is A LOT like steping onto a stage for the first time...

Stagefright! We have all either seen it or experienced it...and you will definitely experience it when 4 cruisers roll up to find you, armed, and standing over a corpse!

The purpose of the script is not to ensure you say the right things...it's to prevent you from saying the WRONG things.

But hey, to each there own...good luck and be safe.

Tack

Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

It is naive and could cost you A lot... Tack
I respect your decision to do what you think necessary for yourself, Tack.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #24

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1482

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I respect your decision to do what you think necessary for yourself, Tack.
And Respect your...just saying, I've read many many articles written by expert deffense witnesses who all say the same thing...shut up.

Theese guys make good money offering cross testimony explaining why there client said "your Fu(&ING A RIGHT I SHOT HIM" to a 911 operator because they too thought they could control there emotions in future event of a magnitude they'd never dealt with before.

Personally, I'd rather see it stoped at the grand jurry level rather than open my big mouth and say something that the Grand Jury decides an actual Jury needs to hear.

Tack
Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

And Respect your...just saying, I've read many many articles written by expert deffense witnesses who all say the same thing...shut up.

Theese guys make good money offering cross testimony explaining why there client said "your Fu(&ING A RIGHT I SHOT HIM" to a 911 operator because they too thought they could control there emotions in future event of a magnitude they'd never dealt with before.

Personally, I'd rather see it stoped at the grand jurry level rather than open my big mouth and say something that the Grand Jury decides an actual Jury needs to hear.

Tack
I don't disagree with your thoughts at all, Tack. I too've heard the stories and witnessed such reports.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #26

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Explain you are too upset to dicuss the situation and tell them you want a lawyer who will accompany you to answer any and all question as soon as you are up to it. Period. Done. Unless they charge you -- in which case you get a lawyer for free...

Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Explain you are too upset to dicuss the situation and tell them you want a lawyer who will accompany you to answer any and all question as soon as you are up to it. Period. Done. Unless they charge you -- in which case you get a lawyer for free...
This would be a good chose of action.

I was once told that you should make it clear you wish to be fully cooperative and plan on doing so just as soon as you are of sound body and mind to do so, but in the immediate you need to either go home or be seen by a doctor.

However this only applies to on the scene interrogation attempts by the police. The OP asked about the 911 call, which should be placed immediately following the altercation/indecent. I would imagine it much more difficult to complete this.

Honestly I would guess that I'd be lucky enough to form a compete sentence other than to state my name and stumble toward giving a location.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:00 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Oh and I was also told that you can voluntarily invoke your marranda rights under the 4th, 5th, and 6th amendments. Up until you do so, the police can question you and use everything you say in court. After invoking your rights, they have to stop asking questions

Old 01-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #29
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
the part of the Miranda warning, "and if you cannot afford one, one will be appointed for you", is the key sentence here. meaning the court says if you can afford to post bond to get out of jail, then you can afford your own attorney. want a court appointed public defender? well then if you can't afford to post bond and you sit out the entired duration of from the time you are arrested, until you go to court and are either sentenced or acquited.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #30

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Here's an odd question, but still important:

What to do with your gun after the shooting?

1) Holster it hot. With a huge amount of adrenaline coursing through my veins I'd rather not holster my gun. Without being super careful, this is a possible moment one could shoot themselves.

2) Clear the chamber and holster it. I would never want to clear my gun after a critical incident in case the BG has friends.

3) Set it down hot. At least you don't have the risk of holstering and don't have a paper weight.

4) Clear it and set it down. All the risks of having a gun out when the police arrive, and none of the protection of a hot gun in case the BG's friends come back.

5) Tactical reload. This one really appeals to me.

If I had my wits about me, I am thinking I would strongly consider doing a tactical reload, removing my holster, and placing the hot gun into the holster. Then I'd set the holster near to me. It seems to me that a holstered gun would make arriving police feel a bit more comfortable.

What do y'all think?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face