How do you answer to 911 and police in the event you just used you weapon in defense? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How do you answer to 911 and police in the event you just used you weapon in defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

If you hang up on 911 after reporting a shooting, you will get a call back if the 911 center is any good.
They want all the info they can get when sending their responders into a dangerous situation.
Not all 911 centers are the same though.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5520 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
when and if a self defense shooting happens your emotions and adranaline will be running so high and fast you may forget all the scripts and preperations anyway,just remember to tell the truth and be ready for a long and unpleasent investigation that will set you free if it is deemed self defense,also remember there will be a cival trial more than likely brought on by the family this worries me more than the cops.
In wisconsin if a shooting is determined to be self defense civil action cannot be taken against the person defending themselves or others. Nothing stopping the victim from suing the criminal or his family however....

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7036 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 8481

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
This sticky is an excellent read and opened my eyes to many ideas I never even considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I do wonder who I would call for legal representation...
In my opinion, if you conceal carry you should already know a gun law savvy lawyer. You don't want to begin looking for one when you need one immediately.
People Like This 
Old 01-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5520 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
This sticky is an excellent read and opened my eyes to many ideas I never even considered.

In my opinion, if you conceal carry you should already know a gun law savvy lawyer. You don't want to begin looking for one when you need one immediately.
This is great advice. I keep the lawyer that did my nfa trust in my cell phone. If he cant help he can refer me to someone who can. The nra is also a good source for picking an attourney in your area.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #15

Liked 4730 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1455

TBear, CHLChris, and Cains sticky are words to live by because:

Adrenaline and fear WILL make you say something stupid.
Everything you say will be recorded or written down...and played back many months later...in a climate controlled room...To a bored Jury.

Comments that made perfect sence in the heat of the moment WILL SOUND CRAZY to the bored and comfortable jurors!

It is NOT your job to prove your innocence...it's their job to prove your guilt and talking only HELPS them do it.

You are not qualified to prove anything...your attorney is qualified to MAKE them proove your guilt.

Surviving a deadly encounter IS something we all can and should train for. Surviving "the system" after the fact is NOT. Leave ^^THIS^^ to a professional.

All of this advice becomes much easier to accept when you recognize that NO ONE is going to pat you on the back and send you home after you've taken a human life...just aint gonna happen partner!

You will loose your gun and you will be arrested...whether or not you permanently loose your freedom depends greatly on how much you run your mouth trying to prevent being arrested.

It will happen so accept it, keep your mouth shut, and let your lawyer fight the next battle...you've already done all you could before the first cop arrived on scene.

Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBear View Post
In both of those situations you have admitted guilt. Never admit to anything.

"911. What is your emergency?"

"There has been a shooting at (address/nearby business) with (number of bad guys). I am in the parking lot in a green t-shirt and jeans. My name is (your name). There are more possible bad guys in the area so it is not safe for me to talk right now." Hang up.

No operator should say, stay on the phone even if it kills you.

You didn't lie. You didn't admit guilt. You just told the operator there was a shooting and you are a possible witness. You never admitted to being in a shooting. Call your lawyer if you have one for this type of situation. Hand the officer the phone and tell him, "this is my lawyer and all questions will need to go through him." Either way you are going to jail but you will be protected by your lawyer. Then you can calm down and make sure you say the "RIGHT" things and not something that will land you in prison for defending yourself.

If you don't have a lawyer, first off get one, second then just tell them "I called 911 and I am requesting a lawyer. Here's my CHL and I have a concealed gun on my right hip." Never admitted to anything but now they know you have the right to carry and that will help out a lot.

It ain't perfect but it will work.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1990 Times on 1037 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Heck, if the cops gave me any guff, I'd just tell them "it was the gun, not me, that shot the man". That argument would satisfy a great many in this country from what I can tell

Old 01-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #17

Liked 410 Times on 256 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
In wisconsin if a shooting is determined to be self defense civil action cannot be taken against the person defending themselves or others. Nothing stopping the victim from suing the criminal or his family however....
i wish they would implement that rule in all states but here in california you can be sued for anything.the only thing you could do is counter sue and hope to break even.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 539 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 215

I just took my CHL class two weeks ago. Here is what my instructor told us:
1) immediately call 911 and immediately request an ambulance. It shows that you are still trying to save the life of the bad guy.
2) give your name and address. Don't say that you shot somebody just say that someone broke into your house or whatever and there has been a shooting.
3) GET OFF THE PHONE WITH 911 ASAP. Our instructor said to say whatever you can to get off the phone because 911 records every word you say and it can be used against you in court.

Next, you should call your lawyer. I don't know where some of y'all live but ere in Texas there is a program that every gun owner should sign up for IMO. It's called texaslawshield.com an it is a group of lawyers that will come to the crime scene and protect you all through the legal process. Best of all you will not pay them any lawyer fees or costs. That's because you pay an annual membership fee to be a client. It's like buying homeowners issuance in that you pay them wether you need to file a claim or not, the good news is that they don't have any deductibles.

The whole program is not that expensive considering that our instructor told us that any shooting incident here in Texas has to go to a grand jury regardless of wether you broke any laws or not. Then the grand jury decides to let you go or send you to court. The cost to get to the grand jury in regular lawyer fees is $10,000 plus. This organization doesn't charge you a thing even through court and any civil suits.

As my instructor said, a shooting can be a very expensive situation that could cost you everything you have worked for in life, even if you are completely innocent. That's just the way our judicial system is. That guy who shot the two guys robbing his neighbors house with his shotgun a few years back in Houston, you know the guy who stayed on the phone with 911 and said he was going to shoot them, his court costs totaled $450,000 before it was all said and done. Oh and by the way, what we saw of that on the news was NOT what happened. But that's for another post if anyone actually wants to here the facts on that story

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 01-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Wait, so we couldn't keep a trophy, maybe an ear? Dern [kicks dirt]

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #20

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Here's my take, take it or leave it, agree or dis-.

Just like in everything, I approach each situation individually and as it comes. I prepare for nothing in any specific way, all I do is try to be the best human being I can and/or allow myself to be. If this finds me legally liable for something then so be it. I will not set myself or anyone else up for failure by assuming. I believe in truth and honesty as sole righteousness and I want to believe a jury will to, if it should come to that. I know that's naive, but I don't consider naivety such a bad thing.