Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > How do you answer to 911 and police in the event you just used you weapon in defense?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Default How do you answer to 911 and police in the event you just used you weapon in defense?

Okay so I just took my CC class and one question I forgot to ask him was how to tell police and 911 that you just shoot someone. My father who is also a CC holder said his instructor told him to never tell 911 and police that you just shot the perp but request a '96 hour silence' kind of a deal like cops get when involved in an altercation. They get a paid administrative leave pending a case. I don't think that is a great idea, I believe you should tell the 911 operator and police that you did shoot the bad guy but that you did have a reasonable reason to stop the threat... No you didn't shoot to kill but to stop the suspect from doing harm to you or your family. How would you respond to these questions if asked by police??

I have been carrying for a while now both open and concealed while staying legal. I figured it was time to get my CCW so I can branch out and carry without worrying about a felony and screwing up my chances of carrying. I've been shooting for 14 years and am a current Marine so I can not and do not want to miss out on such an important right. I just want the knowledge from people who have been carrying for some time.

Thanks for your input!

image-729970867.jpg  
__________________
marinefreak200 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern,WI
Posts: 1,103
Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Default

Read this Sticky by Canebrake:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/read-before-you-decide-carry-67036/

__________________

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

blucoondawg is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CHLChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Portland,Oregon
Posts: 2,523
Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default

"I need help right away. (One man/two people) has been shot and is (lying on the floor/hanging out of my window). (Give address/name) My life was in danger and I had to protect myself." No more. You may repeat the same sentences again as appropriate. I would probably stay on the phone, but any requests for further details would result in me repeating the last sentence again. And again.

When the police arrive, I'd say as little as possible, just reiterations of the same key phrase, "My life was in danger and I had to protect myself."

I do wonder who I would call for legal representation...

__________________
.45acp, .40 S&W, 9mm, .38 Spl, .380 acp, 22lr
12 gauge, .223/5.56x45mm, 30-30 Winchester


2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face
CHLChris is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:58 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,208
Liked 20895 Times on 11878 Posts
Likes Given: 52454

Default

i have to agree with both these. please read the sticky that Canebrake wrote at the beginning of this section. very informative and very detailed. many of your concerns are answered here.

key word here is, you were involved in a shooting, not that you shot anyone. now you really haven't given any details, but you can't be accused of lying either. you were involved in a shooting if you discharged your firearm.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
dog2000tj Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:10 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TexasBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 38
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

In both of those situations you have admitted guilt. Never admit to anything.

"911. What is your emergency?"

"There has been a shooting at (address/nearby business) with (number of bad guys). I am in the parking lot in a green t-shirt and jeans. My name is (your name). There are more possible bad guys in the area so it is not safe for me to talk right now." Hang up.

No operator should say, stay on the phone even if it kills you.

You didn't lie. You didn't admit guilt. You just told the operator there was a shooting and you are a possible witness. You never admitted to being in a shooting. Call your lawyer if you have one for this type of situation. Hand the officer the phone and tell him, "this is my lawyer and all questions will need to go through him." Either way you are going to jail but you will be protected by your lawyer. Then you can calm down and make sure you say the "RIGHT" things and not something that will land you in prison for defending yourself.

If you don't have a lawyer, first off get one, second then just tell them "I called 911 and I am requesting a lawyer. Here's my CHL and I have a concealed gun on my right hip." Never admitted to anything but now they know you have the right to carry and that will help out a lot.

It ain't perfect but it will work.

__________________
TexasBear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DoyleTheDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 301
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBear View Post
In both of those situations you have admitted guilt. Never admit to anything.

"911. What is your emergency?"

"There has been a shooting at (address/nearby business) with (number of bad guys). I am in the parking lot in a green t-shirt and jeans. My name is (your name). There are more possible bad guys in the area so it is not safe for me to talk right now." Hang up.

No operator should say, stay on the phone even if it kills you.

You didn't lie. You didn't admit guilt. You just told the operator there was a shooting and you are a possible witness. You never admitted to being in a shooting. Call your lawyer if you have one for this type of situation. Hand the officer the phone and tell him, "this is my lawyer and all questions will need to go through him." Either way you are going to jail but you will be protected by your lawyer. Then you can calm down and make sure you say the "RIGHT" things and not something that will land you in prison for defending yourself.

If you don't have a lawyer, first off get one, second then just tell them "I called 911 and I am requesting a lawyer. Here's my CHL and I have a concealed gun on my right hip." Never admitted to anything but now they know you have the right to carry and that will help out a lot.

It ain't perfect but it will work.
When it comes to a self defense shooting why would you try to deny the fact that you had to stop the threat with your firearm? That would just make officers more on guard at the scene or give them reason to believe you're not being fully honest. You don't have to give EVERY single detail, but it would be pretty obvious that you shot the BG at that point anyways.

I still think Canebrake's post about concealed carrying is some of the best advice I've read.
__________________
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams
DoyleTheDog is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,368
Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Default

Dont be all paranoid unless you are in some place like chitcago or newyork where its illegal to not let a gangbanger kill you.

Hiding the truth is what will hurt you or being evasive will hurt you. The investigation will get to the truth with you or without you. If it was true self defense the truth will set you free.

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rifleman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Live Oak,California
Posts: 1,575
Liked 401 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1126

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Dont be all paranoid unless you are in some place like chitcago or newyork where its illegal to not let a gangbanger kill you.

Hiding the truth is what will hurt you or being evasive will hurt you. The investigation will get to the truth with you or without you. If it was true self defense the truth will set you free.
when and if a self defense shooting happens your emotions and adranaline will be running so high and fast you may forget all the scripts and preperations anyway,just remember to tell the truth and be ready for a long and unpleasent investigation that will set you free if it is deemed self defense,also remember there will be a cival trial more than likely brought on by the family this worries me more than the cops.
__________________

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

rifleman1 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DoyleTheDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 301
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
when and if a self defense shooting happens your emotions and adranaline will be running so high and fast you may forget all the scripts and preperations anyway,just remember to tell the truth and be ready for a long and unpleasent investigation that will set you free if it is deemed self defense,also remember there will be a cival trial more than likely brought on by the family this worries me more than the cops.
If you're found innocent and it was deemed self defense by a judge and jury then a civil suit by the family most likely wouldn't go any where.
__________________
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams
DoyleTheDog is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,820
Liked 1487 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 514

Default

The best thing to say is I am not ready to take any questions right now. I don't feel so well. I need an ambulance. The police can not legally question you until you receive medical treatment. Going to the hospital buys you time to contact an attorney and get your act together. Other than preserving and pointing out evidence that proves you were attacked, say nothing.

__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato


Last edited by John_Deer; 01-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.
John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Why is the shotgun the best weapon for home defense? elglockeroloko30 General Shotgun Discussion 84 03-24-2013 06:39 PM
Is your AR, your primary home defense weapon? connectegr AR-15 Discussion 35 03-18-2013 03:56 AM
Police return rare WWII weapon in gun buyback Bigcountry02 Legal and Activism 20 12-14-2012 10:58 AM
police answer 911 call then shoot caller accidently downsouth Firearms in the Media 20 09-03-2012 03:24 PM
home defense weapon Bee Revolver Handguns 2 02-20-2010 03:58 PM